Full & Healthy Crown & Edges Challenge 2012

I need to do better at keeping this thread moving.

Yesterday, I cut my hair to 2" so I am starting over. So since its so short, I thought it was a good time to take pics of my scalp. My hair is still thin at the crown. I know this because i can feel it. But it looks and feels like its better than it was 2 years ago.

I will take pictures again as it gets longer. Sometimes its easier to see the thinning as the hair gets longer.

ScalpAug12P1 (640x492).jpg

ScalpAug12P2 (640x446).jpg

ScalpAug12P4 (640x484).jpg

I am now using MN, MT, MTG, emu oil, coconut oil, and hair trigger in a spray bottle on my edges. Im spraying twice a day.

faithVA said:
I need to do better at keeping this thread moving.

Yesterday, I cut my hair to 2" so I am starting over. So since its so short, I thought it was a good time to take pics of my scalp. My hair is still thin at the crown. I know this because i can feel it. But it looks and feels like its better than it was 2 years ago.

I will take pictures again as it gets longer. Sometimes its easier to see the thinning as the hair gets longer.

faithVA, your hair looks nice - I love the color. I can't "see" any thin areas. I know it's not what you had planned, but hopefully it will all work out in your favor. I hear you grow quicker after a good cut and ridding yourself of damage. I just cut a few inches to get rid of my splits and frayed ends. It's my hope to switch my focus to the health if my hair and not so much on the length in hopes to not have my ends get like that again.

[USER=98259 said:
gvin89[/USER];16560913]@faithVA, your hair looks nice - I love the color. I can't "see" any thin areas. I know it's not what you had planned, but hopefully it will all work out in your favor. I hear you grow quicker after a good cut and ridding yourself of damage. I just cut a few inches to get rid of my splits and frayed ends. It's my hope to switch my focus to the health if my hair and not so much on the length in hopes to not have my ends get like that again.

Thanks! Definitely not what I planned but :ohwell: It's life and I have to deal with it now. :yep:

I didn't see any thin areas either. I do have a small section that I'm still working with but with it short like this I should be able to get to my scalp easier. So maybe I can heal it over the next 4 months. My hair is way different than the first time I big chopped. Not exactly sure why but it is.

I am also switching my focus from length to health. I do want some length though :lol: First a puff then a bun. So whatever lengths those are, I'm good.

Didn't wait a week to start applying MN mix on edges after my relaxer. Too impatient.

Reading other threads and seeing how buns can make edges worse. I don't make the pony tail too tight so hopefully that won't be the case. Also read about cotton headbands doing the same. Darn I just bought some. I'll see if I can find the receipt, but I ripped the packaging so prob not going to get my money back.

I usually weave it up for winter. I'll miss the convenience.

I don't really like doing the side part. I wish I could just do a slicked back pony tail/bun.

Didn't wait a week to start applying MN mix on edges after my relaxer. Too impatient.

Reading other threads and seeing how buns can make edges worse. I don't make the pony tail too tight so hopefully that won't be the case. Also read about cotton headbands doing the same. Darn I just bought some. I'll see if I can find the receipt, but I ripped the packaging so prob not going to get my money back.

I usually weave it up for winter. I'll miss the convenience.

I don't really like doing the side part. I wish I could just do a slicked back pony tail/bun.

If you moisturize your edges well, you can wear the headbands every now and then.

I noticed even with my puffs, even if they aren't tight, if I do them too frequently they stress my edges. So I just make sure I give them a break.

Its the same with headbands. If you pull your hair back too often you may notice it around your edges.

I have resisted the temptation to wear a headband every day. I did the first week of my cut. But around the weekend, I found a way to give my twa some texture so I felt comfortable wearing it without a headband. I can notice a difference in my edges just wearing the headband for a few days.

