For Colored Girls Only (Hair Coloring Support Thread)

faithVA

I wish I saw your post in time. I just finished the application of the Demi- permanent. I'm going to keep a watch on my hair. Hopefully it won't be over processed.

Do a true protein treatment in the next two weeks just to be on the safe side.

maxineshaw

What is your porosity? For me, I find that with colors I have to leave them in longer than the suggested allotted time. If not, it won't deposit enough.

When I colored my hair this past week, it still didnt deposit all the way but I refused to leave the color on for more than an hour. I hoping that when I use it again, it will deposit all the way.

Out of the two (clariol and avatar) which one provided the better results? Do you feel that when you used heat it deposited better?

I have no idea what my porosity is, but I have been wondering if it has contributed to my lack of success with coloring. The Avatar gave me much better results than the Clairol. And yes, heat helped. I have conditioner in my hair right now, and I am about to rinse it out, put some more of the avatar in my hair, and get back under the dryer for 45 minutes. The last time I think I stayed under the dryer for 25-30.

I have been taking pictures of my hair these past few days and I can actually see red highlights. So I will continue to try this Avatar until I run out.

Guinan

Re-Branding
My black rinse it still doing well; however the black rinse didnt take well on my ends. I think I'm going to have to use a demi-perm. I'll try one more rinse application, before resorting to the demi-perm

faithVA

My black rinse it still doing well; however the black rinse didnt take well on my ends. I think I'm going to have to use a demi-perm. I'll try one more rinse application, before resorting to the demi-perm

Maybe you can try one of the ION porosity products on your ends and try the black rinse again. Maybe your ends are more porous than the rest and the color isn't sticking.

naija24

so yall do your own coloring or do you go to a professional?

Also for the natural ladies, how do you color your own hair? Do you apply it like a conditioner?

faithVA

Also for the natural ladies, how do you color your own hair? Do you apply it like a conditioner?

Both. There are ladies that do their own and ladies that get theirs done at a salon. I think more tend to do it themselves.

I will let other ladies answer the next question because I am sure it could vary based on what type of color they are using and how much hair they are coloring.

I use permanent color and I only color my roots. I use a root applicator bottle that you can get from Sallys. I part my hair in small sections and apply it only to my roots.

crlsweetie912

Two weeks in and I can say I LOVE the silk elements semi permanent color. The black is so rich and deep. Didn't get a lot of fade or running like I thought I would with the first shampoo. I just have to be careful the next time to make sure I rinse really well.
But this is a keeper. I just wish kinda that my hair didn't grow so much now cause with the shorter hair it's so noticeable when my roots start to show. Can't win. :lachen:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
so yall do your own coloring or do you go to a professional? Also for the natural ladies, how do you color your own hair? Do you apply it like a conditioner?

I do my own color. I just squeeze it into my hands and rub it on my hair starting at the ends because I like my ends lighter. By the time I'm done I'm rubbing it all over my head like conditioner unless I'm dying my hair 2 different colors. If I'm going two toned I make a U or L part depending on the look I'm going for then add the lighter color to the appropriate section then the darker color. They type of dye I use depends on the look I want.

NaturallyATLPCH

I do my own color. I am natural and my hair is short on the sides and medium on the top, so I just slathered my last color in. I used Luminous Blonde by Dark and Lovely and it came out a nice strawberry blonde.

I did buy some Kaleidocolors Gold because I want to put in some chunky gold highlights. I will be doing this myself as well.

g.lo

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)
I had a permanent colour, i had it done 4 days ago professionally. The colour they used is "organic colour system"

2. How often you color

This is the 3rd time

3. Your color regimen if any

Weekly protein treatment, using Ocs revamp (protein treatment)
Dc twice a week
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history

Few months only.
First time in July, second time September and third time 4 days ago

5. Anything else you would like to share.

Preparing for the colour and up my protein and moisture has contributed a lot to keep my fine strands on my head.
I haven't experienced any breakage, splits ends or dryness. I am loving it

Ps I added a filter on the pic to show the intensity of colour as my camera doesn't really capture the actual colour

Attachments

• image-118112253.jpg
    image-118112253.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 92

faithVA

I'm playing around with Grecian formula on my temples. I definitely think that it works but I use clay in my hair 1x to 2x a week. Not sure how that would work out. I will use it through January to see if it holds up. It is very easy to use.

