Anyone have experience with clip in hair extensions..

Im thinking of clip in hair extensions for an upcoming occasion,, I would rather not do any type of sewing in and glue is wayy out of the question,, i was wondering how clip ins work,, are they bulky and can you sleep in them? Do they slip out? Thanx

Dposh167

yes.

I wear them often! I luv them. altho i made mine myself. they were way too expensive at the bss and they weren't that hard to make.

i never sleep with them. once the day is over i take them out and deal with my own hair.

I've never had them slip out b4. they seem to stay more in place when u ur ng is plentiful...lol. sometimes they can be a pain in the butt when u want certain styles. but hey what r u gonna do.

I usually wear them when i want my hair out. Its great b/c it keeps my own hair from needing heat. it just blends in with the extensions so when i curl i'm only curling the extensions, not my real hair.

i will put up some pics of mine

yodie

I made my own little clip in. I purchased a weft of hair and sewed the clips onto it. I clip it into my new growth (Now I pin it instead of using the clips. wanted to eliminate any possibility of breakage) and pin my hair up in a cute little chignon on a daily basis.

This is how I'm transitioning.

Ohh, ok ,, so maybe i can make my own,,, i have a great deal of high quality remy hair from the days i wore sew in track extensions,,,, maybe i can purchase my own clips and do it myself... i just wonder if its bulky and noticeable when my hair is down.....?

Dposh167

okay here the before and after pics of clip-ins.

the first 2 are my own hair

Attachments

• zthread.jpg
    zthread.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 34
  • zthread3.jpg
    zthread3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 27
  • zthread2.jpg
    zthread2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 47
  • zthread4.jpg
    zthread4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 42
  • zthread5.jpg
    zthread5.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 47

Dposh167

I made my own little clip in. I purchased a weft of hair and sewed the clips onto it.

yup this is exactly how i do mine too. its great cuz u have the option of using different textures when ur able to use ur own wefted hair. i have no prob getting the cheap wavy hair at the bss and making extensions so it looks like airdried hair as well

yodie

Ohh, ok ,, so maybe i can make my own,,, i have a great deal of high quality remy hair from the days i wore sew in track extensions,,,, maybe i can purchase my own clips and do it myself... i just wonder if its bulky and noticeable when my hair is down.....?

No one will ever notice. I'ts not bulky at all. Everyone thinks its my hair. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if they knew. I gotta goal to reach, but I understand what you mean.

Dposh167

the only time i have a PROB with them being noticed is when i'm freshly relaxed. my hair is fine/thin as is, so when it's just been relaxed it's thinner. sometimes ur can see the imprint of the wefted hair on the outside:blush:...

but other than that i dont have a prob. more textured styles u don't even notice...BUT WATCH OUT FOR THAT WIND! :lachen:. I've gone out with my tracks in a windy day and the tracks flew this way and my real short flew another. it was a lil hectic that day

yodie

the only time i have a PROB with them being noticed is when i'm freshly relaxed. my hair is fine/thin as is, so when it's just been relaxed it's thinner. sometimes ur can see the imprint of the wefted hair on the outside:blush:...

but other than that i dont have a prob. more textured styles u don't even notice...BUT WATCH OUT FOR THAT WIND! :lachen:. I've gone out with my tracks in a windy day and the tracks flew this way and my real short flew another. it was a lil hectic that day

that wind will tell your secrets!!

Go for it. It can be a lifesaver or at least a hair saver.

:lachen::lachen:, thanx guys,, i think ill buy some clips from sallys and do a diy.... I would never have guessed that wanst your hair Poochie..... one more question , anyone ever sleep in them or are they to be removed b4 bed or does it simply not matter? lol OH,, and do the clips hurt? sorry for all the questions:spinning: Oh more more quesion,, are u using mini clips on full rows or just little cut pieces of weft here and there...?

Last edited:

Dposh167

:lachen::lachen:, thanx guys,, i think ill buy some clips from sallys and do a diy.... I would never have guessed that wanst your hair Poochie..... one more question , anyone ever sleep in them or are they to be removed b4 bed or does it simply not matter? lol OH,, and do the clips hurt? sorry for all the questions:spinning: Oh more more quesion,, are u using mini clips on full rows or just little cut pieces of weft here and there...?

