Flat Iron Heat Setting

inthepink

I know there was a post that had what setting people use when using their flat iron but I can't seem to find it with the search! What setting does everyone use to flat iron and please mention whether you're relaxed, natural, or transitioning.

I flat ironed my hair today and used the Jilber Porcelain Ceramic Flat Iron on a heat setting of 15. It glided through my hair reasonably well. My relaxed hair is super straight. My natural hair is straight but with a slight wave to it. I don't know if that means I should use a higher heat setting or run it through my hair more times - I only ran it through twice.

Any thoughts?

chocolate01

I dont have a ceramic flat iron, the one i use is a cheap hot tools flat iron and straightner. I usually keep mine down around seven and pull it through once just to bump my ends. When im done my hair is straight with a slight bend to the ends. Level 15 sounds kinda high to me especially if your hair is already relaxed super straight, but then again I dont know too much about the ceramic flat irons and how they differ from the rest.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
You will probably get quite a range of answers depending upon the iron people have..I have the FHI and mine goes by degrees.. like 250,300, 370, etc.. mine goes up to 450.. I had another flat iron.. I don't know who makes it..but I paid $110 for it at the salon I go to..there is just an on and off switch.. so I have no idea how hot that one got.. I thought it was the best thing in the world till I got my FHI! I usually have mine set between the 300 and the 370..but I just put my hair through once and that's it..it gets super straight..

Allandra

BTW, I have a Jilbere ceramic flat iron (not the porcelain one though). It goes up to 230 degrees. HTH!

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
You will probably get quite a range of answers depending upon the iron people have..I have the FHI and mine goes by degrees.. like 250,300, 370, etc.. mine goes up to 450.. I had another flat iron.. I don't know who makes it..but I paid $110 for it at the salon I go to..there is just an on and off switch.. so I have no idea how hot that one got.. I thought it was the best thing in the world till I got my FHI! I usually have mine set between the 300 and the 370..but I just put my hair through once and that's it..it gets super straight..

[/ QUOTE ]
RushGirl is right about the 'range of answers' since flat irons vary in degrees. What setting have you found works for your hair Hairlove? Something like this definitely isn't a 'one size fits all'.

blue_flower

I have a Vidal Sassoon flat iron and I use the highest setting, which is 20. Since it's hard to make the roots straight, I usually use my Conair Steam Iron.

inthepink

Allandra,

I used the setting at 15. I guess I am curious b/c as I mentioned in my post, my natural hair still had a very slight wave pattern to it...very slight and loose but yet, still there. The setting at 15 worked great on my relaxed hair. I guess I needed opinions on if it would be harmful to my hair to use a higher heat setting to get rid of that wave completely the next time I flat iron...by comparing to what other poeple use.

If anyone runs across that original post about heat settings, please bump it for me!

inthepink

I think I've found my own answer. I do need to use a higher heat setting. I just took a look at my Jilbere directions and it has various heat settings for different types of hair:

1-9 for fragile, very fine hair
10-14 for thin, easy-to-curl hair
15-19 for Normal textured hair (my relaxed hair)
20-24 for wavy or curly hair (my natural hair)
25-30 for coarse, very thick hair

I wish I had read these directions beforehand. I guess I can't figure out how I'd flat iron one portion of my hair with one heat setting and then use a different heat setting for the other portion of hair. Hmmph.