For Colored Girls Only (Hair Coloring Support Thread)

faithVA

[USER=406999 said:
Prettymetty[/USER];20893237]I'm really hoping the 10% developer doesn't damage my hair. I plan to retouch my Demipermanent color every 6 months. Next month will be my first time using Ion demi color. I'm really nervous and anxious at the same time:blush:

Are you doing it yourself?

Just stick to the directions and do a protein treatment after 3 days, followed by a nice moisturizing DC. And just keep loving on your hair. You should be fine.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Are you doing it yourself?

Just stick to the directions and do a protein treatment after 3 days, followed by a nice moisturizing DC. And just keep loving on your hair. You should be fine.

My mother in law volunteered to do it for me. I just have to bring everything to her house.

faithVA

[USER=406999 said:
Prettymetty[/USER];20893327]My mother in law volunteered to do it for me. I just have to bring everything to her house.

Very nice. Just make sure she stays within the allotted time.

GettingKinky

I'm really hoping the 10% developer doesn't damage my hair. I plan to retouch my Demipermanent color every 6 months. Next month will be my first time using Ion demi color. I'm really nervous and anxious at the same time:blush:

I was really nervous about my demi permanent too. My stylist used 5% developer and so far I haven't noticed any damage.

maxineshaw

To hang out, please share

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)
I was using semi, but that stuff just runs right out of my head and onto my pillow. I need an alternative.

2. How often you color
I just started a few weeks ago :wink2:

3. Your color regimen if any
See #2

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history
When I first went natural I put a permanent color in my hair. It left it feeling so raw that I cut off two years worth of growth. That's how nasty my hair felt. No amount of conditioning would change it. I think the brand was Dark n Lovely. The color looked so pretty though. (and tell me if this is true-my mother said that store bought brands made for black women are usually pretty harsh and that I would have better luck with something like Loreal). I just recently started putting rinses in it. I tried a beautiful but if it had any effect only God could see it. Now I am experimenting with a brand called Avatar. I am trying to get the perfect dark Cherry Cola color (a nice color that I think the military will let me get away with:look:).

I just washed my hair the other day and I'm pretty sure the rest of the rinse came out. Prior to that, any time I would moisturize my hair (using Hawaii Silky at the moment) the dye would rub off. Super annoying.

5. Anything else you would like to share.
I am trying to avoid permanent dye because I am afraid of it. If anybody has any suggestions by all means let me know.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I currently have a permanent with highlights that I had done summer 2013. I put in a semi-perm in September. It has faded from the dyed hair but I can still see it on my natural hair.

2. How often you color
I won't be doing any permanent color for a while if I even ever do it again. I'd like to do the semi every 3-4 months.

I dont do anything differently. My hair growth did stall since getting the permanent. I have been at WL for a year. But I don't have time to show my hair TLC like I used to so that's why I won't be doing permanent anymore.

I had highlights done one nearly 10 years ago (in highschool), once last summer and this year was my first time experimenting with semi-color at home. I'm debating on doing a demi in the future.

5. Anything else you'd like to share?
I'm a bit afraid the demi color may cause damage as well. I have to explore it some more.

faithVA

I was using semi, but that stuff just runs right out of my head and onto my pillow. I need an alternative.

2. How often you color

See #2

When I first went natural I put a permanent color in my hair. It left it feeling so raw that I cut off two years worth of growth. That's how nasty my hair felt. No amount of conditioning would change it. I think the brand was Dark n Lovely. The color looked so pretty though. (and tell me if this is true-my mother said that store bought brands made for black women are usually pretty harsh and that I would have better luck with something like Loreal). I just recently started putting rinses in it. I tried a beautiful but if it had any effect only God could see it. Now I am experimenting with a brand called Avatar. I am trying to get the perfect dark Cherry Cola color (a nice color that I think the military will let me get away with:look:).

I just washed my hair the other day and I'm pretty sure the rest of the rinse came out. Prior to that, any time I would moisturize my hair (using Hawaii Silky at the moment) the dye would rub off. Super annoying.

