Flat ironing 4ab hair without blowdrying

RegaLady

It seems when I blow dry my hair before flat ironing I end up with broken pieces on the floor. So I want to forgo the blowdryer and flat iron on stretched hair without heat instead. Has anyone achieved this and is it healthier? TIA

Dee Raven

I do this. I wear my hair for a day or two in a bun or two buns.Then if need be I'll quickly blowdry any remaining wet areas. After that I flat iron. No problems. My hair was definitely healthier because I experienced the same problem as you.

westNDNbeauty

OP consider this, you may end up using more heat for a more desired straightness. And if you don't use more heat, the results may not be desirable.

Many will tell you, the blow dry is the key to great results.

Have you attempted blow drying in smaller sections?

EnExitStageLeft

This is the method I have been using for about a year and a half now. I usually band my hair and then allow it to air dry. If its still damp before I plan to straighten, it is then that I blow dry using the tension method and then flat iron. I find that I have little to no breakage this way.

Banding method Tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-rfZciCDzg

Blow Dry Tension Method Tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EXTtMD6O_U

I'm not sure if you're relaxed or natural, but these methods work well on both.

HTH's:)

natural_one

I never blowdry and I am able to get bone straight results in two passes..I put my hair in 4 ponytails and two strand twists the ends and let it dry overnight.

RegaLady

OP consider this, you may end up using more heat for a more desired straightness. And if you don't use more heat, the results may not be desirable.

Many will tell you, the blow dry is the key to great results.

Have you attempted blow drying in smaller sections?

I tested the back of my hair using only the flat iron and my hair was straight. I had the setting on 350. Is that too hot? The blow dryer just dries my hair out so bad:nono: So I was wondering if no blow dryer and 350 degrees with two passes will be healthier than blowdrying it straight and using heat.

southerncitygirl

RegaLady
don't blowdry soaking wet hair, make sure you use a lil leave-in first. i say wait till you are at least 50-60% dry them blow it out. blow drying makes for a smoother finish and you can use less flatiron heat. you could use the flatiron on 300 instead.

also make sure you deep condition before and stay on top of your protein levels

knt1229

This is what I do with my hair. I wash and condition, then, put on the moisturizer. Twist and let it air dry. Once dry, I untwist and flat iron. My hair turns out great. It's very smooth and straight. I believe the key to getting a great flat iron is making sure the hair is moisturized and conditioned. Dry hair frizzes and won't get straight. I don't know the temperature I use on my flat iron but it isn't high heat, though. I set it to a lower setting. I can get my hair straight or a get a smooth straight curl with one pass.

Last edited:

BonBon

I band my hair these days and will be using that method for flat ironing. My hair gets so dry and crispy with blow driers I hate it. The 4a part of my hair doesn't fair too bad but the 4b can't take it.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
im surprised no one mentioned roller setting. if you cant get the hang of the traditional way you can do a ponytail cheat set. the results give you hair that is super easy to flat iron and the hair comes out smooth and more moisturized as compared to blow drying.

i dont like the way blowdried hair feels(even if my hair is well conditioned before hand.

marta9227

I air dry to 50 or 60% and then I blow dry and flat iron my roots only and silk wrap. For me the flat iron was the culprit. I have an awesome infiniti pro blow dryer hatchet style with a double row comb.

nubiennze

im surprised no one mentioned roller setting. if you cant get the hang of the traditional way you can do a ponytail cheat set. the results give you hair that is super easy to flat iron and the hair comes out smooth and more moisturized as compared to blow drying.

+1 for rollersetting--I achieve pretty darn close to bone straight results with one slow pass using a tension brush and moderate heat.

abbygirl

co-signing on rollersetting, blow drying just leads to broken hair strands all over the floor for me.
I get good results with rollersetting and flat ironing.

SilentRuby

Use a liquid leave-in moisturizer before blowdrying. I had the same problem the last two years where I would have a lot of broken pieces or ripped through my hair because the blowdryer was drying it out...even with an upgraded professional dryer. I would get so-so flat iron results but it never did have that free flowing movement like I wanted (like WestNdianbeauty). I ended up getting Aveeno's leave-in only $4.99 at Target or other drugstores and my hair is silky smooth after blowdrying. I use less heat and have little to no broken pieces. Now that my blow jobs :grin: are better, my hair is silky straight with plenty of movement after one pass.

RegaLady

@RegaLady

What are your current methods and products you use for straight hair. I like your avatar pic.

Vanthie

Thank you!:grin:

I washed with CON, DC'd with AO conditioners. I blowdried with a comb attachment(not doing that anymore:ohwell:) and flat iron. I use heat protectants when I blowdry and when I flat iron. I used flexirods in the pic in my avatar.

Gobal

Rollersetting alone gets my hair pretty straight and smoother than any blowdryer ever could, plus it's better than blowdrying. One pass with the flat iron is all I need once I rollerset