Naturals who permanently color their hair.....

Were you apprehensive about permanently coloring your hair?
Yes because I didn't want to damage my curl pattern.

Did you have any breakage?
No

Did it loosen or change your curl pattern?
I only dyed a portion in the front. The pattern still looks the same all over to me.

How does your hair feel now that you colored?
I personally haven't experienced any difference.

What shade did you color your hair and what brand did you use?
I died twice last year.
Honey Blond with Dark and Lovely Permananet Color. It didn't really take that well.
Creme of Nature Nourishing Permanent Hair Color Red Copper. That took really well and looked nice. I'm thinking of refreshing back to that color.

Before I did my research, yes.

No. My hair did not snap off. Just my normal shed hair but no snap, crackle, pop.

No, it's the same.

It's thirstier but I keep her drinks flowing. lol.

Juicy Plum by African Pride, the highlighting kit. It's the only kit that will give me the exact color that is on the box. It gives me tingles when I pick up the box. I'm thinking about adding another color as well. Hmmm. lol. :drunk:

No

No, I use protein and moisturising conditioners

No

It feels fine, but I condition daily

Intense Babylon red and Light Ash blonde from L'Oreal, I used foil to put highlights in my hair, I'll going to add more highlights and use professional colour.

Yes. The first time that I colored my hair, it was like a dark cinnamon color. I used dark and lovely (WORST BRAND EVERY IMHO FOR COLOR!!! ) It left my hair hard and crispy for several weeks no matter how much DCing I did after. Mind you I do protein tx 2 weeks before color, as it helps the color to take and stay longer. Then I will follow up the protein with a DC with heat weekly until it's color time

When I did the multitone blonde ( see avatar ) that was going up too many levels for my hair. It took like 3-5 times to get the color correct. I would aphogee, dc, color ( color wouldn't be right ) wait 2wks and DC in between, color again ( color still wouldn't be right ) and so on. My hair took a BRUTAL BEATING! I am shocked that I even still had hair after all that!

The blonde did loosen my hair pattern a little,which I didn't care for. But if you are looking to loosen your hair pattern ( just a side note ) there's other, more conventional ways to do it.

After the first week from the color, and after the first post color DC, my hair feels back to normal. Sometimes during the first week after the color, I will co wash with moisturizing condish 3-4 times that week, prior to my weekly moisturizing DC.

What shade did you color your hair and what brand did you use?[/QUOTE]

Oh ya, and I have henna'd for many years, using only baq quality henna with no issues when I use permanent or semi-permanent color :D

I no longer permanently dye my hair. I am waiting for a red color that I did last year to grow out (it's only on the tips now ) so I am using a semi-permanant in dark brown, natural instincts. LOVE IT! It rinses out ( for me ) in about 40-50 shampoo's and it lasts a long time. The red color was kinda bright, so the dark color over it took well. My hair is soft right after coloring, and feels just as it did prior to the color.

Although I am not using permanents, I still follow my DC routine. I only use the aphogee hardcore ( the one that gets hard with heat ) 4 times a yr, 6 x at the very most.

I wanted to experience my dyed hair for a bit before responding to this post.

Yes, I was. I've wanted to dye my hair for years but always chicken out, for a variety of reasons. I actually like my natural color, and since it's pretty unique I get asked what color dye I use anyway. I liked being able to say it's my natural color. Also, I didn't want to get tired of it and be stuck with it. And, of course, I was worried about breakage. At the end of the day I decided it was now or never. I wasn't getting any younger and I'm less than one year post BC, so I figured if I'm gonna lose some hair to a stupid decision, better now than in five years.

Yep, sure did. Honestly, it was scary at first. I hadn't seen that much hair come out in a long time (since my relaxed days). I hadn't been honest with myself about being able to maintain the color. Even though I'm a member of this forum and a PJ, I'm generally pretty low maintenance with my hair. Before the dye, I didn't seal my hair; that's something I MUST do now. I would skip DCing sometimes; that's something I MUST do now, after every wash. I also would go about a week between washing before the color. That's just not possible now. The breakage has been decreasing since I've buckled down, but it's still not to my pre-color level. Had my hair not been in such good condition before the color (if I do say so myself) I think I would be losing even more.