GettingKinky

For those of you who use Demi-permanent to cover your gray, how often do you get color? My plan is every 8 weeks, but I wonder if that's too frequent.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

My current color was done by a professional. Mainly because I didn't want my whole head covered just the top. I used Shea Moistures color system before though. I just used the squeeze applicator bottle to apply to my hair.

nesha24

Yeah for this thread!!!!
1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc) Semi color
2. How often you color - I did my first color (highights) in August/early September
3. Your color regimen if any - Nothing new, but I'm trying to up my moister and protein game
4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history - First Time
5. Anything else you would like to share. - This is my first time ever having any color or chemical in my hair. I'm over the color and I mildly regret it because the color ruined my curl pattern. I'm trying to nurse it back to health so I don't have to chop it all off.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have decided not to use demi permanent color. I am terrified of developers even low levels. I want to do a semipermanent rinse instead. I'm doing putple! My lifted ombre ends will be a deep purple and my roots will appear black indoors and have a slight purple tint outdoors and in fluorescent light.

I will post pics when I get it done in 3 weeks.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I have low porosity hair so color helps with moisture.

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc): permanent

2. How often you color: 6 months - 1 year (professionally)

3. Your color regimen if any- I plan on washing and deep conditioning weekly as well as weekly light protein. heavy protein once a month. I want to try and use color friendly conditioners so I purchased a bottle of Joico from Marshalls. It felt so nice.:lick:

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history----I have been coloring since i was a teen. My most recent color was done professionally. I got it lighter on the top and darker on the sides.

5. Anything else you would like to share.---- be careful with frequent straightening of natural hair that is colored. That's what got me where I am not (big chopped yet again).

My current color situation

Last edited:

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
I just put a rinse on my hair last night. I use Manic Panic Vampire Red about every 6 weeks. My hair color was lifted with bleach a while back (I will NEVER do that again)! The only thing I don't like about the Manic Panic is that it bleeds something terrible, and having locs just makes it impossible to rinse it all out.

Attachments

• image-3626597291.jpg
    image-3626597291.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image-4207407723.jpg
    image-4207407723.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 107

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I went to Sally's to get my Age Beautiful Demi-Color yesterday. I got purple, black, and clear. I plan on dyeing on Friday or Saturday.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I just put a rinse on my hair last night. I use Manic Panic Vampire Red about every 6 weeks. My hair color was lifted with bleach a while back (I will NEVER do that again)! The only thing I don't like about the Manic Panic is that it bleeds something terrible, and having locs just makes it impossible to rinse it all out.

Ur locs and color are gorg. Like i REALLY love that color

MzRhonda

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)
I have probably used all 3 during my coloring while relaxed and now transitioning to almost fully natural. I usually use black to cover these grays :grin: I go between Bigen, Just 5, Dark and Lovely, Clairol Beautiful Collection etc :grin:

2. How often you color
at least once per month because the gray around my edges and top start coming back.

3. Your color regimen if any
Wash and Color generally same day

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history
Many, many years

5. Anything else you would like to share.
I am really looking for the right product that will last longer than it does now because of my edges.

A great tip so that your color last longer and does not fade is to wash with a sulfate free shampoo.......I have been using Wen for many, many years and I could tell the difference in how well my color held up after washing even when I was relaxed.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Today I bought a bottle of Adore Purple rage semi permanent dye and a huge bottle of Aphogee 2 minute. Now I just have to find the time go dye it :yay:

faithVA

I wanted to try L'Oreals new Mousse Absolue to just touch up my hair line. But it is getting terrible reviews on their site. I guess I will try to just mix a small portion of a regular dye to do my front :sad:

Honey Bee

I need Aveda reviews. Nap85 scared me to death, I'm willing to invest in color. Aveda seems to be the healthiest choice, but I'd like to be as sure as possible.

tapioca_pudding

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc) - Permanent blonde highlights

2. How often you color Just go the color done over Xmas break, not sure how often I'll refresh

3. Your color regimen if any -Just be smart about it - use protein when needed, no misuse of heat, DC often etc.

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history - I've been coloring off and on for years but I just bc'd and got new color about two weeks ago. :drunk:

5. Anything else you would like to share. Don't be afraid of color, just be smart about it and take care of your hair. :yep:

faithVA

[USER=149048 said:
Honey Bee[/USER];20994789]I need Aveda reviews. Nap85 scared me to death, I'm willing to invest in color. Aveda seems to be the healthiest choice, but I'd like to be as sure as possible.

What did she say that scared you? I missed it.