Frequently Asked Questions about Products for Extensions

weaveologist

A few weeks ago it was suggested that I post some tips for hair weaves on this forum. I was a bit nervous because I know that this forum is more so about growing and strengthening our REAL hair. But some of us do wear extensions and are lost when it comes to certain do's and dont's. I do extensions as a side job in Chicago so I have this information posted as a "Frequently Asked Questions" section on my Myspace page. I hope this information helps some of you. If I posted this in the wrong section, I do apologize.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Erased this question since it doesn't apply on this board.

2. What services do you provide?

Answer: My specialty lies in hair extensions, layering, sew-ins, caps, custom made wigs, etc. However when using glue I prefer use the “cap”. I prefer this method because the chemical used to mold the hair down provides a protective layer between the cap and the glue that safeguards the natural hair from the glue. Also the “cap”, stocking cap (I often use 2), provides additional protection by only allowing just enough glue to seep through the cap to allow the hair to stick. The “cap”, in that affect, is also then just as beneficial as a sew in when done properly, in my opinion. I have been using this method for two years now. My hair is growing and is in very good condition underneath.

3. What is the best hair to use for a sew-ins and bonding?

This depends on how long you want to keep the hair style up. I usually use Everstress, Milky Way Yaky PERMED and/or Dreamweaver, but I only keep my hair styles for two weeks at the most. The more expensive human hairs are best for sew ins, i.e. Velvet Remi, Milky Way Platinum Yaky, Dreamweaver Platinum, Model/Model-Virgin Yaky Ego, Italian Perm Yaki- Beauty Queen, and Saga Gold Remi Human Hair. These are pricy yes, but for a sew-in that you want to last for at least two month, you need to invest in some good hair. Always refer to www.hairsisters.com if you know in advance that you are getting extensions. There prices are much chapers than store prices. PLEASE NOTE: BLACK DIAMOND HAIR IS TOO HEAVY AND DOES NOT HOLD A CURL AS WELL. IN ADDITION THE TEXTURE IS NOT THE BEST.

4. What do you use to wash weave?

PAUL MITCHELL. I love it! Paul Mitchell’s Moisture and Super Skinny lines are GREAT for washing human hair. The moisture shampoos and conditioner puts back NATURAL moisture in the hair and the Super Skinny straightens it (we all know weave getting puffy once wet). I also prefer to condition again with Color Reflector Kiwi Conditioner by Artec. You can also use Nexxus. The lines that are best for weave from Nexxus are Luxury Moisturizing, Replenishing Nutrient, and Sumptuous Smoothing. Using both the shampoos and conditioner does the same as Paul Mitchell. Often times I find that my extensions look and feel better AFTER using these products than when I first put them in.

5. What is the best way to get glue out of your hair?

Don’t get it in there! If you are going to use glue please use a method that protects your hair against damage the most. PURCHASE A BIG BOTTLE OF BOND REMOVER FROM YOUR LOCAL BEAUTY SUPPLY. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I SUGGEST LETTING THE BOND REMOVER SIT FOR AT LEAST THIRTY MINUTES!! Also, when taking the hair out, I use Pantene Pro-V Repair & Protect Conditioner. Don’t ask me why, but for some reason after this conditioner sits on your hair for 10-15 minutes, the glue just falls right on out.

6. Erased this question since it doesn't apply on this board.

7. Does the cap come off when you bond the tracks on a cap?

No, the cap remains in place and quite sturdy until it is time to remove the tracks.

Hope this helps!