For those who color (permanently) and haven't experienced much damage...

zzirvingj

...I have questions for you!

1. Are you relaxed or natural?
2. How long have you had color in your hair?
3. How many colors do you have?
4. Who does your color?
5. What brand(s) do you use?
6. What is your regime for maintaining healthy hair while colored?
7. How much, if any, damage/breakage have you had as a result of color?
8. How long do you plan to continue coloring?
9. How often do you use heat?

Sorry for sooo many questions but I keep contemplating color and want to hear from those who've done it! TIA!

SweetCaramel1

zzirvingj said:
...I have questions for you!

1. Are you relaxed or natural?
2. How long have you had color in your hair?
3. How many colors do you have?
4. Who does your color?
5. What brand(s) do you use?
6. What is your regime for maintaining healthy hair while colored?
7. How much, if any, damage/breakage have you had as a result of color?
8. How long do you plan to continue coloring?
9. How often do you use heat?

Sorry for sooo many questions but I keep contemplating color and want to hear from those who've done it! TIA!

-relaxed
-october 05
-2 colors
-i got it done at the aveda salon, but i forgot what color she used. she said she thought aveda wasn't good so she used another company but i can't remeber. sorry.
-my regime is simple. wash and cond every week (every 2 in the winter). keracare cond/leave-in. occassionaly use new era reconstructor. rollerset or wrap. no heat from hand-held or curling iron! relax every 3 months or so
-it's hard to tell the amount of breakage because my hair is really thick. but my non-colored hair is alot thicker than the colored hair.
-my past regime was to color then let it grow out (eventually cut out with frequent trims). now that i found lhcf i don't plan to color or cut as frequently. more than likely i won't color again at all. i'm digging my black hair (for now) but every once in awhile i get bored with it. next time, i'll try a rinse, henna or something to change it up.

HoneyDew

I have only used Bigen and I am relaxed. With that one, I have noticed no change in the condition of my hair. I have not used any Permanents that contain Peroxide or Ammonia and I am afraid to since I am relaxed.

Frostipuff

I just want to give you some advice regarding relaxing and
permanent color. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING TWO
CHEMICAL TREATMENTS AND KNOW THAT THE PERSON
YOU CHOOSE TO DO YOUR HAIR IS KNOWLEDGEABLE AND
RESPECTS YOUR HAIR.

You probably know this since you are a member of this
forum, but keep that at the forefront of your mind if you
have relaxed hair and choose to use permanent color.
You have beautiful hair and I'd hate to see you lose it
or have it damaged.

reallynow

1. Are you relaxed or natural? Relaxed
2. How long have you had color in your hair? I've colored continuously (at least highlights) for 7 years, I let the all over color grow out 2 yrs ago and I just have highlights now
3. How many colors do you have? just one, but I have done up to three at one time :eek:
4. Who does your color? my stylist
5. What brand(s) do you use? Two diff. salons, one used Framesi, my latest highlights I think were Sebastian-not sure
6. What is your regime for maintaining healthy hair while colored? I don't really have one, other than I "listen" to my hair and give it what it needs-moisture is a must and deep conditioning
7. How much, if any, damage/breakage have you had as a result of color? No breakage at all from the color, I find that right after I color I have a bit more shedding BUT that only lasts for a few weeks if that, extra protien usually helps.
8. How long do you plan to continue coloring? I'm not sure, I like my natural color even if it is boring brown but highlights give it depth
9. How often do you use heat? once or twice a week

Blackoutzangel05

My hair was colored permanently 2 weeks after every perm. I had to wait that long because of the length of time that I would have to wait with the color in for it to take. Right now I am not coloring my hair because its hard for me to find fake hair to match when its colored and because no matter what color I use it always turns this gorgeous copper brown, but I want red hair!

Anyways to give you some advice, I would let a professional color your hair if you have a perm. I will always believe that my natural hair is stronger than my permed hair so if I have natural hair then I will do it myself but permed hair it needs to be done professionally. Either way color needs to be nurtured or your hair will break off!!!!!!!!!! Moisturize your ends, hence why I am baggy'ing and pay attention to split ends.

Shaniquah

1. Are you relaxed or natural? Relaxed (trying to transition)
2. How long have you had color in your hair? For several years now
3. How many colors do you have? At the moment, just one
4. Who does your color? I do
5. What brand(s) do you use? African Pride Highlighting Kits, Loreal
6. What is your regime for maintaining healthy hair while colored? Deep condition often (prior and after)
7. How much, if any, damage/breakage have you had as a result of color? Not much damage at all
8. How long do you plan to continue coloring? As long as I have hair on my head!
9. How often do you use heat? Lately, not often - but I used to use heat once a week.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want!

Diamonds415

I have relaxed hair
I've had color since 4/15/06
I have just one color...highlights
I forget the EXACT color name (it's Golden "something") but it is Alter Ego brand
My Stylist does it ( a very nice young lady at Bel Air Beauty in Brooklyn,NY)
I have not experienced ANY damage from the color
I get highlights about 6 weeks after a perm but not after every touch up
My regimen: I wash and deep condition every 2 weeks. I use Alter Ego Italy deep conditioner when I wash (it has garlic bulbs in front of a blue sky and grass on the jar) I do a roller set, sit under the dryer, and then wrap my hair. The ONLY time I use heat on it is every 2 weeks under the dryer.

Diamonds415

jenteel

1. Are you relaxed or natural? natural

2. How long have you had color in your hair?when i was relaxed:2 years; natural: almost 8 years

3. How many colors do you have? quite a few (highlights); plus my hair "fades" pretty nicely:)

4. Who does your color? aveda salon

5. What brand(s) do you use? aveda!!!

6. What is your regime for maintaining healthy hair while colored? moisture, moisture moisture - since joining this site i've been using protein treatments more regularly.

7. How much, if any, damage/breakage have you had as a result of color? highlights over permanent color eventually broke some strands, but i also didn't realize how much i should be moisturizing my hair. i don't think i will highlight ever again (last highlights were in may 2006), just too damaging- it's bleach!

8. How long do you plan to continue coloring?i haven't colored since september (7 months in apr) b/c i've thought about stopping but the color brings out my eyes;) so i will probably keep touch ups at 4-7 months as i've been doing

9. How often do you use heat?not often @ all! i straightened it in january and will blowdry this week. my hair is getting too long and is too thick to airdry. i can barely get a comb thru it when i do this:eek: