Twistouts/braidouts that come out too "styled"

zzirvingj

I'm having problems with my twistouts...I don't like when mine come out looking too "tight"...as if you can tell I styled it. It's hard to describe, but I like my twistouts to look a little less "separated" than they've been looking and I'm not exactly sure what I've been doing wrong...:ohwell:

Last time I did it on hair that was wetter than usual...perhaps I twisted too tight...?

Do your best twistouts/braidouts come when you've done them on wet or dry hair?

Also, with more tension or less tension.....?

prospurr4

I'm texlaxed, and I get my best twistouts with twists done on damp hair. I do 10 individual twists with castor oil. See siggy for twistout pic.

mrsjohnson75

My best braidouts are done on damp hair with more tension...but not tight to the point where it hurts. pic in siggy.

aurora3140

OP, do you want your braidout to be less defined?

My braidouts are most defined when I do them on wet hair. Maybe you could wait for your hair to *almost* completely airdry (like 80-90%) before braiding for a less "styled" look. Also, using less product might help. When I want fluffier, less uniform waves, I only use my water-based leave-in after washing and conditioning.

ETA: I always braid tightly because my hair is so fine and doesn't hold styles very well. If I didn't, my waves would drop before mid-day.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

Maybe you could try doing them on almost dry or dry hair. That would maybe give you less definition. Also, you could try to play around with the size of the twists. The bigger or smaller they are always has an effect on how my twist outs turn out.

NikStarrr

I do mine on my hair that I let dry about 90% in a bun. I braid and then give them a quick squirt with water from a spray bottle. I get a looser, "brushed out" looking braidout.

Fine 4s

Co-signing with the damp to dry or dry twists.
I really enjoyed my twist-out when I was in Haiti. I have the humidity to thank for that though.....If you have a steamer, steam that baby up!

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I find that I get a more defined braidout on wet or damp hair. That's the way I like it though. If I do braidouts on dry or slightly damp hair, they don't hold the style at all:nono: Try using less tension on your hair to see if that works.

naturalgyrl5199

On wet hair, I think it lasts longer....as each day goes by, the twists loosen. But on damp to dry or dry hair the initial twist out is beautiful, not as tightly styled but it doesn't last as long to me.

I think if you finger comb more, then it will be more loose. I like a fresh twist out even if its tight!

lalla

I find that flat twist outs (three on my head) are less defined than twist outs. Wet hair gives more definition. The bigger the braid/twist the "wilder" it will look.

AlekHidell

I do it on wet hair, but take them down (only separating the actual twists--no further separation) when they're about 80 to 90% dry and let them air dry loose. Then I further briefly finger comb through and fluff.

Lola Laughs

I twist on wet hair, about 10 or so chunky twists total. When I take down and separate in the morning, they're still just a bit damp, but I like the look--a bit tousled, not too "sculpted" more like my wng's.

Creatividual

I get less defined twist outs and braid outs when I do them on dry hair with a light product like a hair lotion. If I want more definition, I'll slightly dampen my hair and that "sets" the style more.