I am trying to avoid permanent dye because I am afraid of it. If anybody has any suggestions by all means let me know.

Hey Anonymous53, it might be helpful to read through the thread and see what other ladies are using. We have a few ladies that have been doing semi-permanent for years.

If you aren't graying, skip the permanent color.

Guinan

Re-Branding

2. How often you color

See #2

What brand of rinse are you using? The 1st couple of washes it will "bleed" out, but after a while it shouldnt be doing that. I just recently rinsed my hair midnight black and I had my 1st wash since rinsing, yesterday and some of it did rinse out, but the color is still present. How long are you leaving the rinse on? I usually leave my rinse on for about 30mins to an hour (but really you should only leave it on for 30mins).

There could be a couple of reasons why your rinses arent lasting:

1. Quality of the product. I used to use, I think, Jazzy; and it never lasted. I now used either Silk Elements or Clairol
2. You arent leaving the risne in long enough. I have lo-med porosity, so rinses are difficult to deposit in my hair. When I used to go to a hair stylist she always had to put be under the dryer in order for the color to deposit. When I do them at home, I just leave the rinse in longer.
3. Your applying a semi-perm on dirty hair. When using a semi-perm it should be on clean hair. Whereas if it is a perm color you should be doing it on "dirty" hair (I believe).

I hope this helps

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

I got the silk elements today. Hope it goes well. It's probably just like Clairol Beautiful collection. Looks almost exactly like it. Oh well.

I used the silk elements on Saturday. I really liked how it came out. It seemed a little harder to wash out than the Beautiful one. I think I will get a lot of bleeding when I wash this weekend. But the color is deep shiny and I got amazing coverage over the grays.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Umm..that's interesting for highlights not to have bleach. If it's not permanent then it will fade and will have to be retouched. What color are the highlights?

pelohelo they are lighter shades of brown. I've attached a pic. And I don't think they are fading actually because yesterday when I went outside they were POPPING. I guess it's harder to see indoors since they aren't a blonde color. But yeah, no bleach was used because of the color.

My hair is smushed in this pic because I just woke up. But this should give you an idea of the highlights. They are more vibrant in person and in natural light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 100

Guinan

Re-Branding
@pelohelo they are lighter shades of brown. I've attached a pic. And I don't think they are fading actually because yesterday when I went outside they were POPPING. I guess it's harder to see indoors since they aren't a blonde color. But yeah, no bleach was used because of the color.

My hair is smushed in this pic because I just woke up. But this should give you an idea of the highlights. They are more vibrant in person and in natural light.

Ok, that's freaking awesome that you were able to obtain that color without bleach. It's VERY visible.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Ok, that's freaking awesome that you were able to obtain that color without bleach. It's VERY visible.

I hope that broad didn't lie to me. The colors were by Aveda if that makes any difference. My hair doesn't feel dry and there has been zero breakage. I got my hair colored maybe 3 weeks ago so I assume I'd feel a difference by now uf something bad was going to happen like dryness. Is there a way to know if bleach was added? pelohello

Guinan

Re-Branding
I hope that broad didn't lie to me. The colors were by Aveda if that makes any difference. My hair doesn't feel dry and there has been zero breakage. I got my hair colored maybe 3 weeks ago so I assume I'd feel a difference by now uf something bad was going to happen like dryness. Is there a way to know if bleach was added? @pelohello

Maybe by checking aveda website to see if they have semi-perms like that. When she did the highlights did it smell like bleach when she was applying it? It might be due to the quality of the product. I used to get black rinses after a relaxer, and the quality was sooo good it would take months for it to wash out. My sister can get bright highlights like that; but usually after a relaxer. To make it brighter, she will use foil.

I'm gonna check out Aveda's website, cause if I can purchase it on my own that would be awesome. I want highlights like that but I really dont want to use bleach.

