Frizzies and relaxed Hair

pooh123

Do any of you have a problem with frizzies? Does frizzy hair mean your hair is not healthy? I've always had problems with frizz and was wondering if any other relaxed heads have the same problem. It seems to get worse when I need a relaxer retouch.

pooh123

nomadpixi

Hi Pooh123, are you referring to the ends being frizzy? the whole head? I've discovered that all frizz is not the same. sometimes you have split ends, sometimes it's just lack of moisture, other times you need to close the cuticle with a serum or something. Check your ends first to make sure it's not damage, then try a spray on moisturizer like one in the recipies section on this board. This is a great board, and I'm sure there's an answer here for you.

HTH

pooh123

Hi nomadpixi,

I'm referring to just overall frizzy hair. For example, if I wear my hair flatironed by the end of the day the top layer of my hair poofs out or frizzes up. Also if I wear it in a bun I see a bit of frizz at some point during the day.

Does this make sense?
pooh123

jainygirl

nah, it doesnt mean your hair is unhealthy it just means it's frizzy
i always see girls with the supersmooth look and i dont even TRY to get it because my hair has a mind of its own. i do use Smooth'NShine hair gloss to keep it shiny and unfrizzy though
--HTH jainygirl

pooh123

Jainygirl, I've never had supersmooth hair.
I've always wanted it though. My hair tends to get frizzy, wispy, and tangled.
Maybe you and nomadpixi are right. I may just need something extra to close the cuticle.

pooh123

lisatamika

I have one little section that's like that. I can get it straight but as soon as I step out the door

My problem is that that little section of my hair is underprocessed. I can tell because when my hair is wet, almost my whole head of hair is straight except for that one section. I thought about cutting it off but that would mean inches for me. For those rare times when my hair is out, I just wear it curlier so the puffy part won't stand out as much. I gonna try some type of serum to see if that can keep it straight. I'll keep you posted . . . .

honeycomb719

I can relate to this topic 200%. I thought it was something wrong w/ my relaxing technique. But, I've come to realize that, when I was NOT affected by frizzy hair, that was when I was over-processing my hair to get that bone straight look.
So far, I've found nothing to combat this problem. I've been using Frizz Free by Soft Sheen thr xtra-strength one and it does NOTHING for my frizz. The only thing that make the frizzies go away is when I apply heat(pressing). But, they soon return after a few days.
I dont have a clue what to do next about it......

caralexis2005

have you tried rollersetting and then a quick blow from the dryer. I used to have this problem until i started going to the dominicans. Now only an extreme amount of dancing will make my hair revert to frizz. lol.

SweetNic_JA

caralexis I was going to say the same thing. The blow-outs stopped my frizziness 200%. My hair combatted the frizz even after misting, moisturizing and re-wrapping my hair for the night.

Kind of OT but I also thought I suffered from dry hair. That stopped post blow-out also. My hair was better moisturized when it was straight than in any other form.

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
SweetNic_JA said:

Kind of OT but I also thought I suffered from dry hair. That stopped post blow-out also. My hair was better moisturized when it was straight than in any other form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is because the cuticle is "sealed"?

pooh123

[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:
I can relate to this topic 200%. I thought it was something wrong w/ my relaxing technique. But, I've come to realize that, when I was NOT affected by frizzy hair, that was when I was over-processing my hair to get that bone straight look.

You know now that you mention that I experienced the same thing.

So far, I've found nothing to combat this problem. I've been using Frizz Free by Soft Sheen thr xtra-strength one and it does NOTHING for my frizz. The only thing that make the frizzies go away is when I apply heat(pressing). But, they soon return after a few days.
I dont have a clue what to do next about it......

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that I seem to have less when I use heat as well.

pooh123

pooh123

[ QUOTE ]
caralexis2005 said:
have you tried rollersetting and then a quick blow from the dryer. I used to have this problem until i started going to the dominicans. Now only an extreme amount of dancing will make my hair revert to frizz. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't have dominican salons here and I don't know how to blowdry my hair. Plain rollersets on large rollers tend to frizz on my hair too. If I knew how to blowdry I would try that.

pooh123

inthestars

[ QUOTE ]
pooh123 said:
Hi nomadpixi,

I'm referring to just overall frizzy hair. For example, if I wear my hair flatironed by the end of the day the top layer of my hair poofs out or frizzes up. Also if I wear it in a bun I see a bit of frizz at some point during the day.

