For those wanting long hair...

Aicer

What do you think could be causing your breakage?

I really don't know. I think I either have to up my protein or use a stronger protein or baggy less.
I used Duo tex the other day and it seemed to have stop some breakage.

Allandra

I'm hiding my hair away in long-term installs (since June '11). In March 2011 I started a new healthy reggie w/deep conditioning once a week w/Aubrey GPB and castor oil rinses. I have continued this reggie along w/moisture spritz (water/avj/jojoba/castor oil & seal w/castor oil) as needed. I plan to keep my installs in through the next year or two, depending on how my hair responds. This is a new project.
Aww you're using my fav mild protein (been using Aubrey Organics GPB since 2000). I hope you like it as much as I do. How are you liking the oil rinses? I've read good things about them, but I have yet to try it out. Your moisture spritz sounds yummy for the hair. Does it moisturize your hair pretty good? How has your hair been responding to the installs, and how long do you keep them in?

Allandra

Braids under a wig or weave. (my p.s of choice)
Wash dc every 10 - 14 days.
Moist & seal daily or every other day.
Vitamins, eats clean, work out, lots of water & protein.
I b.c june 2010 after 9 mnth transition. I am currently bsl.
Massage oil mix or jbco on scalp 3-4x a week.
I don't use heat cause I dont know how to flat iron. I dont blow dry cause it makes my hair crunchy. When I wear my hair out i'm in 2 strand twist styled in a bun or under a wig, then a twist out for a few days.
Do you have a flat iron? There are a lot of videos at You Tube on flat ironing (if you're interested in learning). I'm not good at blow drying my own hair, so I don't even bother. You have a lot of hair. How do you manage to place it all under a wig? Do you like wigs or weaves best? I would love to sit down and take my time and two strand twist my hair (not sure if I have the patience though). I think it's a cute and fun style.

Allandra

I'm protective styling in wigs until I reach SL, which I hope will be in August. I shampoo twice per week, and deep condition each time. I'm wearing my hair in twists under my wig. I moisturize and seal daily. I'm avoiding heat, taking a multivitamin daily, msm (3 times per week), and biotin once per week.
It sounds like you're well on your way to SL and beyond. How are you wearing your hair under the wigs?

Allandra

I really don't know. I think I either have to up my protein or use a stronger protein or baggy less.
I used Duo tex the other day and it seemed to have stop some breakage.
Remember, for some people, too much protein can cause breakage. Hopefully you'll find a good balance of protein and moisture for your hair. What is Duo tex?

hair4romheaven

Allandra said:
Do you have a flat iron? There are a lot of videos at You Tube on flat ironing (if you're interested in learning). I'm not good at blow drying my own hair, so I don't even bother. You have a lot of hair. How do you manage to place it all under a wig? Do you like wigs or weaves best? I would love to sit down and take my time and two strand twist my hair (not sure if I have the patience though). I think it's a cute and fun style.

I have a solia iron. I use it on weaves. I never flat ironed my hair even when relaxed. Lol I use to roller set & use hood dryer to dry. I may learn via you tube but I truly dont have a desire to straighten yet. I want to wait til mbl, but my stylist wants to straighten so she can trim my ends. My stylist is great. She braids it as if i'm getting a weave install. I like weaves better, but taking a break from it so I can access my scalp better during the winter. I may weave in the summer. I am not looking forward to 2 strand twist. It takes about 3-4 hours & you have way more hair then me so I can imagine the time it will take to do 2 strands on your hair. Lol

The only products I use is:
Mud wash or giovanni tt poo
Aowc & Aogpb
Kckt
Oils grapeseed & wgo, jbco, EO therapy mix
For twist avg & qbbrc
I have some ayervedic products but will not use it until my hair is loose so I can see how my hair will react. I'm excited. Its neem, vatika, amla oils. Brhami,neem, amla powder. I will do rinses W/ the powder.

