For coconut oil lovers

kasey

Over the weekend I learned that Vitamin Shoppe now has Garden of Life Coconut oil.

This is the brand that Crysdon has raved about.

I have used a brand by Omega Nutrition and a brand from a local African market with some success, but have been curious about the GOL brand.

According to my research the difference between GOL and cheaper brands is that GOL coconut oil is made from coconut milk, while cheaper brands are made from dried coconut meat. The GOL brand is said to be extracted without solvents.

Well, I ordered the GOL from VShoppe on Saturday. it is on sale for $11.17 (16 ounces). It can be used both for cooking and for hair and skin care.

Hope that this helps someone..

--kc

Country gal

I also have the GOL from Vitamin shoppe. I am still getting use to the smell. It smells like baby pee that has been sitting in a diaper for a while. Ugh! I use it for my skin. Only use it once for my hair. I knocked over the container and most of the oil spilled over.

I like it better than spectrum's coconut oil.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
It smells like baby pee that has been sitting in a diaper for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

UHN! So it doesn't smell like coconut?

marabou1

[ QUOTE ]
Over the weekend I learned that Vitamin Shoppe now has Garden of Life Coconut oil.

This is the brand that Crysdon has raved about.

I have used a brand by Omega Nutrition and a brand from a local African market with some success, but have been curious about the GOL brand.

According to my research the difference between GOL and cheaper brands is that GOL coconut oil is made from coconut milk, while cheaper brands are made from dried coconut meat. The GOL brand is said to be extracted without solvents.

Well, I ordered the GOL from VShoppe on Saturday. it is on sale for $11.17 (16 ounces). It can be used both for cooking and for hair and skin care.

Hope that this helps someone..

--kc

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Kasey!

Vevster: That's the same brand that's mentioned in the article you posted over on the health thread.

I'm off to Vitamin Shoppe!

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
am still getting use to the smell. It smells like baby pee that has been sitting in a diaper for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

I think you got a bad batch. GOL coconut oil smells like coconuts. I use it on my hair as well as my body and I never smell like baby pee.

Yes Kasey, I rave about this constantly
. Just bought another jar this weekend.

Armyqt

Thanks for the info. Thanks to Crysdon, I;m also a cocnut oil convert. I'm still on my first jar, but as soon as I get to me new location, I'll be stopping by the vitamin shoppe

Country gal

C,

I think I am just not use to the real smell of cocunut. My grandma says it smells like coconuts. I am use to lotions with a sweeter smell. It doesn't smell bad when applied to my skin. It just stinks when I open it. I will be getting another batch because I wasted my batch.

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am just not use to the real smell of cocunut. My grandma says it smells like coconuts. I am use to lotions with a sweeter smell.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right sbaker. Real coconuts don't smell like the cakes and lotions that we're used to. You'll like it in the long run.

Cleo

Crysdon, what are the benefits of using coconut oil on the hair? Which oil would be good for moisturizing and growth?

Crysdon

Coconut oil softens the hair and conditions the scalp. It is also great for shine and a little goes a long way.

Oil doesn't moisturize your hair, it just seals in the moisture. If you apply any light oil (besides petroleum or mineral oil) to damp hair, it will seal in the moisture. I hear castor oil is good for growth.

debyjay

Crysdon does that mean I should spritz my ends with a little water then oil it? I'm new to this moisturizing stuff.

Cleo, my grandma swears the castor oil thickens the hair and I know for sure that mixing castor with coconut oil really softens new growth.

Rosalinde

I have been using coconut oil for about two weeks, and i also don't like the smell. it smells like popcorn oil, but i like the shine it gives my hair. Quess i will just have to get over the
smell.

Cleo

Thanks sweetie. I will go pick up some coconut and castor oil today to add to my regimen.

TwistNMx

What a godsend. Thanks.

I will look for Vitamin Shoppe's "Garden of Life" today.
I ran out of my "Spectrum" over 1 wk ago and the health food store I've been getting it from told me they don't know when they will re-stock (still haven't). Said that it's been going pretty fast. Seems to be my story. Once I really like something, it seems to disappear from the shelves.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you have coconut oil that is scented?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered my coconut oil from natureswildchild.com It was the virgin oil de coco creme (or something to that effect). It smells exactly like coconuts. I mean you can literally close your eyes and smell it and you would think you're actually holding a freshly chopped open coconut. Or a coconut creme pie! Ok, maybe I'm a little hungry right now, but it really does smell just like coconut.