For those who do Twistouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For those who do Twistouts...

How many twists do you put in your hair?

How do you section your hair before twisting?

What is your procedure for doing twistouts?

I'm trying to grow out a layered cut and want to try twistouts. I'm afraid the shape of my hair will look funny if I don't section my hair right...
For example, I just did a braid-out (braided and airdried last night, unraveled this morning) and my crown area hair looked all bushy and fuzzy while my nape area hair looked longer and sleeker than the rest of my hair...
ohwell.gif

But I fixed it by twisting my crown area hair to put it in a small clip and let my nape area hair hang down with two dangling strands in the front of my face.
wink.gif

I want my twist-outs to look even length (to look like I don't have layers) and symmetrical. Any suggestions???

Re: For those who do Twistouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im still trying to master the twist out, but i just grabbed and twisted and braided about 1/2 of my hair at the roots, then twisted the rest of the way, then rolled the ends, made sure it was dry , took them out and finger seperated (not finger combed) them...there are pics in my album, i didnt use any type of uniform way to part or twist. i used coconut oil and mango butter. it came out pretty good, considering im new to it, but i think i could still get it better with practice

Well, I was having a similar problem last summer when my front hair was much shorter than my hair in the back. The only solution I found was to put all the front hair up into a high ponytail (ya know... the "half-up, half-down" style). That's the ONLY way I could wear a twistout last year...
ohwell.gif
Also,I would find that the shorter hair in the front would come out looking more frizzy than the longer hair, for some reason. It was quite a pain!!
mad.gif

It's so much better now that my hair has grown out more on the front and sides!! I can wear my hair "out" (I do a side part) and lately I have gotten SOOOO many compliments on my hair in this style!!
up.gif

Also, you can experiment with the number of twists you do, to get different looks!! You don't really have to worry about making the sections neat
nono.gif
(unless u plan on wearing the twists themselves out in public).

My hair is still a little shaved in the back so I use bobby pins to secure them, but this is what I do after a wash:

Make thin-medium head length parts starting from the middle and working my way down to my ears. Instead of braiding cornrows I use 2 strands a.k.a. 2 strand twists. Flat twists didn't come out right. When my hair is thick and near touch up time and if the part is thing enough they come out looking like straw-set twists. Thinner hair just looks crimpy. If I am not doing anything too special, I'll leave the twists in during the day and wear a wrap. I figured that would be good like wearing braids. Otherwise, I take them out and they look shiney thanks to JCS shea butter.

One of these days I'm going to post pics to show what they look like.

Hi Poohbear...

When I do twistouts, I do them right after a conditoner wash or regular wash. I apply my pantene light spray conditoner and sometimes s curl and an oil to seal with. Then I do a middle part and do about 8 twists. I start with a plait for about the first inch then twist the rest down. Then I put a conditioner on the ends and roll on a perm rod roller. I wrap in a satin scarf and then a doo rag and that keeps the puffiness away. (i'm almost 3 months post relaxer). The next day I take them down and it comes out very nice. I spritz with a little water/evoo mix and go. I found the key to mine was washing around 6 so that they would be completely or 95% dry upon waking. HTH.

Back