I have slept in them b4 but i won't do it again. the clips are still attached to ur hair (especially ng) and they tug at ur hair with all the tossing and turning. it was uncomfortable to me. plus the clips are leaning against ur scalp and it hurt by morning.:nono:. but u may have a different experince.

i have clips in small and a medium size. i usually fit about 2-3 on 1 weft depending on ur head and how long of a weft ur cutting. usually 1 on each end and one in the dead center. u don't wanna put too many on 1 single weft b/c it can lose its bending a bility and will be more stiffer when u place it around ur head. u can also double up on the number of wefts to get a thicker strand. i do this as well.

i have more pics below

these are the clips i use. (they're called wig clips).the last pic is the piece of weft hair that is doubled; (i sew the tracks together then sew the clips on top)

Attachments

• zthread8.jpg
    zthread8.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 24
  • zthread7.jpg
    zthread7.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 25
  • zthread9.jpg
    zthread9.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 31

yodie

I have slept in them b4 but i won't do it again. the clips are still attached to ur hair (especially ng) and they tug at ur hair with all the tossing and turning. it was uncomfortable to me. plus the clips are leaning against ur scalp and it hurt by morning.:nono:. but u may have a different experince.

i have clips in small and a medium size. i usually fit about 2-3 on 1 weft depending on ur head and how long of a weft ur cutting. usually 1 on each end and one in the dead center. u don't wanna put too many on 1 single weft b/c it can lose its bending a bility and will be more stiffer when u place it around ur head. u can also double up on the number of wefts to get a thicker strand. i do this as well.

i have more pics below

these are the clips i use. (they're called wig clips).the last pic is the piece of weft hair that is doubled; (i sew the tracks together then sew the clips on top)

Ditto!! I never sleep with them. I love to massage my hair afterwards.
These are the same clips that I use. I sewed three onto my weft. Now, I just pin the weft around the clip.

skipper

i am obsessed with my clip in extensions i really had to ween myself off of them because there was a time when i was wearing them everyday. anywho i still love them and i wear them when i go out but thats about it check out my fotki they look very natural i just hope someday that can actually just be all my hair.

Mook's hair

yup this is exactly how i do mine too. its great cuz u have the option of using different textures when ur able to use ur own wefted hair. i have no prob getting the cheap wavy hair at the bss and making extensions so it looks like airdried hair as well

One of my friends does this too and you'd never even know that she added clips.

malibu4590

I make my own as well. I use the same method of creating them like the other ladies in this thread. I don't sleep in them either and it blends very well with straightened hair.

jh1581

I have a set of clip on extensions too. I wanted the human hair kind so I could curl them and treat them like real hair. There are some online for around $200, but there was NO WAY I was going to pay that much!

I found a set of 7 on ebay for about $50 so I bought those instead. When I got them, the color didn't match exactly so since they are real hair, I decided to dye them! I bought some cheap permanent hair color at Sally's and dyed them to match my hair.

I LOVE THEM!! They actually stay in better when you have a bit of new growth otherwise they're more likely to slip out. I never sleep in them and only wear them for special occasions or fun nights out :) (mine are pretty long).

I've attached a pic with mine in when I was in Vegas last fall. My actual hair is now shoulder length. Sorry if it's hard to see them!

Attachments

• mevegas.jpg
    mevegas.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 46

MsCounsel

I made some last year when I wanted to wear my hair out and the left side of my hair was so utterly jacked up and a good two inches shorter. I made them myself as per instructions on the site an it was awesome. I used two two-inch tracks to fill in. My hair has filled in now so I save them just in case. It really is an awesome idea and very inexpensive.

Hi, thanx for all your replies,, i have just 2 more questions.. lol sorry.... do these feel lose like theyre gonan fall out on you?? Also do they feel tight or anything compared to sewn in tracks? Thanx

Songbirdb

I made some and they were kind of cute. I really liked how they looked but they hurt to me. I was stretching my relaxer and I braid my whole head except one section and it just felt like the clips kind of tugged the new growth