Last edited:

Allandra

I have a solia iron. I use it on weaves. I never flat ironed my hair even when relaxed. Lol I use to roller set & use hood dryer to dry. I may learn via you tube but I truly dont have a desire to straighten yet. I want to wait til mbl, but my stylist wants to straighten so she can trim my ends. My stylist is great. She braids it as if i'm getting a weave install. I like weaves better, but taking a break from it so I can access my scalp better during the winter. I may weave in the summer. I am not looking forward to 2 strand twist. It takes about 3-4 hours & you have way more hair then me so I can imagine the time it will take to do 2 strands on your hair. Lol
Ok, now you know I will probably never do a whole bunch of twists now, right lol? I did manage to do one big twist here's a pic I have done about 14 to 16 twists on my hair before (for a twist out), but that was a while ago.

Using the flat iron on weaves I'm sure is a good way to learn. In the mean time, keep your ends well moisturized, then you may not need much trimmed when you do decide to get your next trim.

Oh, and I love Qhemet BRBC and A&OHC.

hair4romheaven

Allandra said:
Ok, now you know I will probably never do a whole bunch of twists now, right lol? I did manage to do one big twist here's a pic I have done about 14 to 16 twists on my hair before (for a twist out), but that was a while ago.

Using the flat iron on weaves I'm sure is a good way to learn. In the mean time, keep your ends well moisturized, then you may not need much trimmed when you do decide to get your next trim.

Oh, and I love Qhemet BRBC and A&OHC.

Your hair is lovely!! I cant imagine two stranding that. Lol. Thx i've been keeping them moist. My hair just enjoys not being bothered. As long as its tucked away its happy. Lol when I use the iron on my weaves I use 350-450 degrees and I run it down the hair slowly. I'll never learn that way. I'll burn my hair out.
Heres my bun w/ 2 strand twist.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120220_000812.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120220_000812.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 162
  • ForumRunner_20120220_000848.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120220_000848.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 156

Allandra

Your hair is lovely!! I cant imagine two stranding that. Lol. Thx i've been keeping them moist. My hair just enjoys not being bothered. As long as its tucked away its happy. Lol when I use the iron on my weaves I use 350-450 degrees and I run it down the hair slowly. I'll never learn that way. I'll burn my hair out.
Heres my bun w/ 2 strand twist.

Thanks. I love the bun w/2 strand twist. How many twists would you say is there? It looks like a lot.

cutiebe2

I've gone up and down with my hair.

I think I do a good job at protective styling (either braid it up and use a wig, or do senagalese twist). And I use heat about once a year or less.

But my main problem is my hair is very fragile (thin/fine) and I don't retain as much as other people and they do the same effort as me or less. But I am trying to really up the amount of nutrients I get. Green juice/smoothies and then hair vits, Omega 3 oil, and Iron (I have low iron, just tested). + tons of water.
Hopefully going back to being super dilligent with my health will help with my hair growth and retention. I haven't seen much progress in about 2.5 years but I am trying to make this year different.

sigh

hair4romheaven

Allandra said:
Thanks. I love the bun w/2 strand twist. How many twists would you say is there? It looks like a lot.

Thx, I'm not sure, maybe 75 or so. I can imagine about 20 in each section. I part my hair in 4 sections for twisting. 2 in front & 2 in back. People do say its a lot of twist but of course to me it doesn't look that way. Lol

HappilyLiberal

:lol:

Nah, just trying to help out here where I can. :yep:

You gonna make me take down all my pics. :look:

Don't do that... I'll have to go into hiding because they'll send a drop squad after me. :look:

Right now I have my hair in two strand twists with extensions (Marley braid hair). I am almost 15 months post relaxer and almost 9 months post BC. My hair is at that in-between stage where I can't really do anything with it. The two previous times I BC'd, this is the point I relaxed again because I couldn't do anything with my hair. The extensions are an attempt to avoid that. I put this set in myself they don't look great but it was my first time and I figured out some things I am going to do differently next time. I figure I will get better with practice.

ezina

So far, I think moisturizing is a God-send. So much is said about avoiding heat, but before I started my journey or found LHCF, I never used direct heat (maybe flat ironed twice) and I always bunned, but my hair still struggled. I remained in the hair abyss that is shoulder length. However, once I started adding moisture (moisture is totally key!!) and deep conditioned more regularly, my hair started to thrive. My hair is currently BSL (and arguably MBL but I'm not comfortable with that label yet). I'm pretty tall - 5'10" - and from the front of my head to my back where my hair ends, my hair is 27 inches long.