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Maybe by checking aveda website to see if they have semi-perms like that. When she did the highlights did it smell like bleach when she was applying it? It might be due to the quality of the product. I used to get black rinses after a relaxer, and the quality was sooo good it would take months for it to wash out. My sister can get bright highlights like that; but usually after a relaxer. To make it brighter, she will use foil.

I'm gonna check out Aveda's website, cause if I can purchase it on my own that would be awesome. I want highlights like that but I really dont want to use bleach.

She did use foil and sat me under the dryer for maybe 20 minutes. My hair was virgin hair so not sure if that is why no bleach was needed. I didn't smell anything when she applied the color. She said since I was sticking with brown shades just a few colors lighter than my own hair no bleach would be necessary. That ***** better not have lied to me :lol: but my hair doesn't look or feel dry or damaged so I guess not.

Guinan

Re-Branding
She did use foil and sat me under the dryer for maybe 20 minutes. My hair was virgin hair so not sure if that is why no bleach was needed. I didn't smell anything when she applied the color. She said since I was sticking with brown shades just a few colors lighter than my own hair no bleach would be necessary. That ***** better not have lied to me :lol: but my hair doesn't look or feel dry or damaged so I guess not.

That's it then!!! Foil!!! I think I'm def gonna give that a try. When my sister was applying her semi-perm as highlights w/ using a foil, I thought she was crazy:lachen: But she std that it makes the color brighter. I didnt believe her b/c she uses the semi perm after a relaxer.

I'm getting mad excited. I have all this hair foil at home. Oh it's a bout to go down. :yep::yep::yep::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

That's it then!!! Foil!!! I think I'm def gonna give that a try. When my sister was applying her semi-perm as highlights w/ using a foil, I thought she was crazy:lachen: But she std that it makes the color brighter. I didnt believe her b/c she uses the semi perm after a relaxer.

I'm getting mad excited. I have all this hair foil at home. Oh it's a bout to go down. :yep::yep::yep::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Lol!!! What does the foil have to do with it? Does it help to bake the color in it something? But yeah that's the process she used. So I guess I feel like she told me the truth. Whew!!!!

Guinan

Re-Branding
Lol!!! What does the foil have to do with it? Does it help to bake the color in it something? But yeah that's the process she used. So I guess I feel like she told me the truth. Whew!!!!

IDK, but I'm gonna try it and see how it turns out. I would love to try it with a blue rinse and see if it will come out like a highlight. I don't know enough about the foil but I rather play around with it using a semi perm instead of a perm

faithVA

It is good to have you back on the forum. You were missed. Yeah, I know I'm late but a wave of sentiment swept over me :lol:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

IDK, but I'm gonna try it and see how it turns out. I would love to try it with a blue rinse and see if it will come out like a highlight. I don't know enough about the foil but I rather play around with it using a semi perm instead of a perm

Keep me posted because I'm curious to see how it turns out and what your thoughts are.

MilkChocolateOne

I hope that broad didn't lie to me. The colors were by Aveda if that makes any difference. My hair doesn't feel dry and there has been zero breakage. I got my hair colored maybe 3 weeks ago so I assume I'd feel a difference by now uf something bad was going to happen like dryness. Is there a way to know if bleach was added? @pelohello

"technically" she could have been telling the truth. Aveda is misleading with their natural product claims. Their products may contain "plant derived" ingredients but they also contain typical hair coloring chemicals too. I don't know what she used on your hair but Aveda's developer does contain peroxide which isn't bleach but it does lift hair color. Also some of Aveda's permanent colors do contain ppd and ammonium hydroxide but their demi permanent line doesn't. I think Aveda has good formulations with buffers that minimize damage.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-60517.html

http://www.natural-living-for-women.com/aveda-hair-color-reviews.html

Je Ne Sais Quoi

"technically" she could have been telling the truth. Aveda is misleading with their natural product claims. Their products may contain "plant derived" ingredients but they also contain typical hair coloring chemicals too. I don't know what she used on your hair but Aveda's developer does contain peroxide which isn't bleach but it does lift hair color. Also some of Aveda's permanent colors do contain ppd and ammonium hydroxide but their demi permanent line doesn't. I think Aveda has good formulations with buffers that minimize damage.

