I self-relaxed Thursday and.....oh no!

-Angie-

Hi Ladies,

I've always self-relaxed without a problem. However, my most recent relaxer before 11/28 was some time in March 2007. Please be advised that the March relaxer was before my healthy hair journey and was applied without care (didn't watch the clock, relaxed already processed ends ::fainting::).

Thurday's relaxer was applied with much thought and attention to detail. I parted my hair into 4 sections and based my scalp, edges, and length with vaseline. The line of demacration was very well-defined with approx. 4 inches of ng.

I was so nervous about overprocessing my already-relaxed ends that I ended up with bone straight ng :yep: (approx 2 inches), then POOF :sad:, then straight ends :look:.

I guess it's ok, I don't plan on trying to correct it! lol! I co-washed tonight and I can really see the straight-poof-straight pattern. I applied my favorite Lacio Lacio and Salerm mix......Oh well, I guess I'll roller set and keep it movin'.

Has this ever happened to you? Any advice?

I appreciate your help!

This has happened to me. :ohwell: I am scared of correctives so I just let it ride until the next touch up.

Good luck.

I did the same thing. My hair was really underprocessed and my NG was straight after my last relaxer.

I had to do a corrective because my hair was breaking at the demarcation line. I reversed everything and put a protective covering on the hair closest to the root that was recently relaxed, and relaxed with a timer set for four or five minutes.

I really cannot offer much advice because I don't know how this will affect my hair over time. Right now, I'm in a protective weave with two more weeks to go.

Pics of my underprocessed hair in May, my relaxed hair in Oct., and my relaxer products are in my fotki.

Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm scared to try to correct it. My roots are straight and my hair is WAY more managable after my 8 month stretch :grin:. I think I can deal with it. I just hope it doesn't start breaking where the two textures meet. I'll have to be very careful :yep:.

Thanks again!

Angie

Angie your hair Beautiful, I abseloutly love how thick it is, looks tooooooo healthy, I love it.. :yep:

This has happed to me. I kept the hair, no cutting till I have the desired length, and a set style in mind.

Helpful tool: Alma Oil:grin:, and oil rinse. I did this just this past week and I am thrilled with the ease of combing through the different textues. I AM MORE Pleased that breakage has been null this go round and "friction" is now nearly non-existant.

Hi Ladies,

I've always self-relaxed without a problem. However, my most recent relaxer before 11/28 was some time in March 2007. Please be advised that the March relaxer was before my healthy hair journey and was applied without care (didn't watch the clock, relaxed already processed ends ::fainting::).

Thurday's relaxer was applied with much thought and attention to detail. I parted my hair into 4 sections and based my scalp, edges, and length with vaseline. The line of demacration was very well-defined with approx. 4 inches of ng.

I was so nervous about overprocessing my already-relaxed ends that I ended up with bone straight ng :yep: (approx 2 inches), then POOF :sad:, then straight ends :look:.

I guess it's ok, I don't plan on trying to correct it! lol! I co-washed tonight and I can really see the straight-poof-straight pattern. I applied my favorite Lacio Lacio and Salerm mix......Oh well, I guess I'll roller set and keep it movin'.

Has this ever happened to you? Any advice?

I appreciate your help!

This has happened to me. I tried to correct but the underprocessing occurred with a no-lye relaxer so the corrective (with lye) did nothing to fix it. Thankfully the different textures and the failed corrective have not damaged my hair. It gets easier to work with as the underprocessed hair grows further away from the scalp. The thing that I have found that helps me the most is to not use drying shampoos or shampoo too many times during one wash session, as this causes the underprocessed hair to get really tangled and become a nightmare the comb out.

I'm beginning to wonder if stretching is worth it. I've been thinking that if I cut back to relaxing every 2 months instead of 3 I would have a lot less new growth to work with and I would lessen the chance of underprocessing. Oh well. Still deciding what to do.

Angie your hair Beautiful, I abseloutly love how thick it is, looks tooooooo healthy, I love it.. :yep:

Thanks so much Saida. My hair is very soft and "fly away". I can't use grease or I'll look like a wet puppy LOL. I wish it was thick!

If you try to correct it Angie, wait atleast four weeks.

I have done my own corrective before and it saved my hair. I usually get alot of breakage from being underprocessed. I basically just applied the relaxer just like I normally would but I only processed for half of the time since it was already half way done. I did a protein treatment before the relaxer process and made sure I did another protein treatment a week afterwards. I actually underprocessed myself AGAIN so I will be doing a corrective soon.

Back