~~

And a little off topic... For Allandra (or anyone with experience/want to chime in). First, I want to say that your hair is beautiful! I was wondering, did you transition long when you decided to go from relaxed to natural? And how long was your transition? Also, you mentioned earlier on in the thread that you used heat once a month - did you mean flat ironing or blow drying? Did that loosen up your curls permanently in the long run? Did you flat iron just as often when you were relaxed? I want to use heat more frequently without inadvertently heat training my hair. I'm almost in month 9 of my 3 year transition and I don't really want to start off with heat trained hair as a natural.

Allandra

Don't do that... I'll have to go into hiding because they'll send a drop squad after me. :look:

Right now I have my hair in two strand twists with extensions (Marley braid hair). I am almost 15 months post relaxer and almost 9 months post BC. My hair is at that in-between stage where I can't really do anything with it. The two previous times I BC'd, this is the point I relaxed again because I couldn't do anything with my hair. The extensions are an attempt to avoid that. I put this set in myself they don't look great but it was my first time and I figured out some things I am going to do differently next time. I figure I will get better with practice.
Girl, I'm just messing with you.

Be proud of yourself for doing your own braids girl, that's a huge step. Indeed, practice does make perfect. Do you think you're going to continue your natural journey?

winona

I have been keeping my hair stretched. Once a week I curl former set (I pin this up for the weekend) then bun the rest of the week. I may coWash 1X during the week if my hair starts feeling dry then it is back to a bun. I wash with diluted poo 1X a week and DC 1X a week. I always add leave in and seal before I style. I BKTed in June-Oct of last year but it became too much work so I stopped. I have become very hair lazy so I am trying to keep it as simple as possible to avoid any set backs. I want to be at least BSL this year currently I am 2 inches away at the longest sections and 3 inches at the shorter ones:) My hair grows naturally in a V and I don't think I will do any major trims anymore until I reach my goal of WSL in 2013:) bar any setbacks

Poos Elasta QP Cream Conditioning or Elucence Moisture Benefits
DC took many:)
Leave Ins ASIAN Leave or PM The Conditioner
Seal Lots of pomades, butters and oil:)
Setting lotion KeraCare Foam Lotion or PM Sculpting Lotion (put into foam bottle)

Allandra

So far, I think moisturizing is a God-send. So much is said about avoiding heat, but before I started my journey or found LHCF, I never used direct heat (maybe flat ironed twice) and I always bunned, but my hair still struggled. I remained in the hair abyss that is shoulder length. However, once I started adding moisture (moisture is totally key!!) and deep conditioned more regularly, my hair started to thrive. My hair is currently BSL (and arguably MBL but I'm not comfortable with that label yet). I'm pretty tall - 5'10" - and from the front of my head to my back where my hair ends, my hair is 27 inches long.

~~

And a little off topic... For @Allandra (or anyone with experience/want to chime in). First, I want to say that your hair is beautiful! I was wondering, did you transition long when you decided to go from relaxed to natural? And how long was your transition? Also, you mentioned earlier on in the thread that you used heat once a month - did you mean flat ironing or blow drying? Did that loosen up your curls permanently in the long run? Did you flat iron just as often when you were relaxed? I want to use heat more frequently without inadvertently heat training my hair. I'm almost in month 9 of my 3 year transition and I don't really want to start off with heat trained hair as a natural.
I agree with you about the moisture. :yep: What is your hair length goal?