Does this make sense?
pooh123

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it makes sense. Over time, relaxers damage the hair follicle and the hair that grows out of a damaged shaft has a bumpy texture. That is the cause of the 'frizz'. I haven't relaxed my hair in 15 months and I still have frizzy hair scattered all over my head because the hair follicle hasn't healed yet.

nomadpixi

I think I've gotten rid of this kind of frizz with heat too. I have taught myself how to blowdry my hair. I've heard people say that using a "ceramic" blowdry brush (Try Sally's) will help with straightening, but I've used just a Denman brush with Frizz Ease serum. The other thing is to make sure that your last conditioner is a REALLY good detangler. I use Pantene Smooth and sleek. Then try Frizz Ease on sopping wet hair (just for extra oomph, I use water as cold as I can stand it).

With blowdrying, the key is with the tension and the dryer type itself. Do not attempt to blowdry your hair with a dryer having anything less than 1800 watts. I used to try it and my hair was always a frizzy, dried out mess when done.

Try this: Clip your hair into 4 sections. Starting with the back (harder to see in the back and your arms start to get tired by the time you finish the front). Pull the brush 1/2 way through the hair in that section and hold the hair taut (not tight, you don't want to feel pain) and hold the dryer at a 45 degree angle to the hair, starting at the roots. Move the dryer down the hair, (if you dry back and forth, you are forcing the cuticle back up). As you SLOWLY move the dryer down the hair, SLOWLY pull the brush through to the ends of the hair.

Finish the back then the front, since it's easier to see. I did this tonight and my hair's so silky I can keep it out of my face. Let me know if this helps.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
pooh123 said:
Do any of you have a problem with frizzies? Does frizzy hair mean your hair is not healthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the "frizz factor" also depends on where you live (what kind of climate). Obviously if you live somewhere like Florida, you're gonna have more frizz than if you're in NY for the winter.
I don't have any problem at all with frizz in the winter, but in the summer months, it's a whole different story!!

pooh123

[ QUOTE ]
nomadpixi said:
I think I've gotten rid of this kind of frizz with heat too. I have taught myself how to blowdry my hair. I've heard people say that using a "ceramic" blowdry brush (Try Sally's) will help with straightening, but I've used just a Denman brush with Frizz Ease serum. The other thing is to make sure that your last conditioner is a REALLY good detangler. I use Pantene Smooth and sleek. Then try Frizz Ease on sopping wet hair (just for extra oomph, I use water as cold as I can stand it).

With blowdrying, the key is with the tension and the dryer type itself. Do not attempt to blowdry your hair with a dryer having anything less than 1800 watts. I used to try it and my hair was always a frizzy, dried out mess when done.

Try this: Clip your hair into 4 sections. Starting with the back (harder to see in the back and your arms start to get tired by the time you finish the front). Pull the brush 1/2 way through the hair in that section and hold the hair taut (not tight, you don't want to feel pain) and hold the dryer at a 45 degree angle to the hair, starting at the roots. Move the dryer down the hair, (if you dry back and forth, you are forcing the cuticle back up). As you SLOWLY move the dryer down the hair, SLOWLY pull the brush through to the ends of the hair.

Finish the back then the front, since it's easier to see. I did this tonight and my hair's so silky I can keep it out of my face. Let me know if this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for posting these instructions. I'll have to try this before my next relaxer retouch and see how it works.

pooh123

pooh123

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
pooh123 said:
Do any of you have a problem with frizzies? Does frizzy hair mean your hair is not healthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the "frizz factor" also depends on where you live (what kind of climate). Obviously if you live somewhere like Florida, you're gonna have more frizz than if you're in NY for the winter.
I don't have any problem at all with frizz in the winter, but in the summer months, it's a whole different story!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Lindy. I live in the South and the weather is very unpredictable.
pooh123