For Those Who Press Their Hair

pet

........How in the world do you do it? Now I attempted to press my hair on Friday, and number (1) I got 25% of my hair done in an HOUR, number (2) it wasn't even straight straight, and number (3) I was using new pressing combs. Now when my mom got home, she was really laughing at me because I didn't get too far. She does my ENTIRE HEAD in about and hour and 15 minutes AND gets it bone straight, WITHOUT burning me or my hair. Now, she has pressed her hair for over 20 years, and mine for over 10, but c'mon, I want to press my own hair just like she does it.

The thing is I have never gone to a salon, and I don't intend to because I believe the best person to do anyone's hair is themselves. Plus, no one knows how to do an old fashion press and curl these days anyway. My mom presses my hair every three weeks (yes, it does stay straight until I wash it), and I would really like to be able to do my hair myself because she's not always going to be around to do it. Right now she's too impatient with me to actually teach me, plus she always says I'm afraid of the comb.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

balisi

I no longer bother with pressing combs. The flat iron does a wonderful job and is easier to use.

California

Hi Pet, girl get yourself an electric pressing comb. Its much more safer. *Just part your hair as if you're flatironing it.
*Hit the roots, pull it out, make sure you remember that the "back" of the comb is what presses it, not the teeth.
*So, when you pull it through slowly, turn it letting the back of the comb heat smooth against the hair, pulling it to the ends, now turn them in or flip it, so that way you don't have to curl your hair afterwards.
*You will get it straight and curled all in one session.
HTH. Goodluck. You can do it!

Ladylynn

Make sure you use a pressing promade. I have relaxed hair but I flat iron the roots when they grow out. I use ultra sheen satin creme press. It works really really well. Also, work in small sections. If the sections are small, you'll do a better job straightening it.

amy1234

the key is to use a pressing creme like: dudley's cream press. My hair is also texturized and whenever I use the creme press when I flat iron, my hair can be easily straightened .

mahoganee

California said:
Hi Pet, girl get yourself an electric pressing comb. Its much more safer. *Just part your hair as if you're flatironing it.
*Hit the roots, pull it out, make sure you remember that the "back" of the comb is what presses it, not the teeth.
*So, when you pull it through slowly, turn it letting the back of the comb heat smooth against the hair, pulling it to the ends, now turn them in or flip it, so that way you don't have to curl your hair afterwards.
*You will get it straight and curled all in one session.
HTH. Goodluck. You can do it!
Ditto on what California said. I used to press my hair when I was a kid when my mother would take too long to get to my head. I burned it a little at first but soon learned to do it right. Also Sally's has electric pressing combs with teeth close together like the old school hot combs and some with the teeth a little wider apart for thicker hair. The more you do it the faster you'll get.;)

pet

Thanks girls!!! I really appreciate it. I'll just keep trying, and maybe I should put a little more pressing grease on my hair (I use Ultra Sheen), and "hit the roots" without being a chicken like California suggested. I keep you posted for next time I try!

Cxshortie

I use a flat iron, taking very small sections at a time. My hair is about two inches past my shoulders, it take me about 40 minutes to complete.

Lucia

Lucia said:
I use a blow dryer and or flat iron, that works for me.

I use an electric flat iron-ceramic with a heat setting dial, imp not to burn the hair.

PhonyBaloney500

Stupid question but, do y'all press your hair when it's wet, or dry? I've never really done it before (aside from curling ironing/burning just the back part of my hair when I was in junior high lol). :)