For those who stretch your relaxer...

Peaches75

What is the longest you stretch and if you stretch 3 months or longer how do you get your new growth soft and what styles do you wear and do you still wash 1 to 2x's a weeK?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Hey! I stretch my relaxers usually for 3 months..it might be alittle less this time b/c I have been getting more growth. As for protective styles, I usually wear my hair pinned up in nice bun or a bun/french roll combo also for work. If my hair is doing really good then...I might try some curls with the caruso rollers or a braidout. It's tricky to try and keep your strands moisturized. I have to wash my hair at least 2x a week with design essentials. My new love!!

Honi

There is no board.
5-6 months. Condition washes 2 sometimes 3 times a week to keep it soft. I recently started doing oil washes. Newgrowth has been responding to it very well. For styling it's no manipulation styles....french rolls mostly.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
5-6 months. Condition washes 2 sometimes 3 times a week to keep it soft. I recently started doing oil washes. Newgrowth has been responding to it very well. For styling it's no manipulation styles....french rolls mostly.

Hey honi...I have to ask what type of oil rinses are you using? oo btw your hair is beautiful!

Honi

There is no board.
Awww thanks! I'm still working on the thickness issue but it's slowly coming along. Just plain ole' olive oil for now for the oil rinses. I like this oil because of it's weight. It's slightly heavier than coconut oil but not as heavy as castor oil which I haven't tried yet. I've been reading some of the oil rinse threads and may try some others to compare.

Hey honi...I have to ask what type of oil rinses are you using? oo btw your hair is beautiful!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Awww thanks! I'm still working on the thickness issue but it's slowly coming along. Just plain ole' olive oil for now for the oil rinses. I like this oil because of it's weight. It's slightly heavier than coconut oil but not as heavy as castor oil which I haven't tried yet. I've been reading some of the oil rinse threads and may try some others to compare.

Oh ok pure virgin olive oil and your just pouring on dry hair and massaging right? How long do you let it sit for? Is there anything else you do or that im missing instruction wise?

missty1029

I just hit my 7th month. I usually stretch about 6 months but now I am going to see if I can go without a relaxer. Its easy now since I wear it up but I dont know. I want to know how to best control the mini afro i have in the front!!!!!
I started the oil rinses with EVOO and its made the thickness manageable. I highly recommend it!! I wash then pour some oil on my hair. Let it sit for awhile rinse and condition.

charmtreese

I usually stretch for 3-4 months, I have stretched up to 7 months before. What I find works best (after a lot of trial and error) is co-washing twice a week (I use a cleansing moisturizing conditioner), rollersetting, and massaging NG with jojoba oil twice a day. I never comb my dry hair with anything other than my fingers. Also, before I cleanse my hair I apply oil and finger comb to remove any shedded hair that may be stuck in the NG.

I wear updo's must of the time with the help of claw clips, banana clips and hair pins.

loved

My first stretch ended 9-26-07. It was 18 weeks. My hair is unmanageable after 7-8 weeks so I wore weaves w/ my hair cornrowed underneath.

Soliel185

I stretched 22wks before I got braids - you need to remember moisture moisture moisture. The reason why alot of people have trouble stretching is the roughness/dryness of the NG and it's tangles, and the hair breaking b/c of the two textures. I used a spray made of vegetable glycerine, 100% aloe vera gelly, and infusium 23 w/ an EO for scent. Sealed moisture with jojoba or castor oil, and conditioner washed 1 -2X a week. I was able to comb my hair without much trouble b/c it was moisturized - and I added honey, peanut oil, coconut oil, and SAA to my conditioner for added strength, softness, and moisture. My hair drys out with heavy protein, so it's better for me to be consistant with a light protein but your hair may be different. I wore it up in a bun, french twist, or clip all the time - just b/c a fro and straight ends don't look right unless you flat iron and I didn't want to do that 2x a week.

Sylver has a great fotki album - she stretches for 6 months at a time with minimum problems - I think her album is under sylver2. HTH :drunk:

Honi

There is no board.
You got it. I just massage it in and let it sit. Sometimes I sit under the dryer for 20 minutes then rinse. Other times I just slap it on...massage it into the roots really good then jump in the shower and rinse. Detangling is a breeze and any knots I had slip right out.

Oh ok pure virgin olive oil and your just pouring on dry hair and massaging right? How long do you let it sit for? Is there anything else you do or that im missing instruction wise?

kblc06

When I was relaxed I would stretch my relaxers for at least 4 month, but usually like 6-7. For the last three years I relaxed, my hair may have been relaxed a total of 2 times, so I said what was the point :grin:. But ironically the only style I remember doing was wearing it down. I'd wrap after I washed, tie it down, and when it dried it was straight or rolled with velcro mesh rollers at night every once in a while :ohwell:. My hair grew the longest and thickest it had been since I had been relaxed (bsl/midback). I used NO heat and washed twice a week with Loreal Vive. However, when I relaxed, my hair was practically bone-straight (it would form curls if airdried with no products), but there was absolutely no overlapping due to the fact that my new growth was much more prominent (although this may not be popular opinion, I think relaxing straighter helped to eliminate the need for heat usage and consequently, I was able to avoid damage)

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Im now on my longest stretch. Today makes it 22 weeks. I was suppose to T-up last week, I decided to go till December. I have twists in. I made a moisture mist and an MN mix. Im happy.

Determined22

I've been stretching 3-4 months. Co-washes and full head baggying each night has really helped keep the ng soft. This past 4 month stretch I had braids, and I was spraying them twice a day, which also helped.