Ok, so after weeks of trial and error, here's the hair growth regimen/tools I've stuck with for the past two weeks:

1. Drinking bamboo tea everyday. Apparently high in silica and very good for hair, skin and nails.
2. Massaging my thin spots every night and my entire scalp 2ce a week with rejuvenate potent castor oil. This oil has some pretty nice stuff in it. sometimes I alternate with my other oil mix which contains carrot oil, coconut oil, emu oil, castor oil, and essential oils.
3. Hair, skin and nail vitamins 2ce a day.
4. Rolling my scalp once a month to start with.
5. Reduced manipulation to wash days only.

I'm sticking with this and not adding any new stuff until November when I take an assessment. The thin spots don't look as dismal as they did when I started but I still can't pull my hair back.

Checking in..I am still applying MN my edges. The right side is almost completely filled in, but the left side not so much. One of my hair goals is to have full edges. If I reach that goal I will post before and after pics.. if I think I can bare the embarrassment...

Spritzed my hair, then used sulfur oil on my scalp. I concentrated a lot of oil on my edges and massaged it in gently. I believe my edges are filling in nicely, so I do hope my belief is becoming my reality. :)

Checking in. Tardy to the Party!:lol:

Still 'babying' the area where I had my Durag tied too tightly under my Wig.

Still rotating several things on that area:

It's Perfectly Natural's Root Food & IPN's Tea-Lightful Pomade
Hairitage Hydrations "Sprout"
Mega-Tek (DC'ing with that)following up with Moisturizing DC'er
M/N
Various Oils
Viviscal 2x per day
Drinking a Tablespoon of Liquid Silica
And still Tea Rinsing.

I'm a slow-grower, but things are filling in that area nicely. As long as I don't have a set-back, I'm good.

Soooooo, I've had an awful setback. Not sure how it happened, but my edges on the right side knotted up and popped off! I'm so hurt because it took 2 years to grow. I will be trying again...

It's been a minute...sorry I've been MIA. My right edges are trying to recover. Left are still doing well. I'm still using Claudie's and hope to see consistent growth.

Updated pics of my edges, I can never get the pics to face the right direction, smh.
The first three picts are of my edges as of yesterday, the last two were taken in Feb 2012 after let I a braider with a questionable hairline of her own cornrow my hair...suffice to say never again.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120822_201841.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120822_201841.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 34
  • ForumRunner_20120822_201853.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120822_201853.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 31
  • ForumRunner_20120822_201911.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120822_201911.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20120224_001243.jpg
    20120224_001243.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20120224_001324.jpg
    20120224_001324.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
On Friday, massaged my scalp with my oil, covered with DC and sat under my heat cap for 30 minutes. Right now my hair looks like it has filled in all over. But I think I will see the difference one my hair grows out. Going to try to stay consistent with my weekly treatments for the rest of the year. Going to go for 1 midweek and 1 weekend.

Massaged in the last bit of my sulfur oil to my whole scalp, and then used JBCO on my hairline.

I cannot sleep with anything on my head. I am aware of it all night. Satin sheets it is. Rubbed in jbco this morning.

i have been faithfully keeping my edges moisturize everyday 2x aday with JBCO and I have seen no change with my edges:ohwell:

[USER=25764 said:
Firstborn2[/USER];16769009]i have been faithfully keeping my edges moisturize everyday 2x aday with JBCO and I have seen no change with my edges:ohwell:

try adding some essential oils to your jbco: basil, thyme, rosemary, lavender.

And/or mix it with some AVG to give it more moisture.

Oils by themselves did nothing for my hair.

I've been massaging my scalp for 1 minute after applying my sulphur mix and hanging my head upside down for 1 minute/ daily. So far so god :).

try adding some essential oils to your jbco: basil, thyme, rosemary, lavender.

And/or mix it with some AVG to give it more moisture.

Oils by themselves did nothing for my hair.

I have been using plain water to moisten my edges and then sealing with JBCO. I will try your suggestions as well. Which brand of AVG are you using . I have a bottle of Fruit of the Earth or should I try another brand?

@pinkness27

I'm using Saw Palmetto (Tea Rinse) to block DHT. Also, Coffee/Black Tea Rinses also block/remove DHT

And I'm also using other product(s) that also help block/remove DHT.

Back