GASP!!!! I ripped the hair out of my head

mezzogirl

Just a few minutes ago, I was putting my wet hair in several ponytails and putting rollers at the end to dry them. I took a long time to detangle and did not have any hair in my comb. Then horror of horrors, when I pulled my very underproccessed crown hair through the ponytail holder, I ripped a plug of hair out:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:. I can't tell you the devestation. That is the second time I've ripped hair out ( in that same section) while trying to dry in a ponytail within the past six months.

Maybe the wet ponytail mehtod is not for me. :cry3::cry2::cry3:

Opalsunset

Mezzogirl! Im so sorry to hear this! If this is the second time it has happened with the wet ponytail I would advise not to continue to do the method. The ladies here may have more information than I do what to do about it very soon.Feel better and don't get discouraged from your hair journey.

mezzogirl

Mezzogirl! Im so sorry to hear this! If this is the second time it has happened with the wet ponytail I would advise not to continue to do the method. The ladies here may have more information than I do what to do about it very soon.Feel better and don't get discouraged from your hair journey.

Thank you Opalsunset for your encouraging words.

Iluvsmuhgrass

:bighug: I'm sorry to hear that. If it doesn't work, don't be discouraged but DO stop doing it.

I had a similar setback when I was turned on to detangling in the shower. I lost soooooooooooo much hair. I was being very gentle and my hair was in great condition.....

I would baby that spot and try to find out what it needs. Hope everything works out well.

poookie

yes! no more ponytails!!!!!

but i'm sorry this happened to you. i lost a chunk of hair last weekend, too. i closed a small section of it in the car window, and moved forward to pick up something that fell on the floor... ouch :perplexed

mezzogirl

yes! no more ponytails!!!!!

but i'm sorry this happened to you. i lost a chunk of hair last weekend, too. i closed a small section of it in the car window, and moved forward to pick up something that fell on the floor... ouch :perplexed

Oh My Gosh:whyme:I'm so sorry. Bummer.

Thanks everyone for the sympathy. I feel better. I am a little afraid of wet pony tails. The thing is my other pony tails were fine and my ng was really straight and the ends were smooth when I finished. I'm thinking because the hair on my crown is a much coarser texture than the rest of my hair, when I have lots of ng, it breaks easier.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I never tried the ponytail method but I feel your pain. I was undoing a braid for a braidout and encountered a knot, being impatient I just ripped it. It was inched of hair loss.:nono: I was down about that.

pear

I am so sorry to hear that. I have to be EXTRA gentle with my hair in my crown area also. Unfortunately no matter how gentle I am with the hair in that area, I always lose much more when I rollerset.

My crown is like this terrible, dry, coarse texture that is driving me crazy so I feel your pain!

Like others have said, maybe the pony tail method is not the best for your hair or maybe you can section off the crown area and put individual rollers in that area and use the ponytail method for the rest of your hair?

ebzonix

i feel for you. maybe you shouldnt try the ponytail method again. i'm really sorry this has happened to you again.

HighlyFavored1

What do you think happened? Were you accidentally pulling too hard? It seems that if you are extra-gentle then it should not come out, but I could not tell from your description if you actually ripped the hair somewhere along the shaft or if ic came from the scalp.

Sorry this happened :(

mezzogirl

What do you think happened? Were you accidentally pulling too hard? It seems that if you are extra-gentle then it should not come out, but I could not tell from your description if you actually ripped the hair somewhere along the shaft or if ic came from the scalp.

Sorry this happened :(

As I was pulling the hair back and forth thru the band, the hair got caught on the band and long strands ripped out from my ng. I have little short hairs on my crown that stand up and the remainder of my hair is a little below SL.:sad:

mezzogirl

I am so sorry to hear that. I have to be EXTRA gentle with my hair in my crown area also. Unfortunately no matter how gentle I am with the hair in that area, I always lose much more when I rollerset.

My crown is like this terrible, dry, coarse texture that is driving me crazy so I feel your pain!

Like others have said, maybe the pony tail method is not the best for your hair or maybe you can section off the crown area and put individual rollers in that area and use the ponytail method for the rest of your hair?[/quote]

(bolded) is a good idea. i didn't think of that. The only thing is, if there is any part that i need to be pulled straight, it would be my crown. But I think your idea is good alternative. I will try that.

HighlyFavored1

As I was pulling the hair back and forth thru the band, the hair got caught on the band and long strands ripped out from my ng. I have little short hairs on my crown that stand up and the remainder of my hair is a little below SL.:sad:

Oh gosh! I see what you mean now. This has happened to me before with clips. :(

I just read another thread about using cut-up stockings as ponytail holders. Maybe you should check it out because it seemed very useful in avoiding problems like this that you can encounter with regular ponytail holders.

KnottyGurl

I had a slight problem with that happening too. I put my hair in ponytails so the roots can dry straight. I discovered that it wouldn't be a problem if I go slower, much slower. I'm about shoulder length or alittle below, but if your hair is longer, braid or twist the length of it FIRST, then put it in a ponytail.:yep:

Just a few minutes ago, I was putting my wet hair in several ponytails and putting rollers at the end to dry them. I took a long time to detangle and did not have any hair in my comb. Then horror of horrors, when I pulled my very underproccessed crown hair through the ponytail holder, I ripped a plug of hair out:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:. I can't tell you the devestation. That is the second time I've ripped hair out ( in that same section) while trying to dry in a ponytail within the past six months.

Maybe the wet ponytail mehtod is not for me. :cry3::cry2::cry3:

mezzogirl

I had a slight problem with that happening too. I put my hair in ponytails so the roots can dry straight. I discovered that it wouldn't be a problem if I go slower, much slower. I'm about shoulder length or alittle below, but if your hair is longer, braid or twist the length of it FIRST, then put it in a ponytail.:yep:

Thanx GeechyGurl. Yet another great idea. I love the ladies on this board.

mezzogirl

Oh gosh! I see what you mean now. This has happened to me before with clips. :(

I just read another thread about using cut-up stockings as ponytail holders. Maybe you should check it out because it seemed very useful in avoiding problems like this that you can encounter with regular ponytail holders.

Thanx HighlyFavored1.

Christa438

:sad: So sorry. It's emotionally painfully as well as physically painful to lose any amount of hair that isn't shed hair: I dont care if it is one strand lol. I also think that the wet ponytail is the problem. also i would like to know if your hair is more on the soaking wet side or more on the damp but drying side when you do your ponytail? because from what I hear that does make all the difference-- something to do with the way the hair is stretched and will try to return to it's regular length but it will cause breakage during the contraction/shrinkage as it dries if there's too much tension/pulling. do you think you may be able to bun instead?

keep your head up though, I know you'll find a great solution and bounce back!
(((HUGZ)))

mezzogirl

:sad: So sorry. It's emotionally painfully as well as physically painful to lose any amount of hair that isn't shed hair: I dont care if it is one strand lol. I also think that the wet ponytail is the problem. also i would like to know if your hair is more on the soaking wet side or more on the damp but drying side when you do your ponytail? because from what I hear that does make all the difference-- something to do with the way the hair is stretched and will try to return to it's regular length but it will cause breakage during the contraction/shrinkage as it dries if there's too much tension/pulling. do you think you may be able to bun instead?

keep your head up though, I know you'll find a great solution and bounce back!
(((HUGZ)))

I don't do my ponytails dripping wet. Usually after a towel has been wrapped around it. I thought bunning was done with a ponytail holder (band). how do you bun?