Thanks for the compliment. My last relaxer was October 27, 2007. I was at waist length, and I went for a hair cut on April 9, 2008. I had 6 to 8 inches cut. After that, I continued on with my transition by getting my hair trimmed a little each month. I had the last half inch of relaxed hair trimmed in October 2009. So, my total transition was basically 2 years. When I transitioned, I got my hair done weekly or bi-weekly (keeping it straight by shampoo, deep condition, blow dry, flat iron). No, this didn't loosen up my curls permanently. My hair is approaching tail bone length, so my curly / wavy hair does hang quite a bit, but not like THAT lol because I definitely have shrinkage. After my transition was complete, I didn't wear my hair straight as much, especially with the warmer months (was no use in getting it straight since it was hot). Since November 2010, I've been more consistently getting my hair flat ironed once a month (via blow drying or roller setting) by my hair stylist. I have not flat ironed my own hair since October 2010. When I was relaxed, I would roller set or blow dry and flat iron my hair often, sometimes I would put my hair in a wet bun (I credit that to getting my relaxed hair to waist length). I hope I answered all of your questions. :)

Allandra

I have been keeping my hair stretched. Once a week I curl former set (I pin this up for the weekend) then bun the rest of the week. I may coWash 1X during the week if my hair starts feeling dry then it is back to a bun. I wash with diluted poo 1X a week and DC 1X a week. I always add leave in and seal before I style. I BKTed in June-Oct of last year but it became too much work so I stopped. I have become very hair lazy so I am trying to keep it as simple as possible to avoid any set backs. I want to be at least BSL this year currently I am 2 inches away at the longest sections and 3 inches at the shorter ones:) My hair grows naturally in a V and I don't think I will do any major trims anymore until I reach my goal of WSL in 2013:) bar any setbacks

Poos Elasta QP Cream Conditioning or Elucence Moisture Benefits
DC took many:)
Leave Ins ASIAN Leave or PM The Conditioner
Seal Lots of pomades, butters and oil:)
Setting lotion KeraCare Foam Lotion or PM Sculpting Lotion (put into foam bottle)
I really do believe keeping it simple is a good thing. I can definitely say the less I do to my hair, the better off it is. I like how you set your goal and looking towards the big picture. :up:

Allandra

My regimen is in this thread (post #12), and a list of the products I use is listed in post #1. The only product I've added to my list since I started that thread is Qhemet Amla Oil Nourishing Pomade.

HTH.

ezina

Allandra

Oops, didn't realize you asked me a question! And thanks for answering my questions! I'm not really sure what my hair goal is, but I definitely want to reach waist length stretched for sure. Also, I would love for my hair to be at least MBL in its natural un-stretched state, which will mean that my stretched hair goal will definitely be beyond waist length.

Allandra

@Allandra

Oops, didn't realize you asked me a question! And thanks for answering my questions! I'm not really sure what my hair goal is, but I definitely want to reach waist length stretched for sure. Also, I would love for my hair to be at least MBL in its natural un-stretched state, which will mean that my stretched hair goal will definitely be beyond waist length.
How much relaxed hair do you still have left, and how much new growth do you have?

I really enjoyed my transition. It was so much fun. I love being natural and seeing what my hair wants to do. I know you're gonna love it.

ezina

Allandra

I'm not sure how long my new growth is exactly but it is somewhere between 3 and 5 inches on various parts of my head. The rest of my hair is relaxed. The last time I relaxed my hair, it was full APL/grazing BSL, so there is definitely still a lot of relaxed ends left. Transitioning has been fun so far but I can't wait to be all natural! I just hate having to deal with tangles, lol.

Allandra

@Allandra

I'm not sure how long my new growth is exactly but it is somewhere between 3 and 5 inches on various parts of my head. The rest of my hair is relaxed. The last time I relaxed my hair, it was full APL/grazing BSL, so there is definitely still a lot of relaxed ends left. Transitioning has been fun so far but I can't wait to be all natural! I just hate having to deal with tangles, lol.
Always allot enough time for your hair care routine. It's especially important during the transition phase (as one has to be extra gentle when dealing with the two different textures). I'm glad it's fun for you. :)

virtuenow

Aww you're using my fav mild protein (been using Aubrey Organics GPB since 2000). I hope you like it as much as I do. How are you liking the oil rinses? I've read good things about them, but I have yet to try it out. Your moisture spritz sounds yummy for the hair. Does it moisturize your hair pretty good? How has your hair been responding to the installs, and how long do you keep them in?

