From long hair to a short Jheri curl?

shellyb

Ok, I am venting. After about four years of being natural, I decieded to relax bone straight. I wore it straight for about a year. My relaxed hair was really healthy at first but since I had been natural for a long time, I didn't really know how to take care of relaxed hair. I blowdried, flat-ironed and basically did everything that you shouldn't do. It got so damaged and was shedding so bad that I thought I was gonna go bald! (This was obviously before I discovered LHCF...which I'm so glad I did!)

So after all my drama with bone staight hair I decided to to cut it all off. Even though it was shoulder length, I felt that starting over was the best thing I could do. I did the big chop in February and a few weeks later I put in a mild relaxer (texturized). I am really happy with my hair! It is much more healthy...no more blow dryer or flat iron...I just wash n go. The best thing is no more shedding!

For the most part, my friends and family have been supportive of my BC. Of course there is always gonna be someone who has something negative to say...in this case, my boyfriend's step-mom. I don't know if she intententionally says rude things or if she is just doesn't understand. (she has dry, overly relaxed, thin, chin-length hair).

The first time she saw my new cut she said. “ Oh....its cute....who cut it and now who put in your jheri curl? I smiled and was like, “Its not a curl...its my natural curls with a mild relaxer...And she says “Oh OK....as if she didn't believe me. Everytime she sees me she asks me questions about my hair and when I try to explain, she will make comments like she doesn't understand.

Just yesterday a group of us went to dinner and my boyfriend's step-mom made one of her famous comments. I was talking about how I wanted my hair to grow to chin length by Christmas. She chimes in and says “so you cut your long hair, got a curl and now you want it long and straight again!?” “So what are you gonna do about the curl?” At this point I didn't really say much.....I guess I was just in shock that she was saying this after I've explained my hair to her so many times.

Her comments were funny initially and I took the time to explain. But now I think either she's not understnding when I explain things to her or she is just being rude. I think I'm gonna avoid the whole hair topic with her all together....just keep that conversation short and simple and keep it movin'.

If she saw my baggie method with my s curl activator she would have a field day! LOL

Thanks for listening ladies!!

picture of relaxed hair below

Attachments

• 100_0069.jpg
    100_0069.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 75

shellyb

klb120475 said:
Girl, yo boyfriend's step mom ain't talking about nothing. It's your hair, do your thang!:)

Yea, u right....as long as i'm happy with my hair....that's what matters.

Kurlee

if thats ur pic in the little box, i lovvvvvvve it. I've learned that most people don't know how to care of black hair unless its friend died and layed to the side and even then they dunno what to do. U look good, jus take it as ignorance, shes either hating cuz ur have ur cute curls goin on, or she really doens't know better.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

shellyb said:
Ok, I am venting. After about four years of being natural, I decieded to relax bone straight. I wore it straight for about a year. My relaxed hair was really healthy at first but since I had been natural for a long time, I didn't really know how to take care of relaxed hair. I blowdried, flat-ironed and basically did everything that you shouldn't do. It got so damaged and was shedding so bad that I thought I was gonna go bald! (This was obviously before I discovered LHCF...which I'm so glad I did!)

So after all my drama with bone staight hair I decided to to cut it all off. Even though it was shoulder length, I felt that starting over was the best thing I could do. I did the big chop in February and a few weeks later I put in a mild relaxer (texturized). I am really happy with my hair! It is much more healthy...no more blow dryer or flat iron...I just wash n go. The best thing is no more shedding!

For the most part, my friends and family have been supportive of my BC. Of course there is always gonna be someone who has something negative to say...in this case, my boyfriend's step-mom. I don't know if she intententionally says rude things or if she is just doesn't understand. (she has dry, overly relaxed, thin, chin-length hair).

The first time she saw my new cut she said. “ Oh....its cute....who cut it and now who put in your jheri curl? I smiled and was like, “Its not a curl...its my natural curls with a mild relaxer...And she says “Oh OK....as if she didn't believe me. Everytime she sees me she asks me questions about my hair and when I try to explain, she will make comments like she doesn't understand.

Just yesterday a group of us went to dinner and my boyfriend's step-mom made one of her famous comments. I was talking about how I wanted my hair to grow to chin length by Christmas. She chimes in and says “so you cut your long hair, got a curl and now you want it long and straight again!?” “So what are you gonna do about the curl?” At this point I didn't really say much.....I guess I was just in shock that she was saying this after I've explained my hair to her so many times.

Her comments were funny initially and I took the time to explain. But now I think either she's not understnding when I explain things to her or she is just being rude. I think I'm gonna avoid the whole hair topic with her all together....just keep that conversation short and simple and keep it movin'.

If she saw my baggie method with my s curl activator she would have a field day! LOL

Thanks for listening ladies!!

picture of relaxed hair below

I wish you could tell her to just mind her D_ _ _ business but obviously you can't :rolleyes: . Can you?? LOL. Anyway, your hair looks pretty and healthy and that should be all thats important to you. I can't wait to see her face when your healthy, full, lush, thick, swanging hair is her length.

turnergirl

She's hating. I love your hair. In the midst of this summer heat, I would love to have your cut and look as good in it as you do.

shellyb

Thanks for all compliments and advice ladies. Yea, I can't wait to hear what she has to say come December when my hair is healthy and LONG!