Any Tips for a First Time Self-Relaxer?

Kamilla16

Hello,
Do any of you who self relax have any tips that could help me out? Since my cousin went to college I have to relax my own hair. I sorta know what I'm doing but then again I don't. Also how do you style our hair after the relaxer process so that the ends are straight?

Thanks for all suggestions.
wink.gif

Multiple mirrors or someone to help u with the back of your head

No overlapping so base the previously relaxed ends

Don't wash up to 3 days before u plan to relax

Don't leave on over the maximum time ( instructions)

Follow instructions

Base your scalp well!

Make sure you use a neutralizing shampoo!!! No matter what you use afterwards, be sure to use that first.

Rinse your hair hair for at least 5 minutes to make sure you remove all traces of the relaxer from your scalp and hair. Have someone check for you to make sure it's all gone if that's possible.

I always do a protein treatment right after my relaxer. Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor and Motions Oil Moisturizer Protein Conditioner are both very good. I highly recommend them.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
smile.gif

Make sure you are not distracted or interrupted by anything or anyone. This means let your answering machine answer the phone (or turn it off) and do not answer the door. All of your attention needs to be focused only on what you are doing, relaxing your hair.

Base your hair extremely well.

Save the edges and the back of your hair (kitchen area) for last.

Slather something over the previously relaxed hair to protect it. If you buy the Affirm no-lye, it comes with Protecto, a gel specifically designed for this purpose. If you don't use Affirm, try something else. I used my old petroleum/mineral oil based hair cremes that I ditched since joining this board to protect the previously relaxed hair.

Ideally, get a friend to help you. Alternatively, use mirrors so that you can see what you're doing to avoid overlapping.

Aim to smooth the hair evenly; if you don't, you'll have uneven roots throughout your hair.

I agree with Pebs that you should use a neutralizer immediately after you relax, but depending on the system you use you might have to relax, condition, then neutralize, in that order. You'll see this in the instructions for both Affirm and Motions systems.

Make sure you completely wash the relaxer out of your hair or you'll experience breakage.

Stick to the timing instructions on the relaxer & rinse when the max time is up, no matter where you are in the process. Leaving relaxer in for too long is a sure-fire recipe for breakage.

Be extremely gentle with your the wet, newly relaxed hair.

Do a strand test on various sections of your hair where the texture is different to determine where to start applying it first and how long to leave it on.

Well, I had my lil sister (who's 14) put in the relaxer for me. I talked her through the process. My hair turned out well for her first time!! I love how my hair looks with the hilites and everything,
I'll post pictures soon, Thanks for the tips!! They really helped out!

Back