I love oil rinses. See the thread on oil rinsing, I basically dominated it for several months when I first discovered them. It was the firs time I realized my hair could accept "moisture" (amazing!). All I needed was a conditioner to go w/it (to allow for cleansing, added moisture & avoid stripping); and I found that in AO GPB. They are a perfect combo.

The spritz does well on my hair, it is basically a combination of all the things I use on wash/DC day (including items from my prepoo). I don't know how my hair is responding to sew-ins yet, remember, this is a new project.

As far as how long---lets put it this way, I studied the techniques of the best sew-in retention wearers like Kneechay, Ediese, Memyselfandj and Reniece. I'm not ready to say how long I will wear this install yet, but I'm going for the long haul. I go a little bit longer w/each install (beyond 2mo) I will know when I "feel" its ready to do my re-install sometime soon! Thank you for this thoughtful thread, by the way :).

dargirl

Hi everyone,

I'm usually a lurker but dang it, I want some long hur too! So my deets are 4b, texlaxed, fine strands of medium/thick density. This is turning out to be an interesting adventure for me since prior to this I had a TWA for 11yrs. I started growing my hair from an extreme TWA (bald) 2.5 years ago.

Used extension braids pretty much back-to-back for 1.5yrs. I stretch my relaxers 12-16weeks. Lately I've been giving braids a break and doing more ponytails, updos, and buns. The jury's still out on which PS works best for me. I've suffered from very dry ends in the past due to self-inflicted over-processing :look: Have learnt the hard way how to protect my ends and am slowly getting better with self-relaxing, but it's still a challenge! Salons here in Tanzania are atrocious so I'd rather do my own hair, even if it involves a few set-backs.

Have gone from moisturizing/sealing twice daily to once a day. I wash and DC twice a week; sometimes one of the washes is a co-wash. Always use really diluted shampoo on scalp only. Alternate light protein conditioners and moisturizing DCs. Pre-poo with coconut oil and have started oil rinsing to cut down on tangles, which my fine hair is prone to. Gradually trimming 2 inches of damaged, over-processed ends has also really helped.

Sorry for rambling....

Allandra

Hi everyone,

I'm usually a lurker but dang it, I want some long hur too! So my deets are 4b, texlaxed, fine strands of medium/thick density. This is turning out to be an interesting adventure for me since prior to this I had a TWA for 11yrs. I started growing my hair from an extreme TWA (bald) 2.5 years ago.

Used extension braids pretty much back-to-back for 1.5yrs. I stretch my relaxers 12-16weeks. Lately I've been giving braids a break and doing more ponytails, updos, and buns. The jury's still out on which PS works best for me. I've suffered from very dry ends in the past due to self-inflicted over-processing :look: Have learnt the hard way how to protect my ends and am slowly getting better with self-relaxing, but it's still a challenge! Salons here in Tanzania are atrocious so I'd rather do my own hair, even if it involves a few set-backs.

Have gone from moisturizing/sealing twice daily to once a day. I wash and DC twice a week; sometimes one of the washes is a co-wash. Always use really diluted shampoo on scalp only. Alternate light protein conditioners and moisturizing DCs. Pre-poo with coconut oil and have started oil rinsing to cut down on tangles, which my fine hair is prone to. Gradually trimming 2 inches of damaged, over-processed ends has also really helped.

Sorry for rambling....
Hi. What length is your hair now? Protective styling should help you to avoid dry ends. What protective styles have you tried?

Allandra

I've gone up and down with my hair.

I think I do a good job at protective styling (either braid it up and use a wig, or do senagalese twist). And I use heat about once a year or less.

But my main problem is my hair is very fragile (thin/fine) and I don't retain as much as other people and they do the same effort as me or less. But I am trying to really up the amount of nutrients I get. Green juice/smoothies and then hair vits, Omega 3 oil, and Iron (I have low iron, just tested). + tons of water.
Hopefully going back to being super dilligent with my health will help with my hair growth and retention. I haven't seen much progress in about 2.5 years but I am trying to make this year different.

sigh
Maybe you can also take a b complex vitamin (suppose to be good for hair, nails and skin), and drink lots of water. Water is my main drink. It's rare that I drink anything else (as I really dislike wasting calories on beverages). We have got to find ways to get you some progress.