Ahhhh. That is good to know. I am going to ask her next time I go what type of color she used because I honestly don't know. But I can say that whatever it was it was very gentle.

maxineshaw

What brand of rinse are you using? The 1st couple of washes it will "bleed" out, but after a while it shouldnt be doing that. I just recently rinsed my hair midnight black and I had my 1st wash since rinsing, yesterday and some of it did rinse out, but the color is still present. How long are you leaving the rinse on? I usually leave my rinse on for about 30mins to an hour (but really you should only leave it on for 30mins).

There could be a couple of reasons why your rinses arent lasting:

1. Quality of the product. I used to use, I think, Jazzy; and it never lasted. I now used either Silk Elements or Clairol
2. You arent leaving the risne in long enough. I have lo-med porosity, so rinses are difficult to deposit in my hair. When I used to go to a hair stylist she always had to put be under the dryer in order for the color to deposit. When I do them at home, I just leave the rinse in longer.
3. Your applying a semi-perm on dirty hair. When using a semi-perm it should be on clean hair. Whereas if it is a perm color you should be doing it on "dirty" hair (I believe).

I hope this helps

The first time I colored I used Clairol beautiful. I can't remember the color. The second time I bought Avatar in Cherry Cola.

With the Clairol I followed the direction and apparently that isn't enough to make the color deposit in my hair (I think they say around 20 minutes). With the Avatar I left it in my hair for half an hour, and I was under a dryer.

My hair was always clean. I would wash, deep condition, and then apply the color. Are you suggesting that I keep trying to color my hair in order to "build" it up?

Holla

:yep: I love Aveda hair color! I only use Aveda for highlights when I get color. I went to a non-Aveda salon once for highlights (I thought it was Aveda salon when I made the appt). I experienced the dryness that people tend to associate with highlights. I never ventured away from Aveda color after that one experience. I never have any problems with breakage or damage when I use Aveda.

Beautified16

Texlaxed
I use Semi & Demi Permanent
2. How often you colour
I used a demi permanent for the first time last month and I use semi permanent whenever I feel like it
My regimen is the same except that I steam more.
4. How long you have been coloring or your colouring history
I have been using semi permanents for a bout 3-4 years and demi for a month
Not that I can think of at the moment

Beautified16

Texlaxed
Last month I used Ion's Demi Permanent Colour. Is it too much to use another demo-permanent a month later. I want to change the colour from red to purple.

mssoconfused

Last month I used Ion's Demi Permanent Colour. Is it too much to use another demo-permanent a month later. I want to change the colour from red to purple.

I've used a semi and demi w/in a 6 week span with no issues before. Please let me know how you like the purple color! Is your hair lightened or are you putting this over dark hair? I'm thinking about mixing this with an indigo blue I found.

faithVA

A month may be too soon. You may not notice it initially but it may leave your hair over processed in the long run.

Guinan

Re-Branding
The first time I colored I used Clairol beautiful. I can't remember the color. The second time I bought Avatar in Cherry Cola.

With the Clairol I followed the direction and apparently that isn't enough to make the color deposit in my hair (I think they say around 20 minutes). With the Avatar I left it in my hair for half an hour, and I was under a dryer.

My hair was always clean. I would wash, deep condition, and then apply the color. Are you suggesting that I keep trying to color my hair in order to "build" it up?

What is your porosity? For me, I find that with colors I have to leave them in longer than the suggested allotted time. If not, it won't deposit enough.

When I colored my hair this past week, it still didnt deposit all the way but I refused to leave the color on for more than an hour. I hoping that when I use it again, it will deposit all the way.

Out of the two (clariol and avatar) which one provided the better results? Do you feel that when you used heat it deposited better?

Beautified16

Texlaxed
A month may be too soon. You may not notice it initially but it may leave your hair over processed in the long run.

I wish I saw your post in time. I just finished the application of the Demi- permanent. I'm going to keep a watch on my hair. Hopefully it won't be over processed.