Yes, though thankfully this was temporary. My hair was extremely loose after my first wash. I did a WNG, which I haven't done since, like, my second month natural (because it's not possible). After the second wash, it was shrinking up pretty well, but this one piece was just wavy and I thought it was beyond hope. I've washed several times since those two washes and my hair is back to normal, save for the wavy piece, but even that section has bounced back pretty well (it's definitely curly, not wavy anymore).

It feels fine, but it goes through it's "cycle" quicker. Meaning the time it takes from wash day until it feels dry and like it needs to be washed again is shorter than before.

It's a range of colors. I went from my natural dark blonde/light brown to dark brown with white blonde, bright red, and orangey chunks/streaks. I went to a salon, so I don't know the line, but it's all Clairol.

Last edited:

iri9109 :hiya: :hiya: Here I am!!!! I've been buried under books!!!!! But I'm on break now :yep: :yep: :yep:

Not at all...For me it was a relaxer or color and once I got rid of the relaxer, I was good to go!!! Did you have any breakage?
No

The platinum blonde part has loosened to the point that some pieces are just more wavy than curly...I don't like that!!!! :nono::nono::nono:

Because I have incorporated hard protein treatments, deep conditioning treatments, and because I have been babying my hair, my hair feels pretty good.

See my siggy...It's triple processed with Wella and Ms. Clariol.

Yes, I was really nervous about breakage/thinning and losing my progress.

The last time I did, there was a little breakage but it wasn't noticeable. My hair was still silky, full, and beautiful. Currently I have no breakage on my bleached hair, no loosened texture, and very little dryness. It basically feels like the rest of my hair. It's only been about a month, though.

Nope.

The same as my noncolored hair.

I bleached to a light brown/orange tone, then used a semipermanent red rinse. It's now bright, blood red.

Last edited:

I first 2 times NO..the last time Yes
My hair was triple processed..I didnt just do my ng..I died it blonde then brown later that year..then blonde the next summer then brown again..I had sum breakage the last time..

NO

when my hair was blonde I felt it wasnt as soft..however I upped my protein and moisture..so now it feels soft and supple
What shade did you color your hair and what brand did you use?I blonde in the spring and I'm not loyal to a brand..when I go darker in the fall I use Bijen..

Not really, I color my hair pretty often

No

No

It feels the same

I had used the blue kaleidocolors with 30 vol developer for highlights a few months back, yesterday I mixed a copper and red together from Loreal and also used 30 vol developer (all over color)

A little... I'd previously bleached my hair and that left it dry, so I was worried about that. However, this time, I opted not to strip and then dye, and just went straight for a box color "red hot rhythm" from dark & lovely

Nope. I've only had to deal with breakage when separately stripping and then coloring my hair. Never will I do that again.

Not that I can tell.

This brand came with an amazing conditioner that made my hair feel very soft and healthy ...which I didn't expect after dying it. More than a few washes later, it still feels just as healthy.

I used "red hot rhythm" from dark & lovely. I'm also a big fan of creme of nature hair color. With both colors my hair was perfectly lightened and did not feel damaged afterwards. I highly recommend them.

hecks yeah! i'm a scaredy cat

um not yet, but its only been a few days

nope

pretty much the same as before

in the top used clairol textures and tones in bronze which lightened my hair to a medium brownish/dark bronze color and then put manic panic semi-permanent dye in vampired red over it so its a dark red/burgundy color...in the back i used garnier herbashine in soft black

A bit, but only because I was scared of loosening my curl pattern.

I didn't notice any abnormal breakage, just the usual few strands every once in a while.

Nope, thank goodness!

At first it was overmoisturised coz I went a bit overboard with the conditioner coz I was scared of my hair getting too dry lol. Then I did a protein treatment. But yeah, it feels the same.

Real Red by Schwarzkopf

Were you apprehensive about permanently coloring your hair? Not really I'd been colouring and badly treating my hair for years and although extremely dry it had maintained its length.

Did you have any breakage? Only when I double processed within a short period- texlax and colour

Did it loosen or change your curl pattern? The very light highlights did loosen my curl pattern, I have 4ab hair anyway so wasn't even as drastic as the BKT

How does your hair feel now that you colored? Just discussing this with my sister, the hair colours (for caucasian hair) are a whole lot milder and better than even 3 years ago- I can get the shade I want now without pre-lightening and no dryness issues.

What shade did you color your hair and what brand did you use? This last time Medium Ash blonde using Nice and Easy Foam colour- Great result lightened even my black roots with no dryness etc.

Back