FINE/THIN Hair = NO or YES to braids

BSweet

I want to braid my hair for the rest of the summer b/c im going back to school in an area where its hard to find a good black hair stylist.

Theres one shes alright but she charges a lot and does not even do a great job.

SO i wanted to braid my hair..but i have fine thin hair...and micro braids did a number on my hair a year ago.

But i was going to put bigger braids in this time..what ya think?...please answer..i need all the advice i can get...

Synthia

Braids thinned out my temple area and they remain thin to this day.

I don't think those with fine/thin hair should ever stress it with braids (or weaves for that matter).

Maybe you can learn to self-style or see if Beyonce can recommend a lacefront.

BSweet

well that was a quick NO :eek: ...thanks i guess i'll have to just deal with the hair stlylist :lol:

patience007

Well, I have braids in my hair as we speak or should I say type. I also have fine and thin hair. You know how people always think their hair is so thin but it's decent ... Well, my hair is thin! My friends call me thinners!!hahahahaha...But lately they've been feeling me....hahahaha

Back to the story.....I braid my hair often. My hair has grown ever since i've started braiding my hair. But I must be honest and say it looks thinner everytime I take out the braids but after doing a few daily conditioner washes with kera-care moisturizing CON for about two weeks it returns to the normal state it was in before the braids. I braid my hair for 8 weeks then a take a 4 month break. I use my own little mix for my braids and i wrap it up with a silk scarf at nite. I rip out one braid halfway every two weeks to check if my hair is feeling moisturized.

I think my hair is looking good dispite how thin it is because it is getting longer. I keep it even so it looks fuller that way!My hair is between my ears and neck before braids it wasnt leveled. I guess u can say it;s like a bob. Before braids I couldnt get my hair to pass my ears. I've been doing this for a year now.

I hope this helped!!Good luck...Patience

cutiebe2

I have FINE hair and its thin too. I got braids, and using the GAG method, I have seen growth. You have to get the size JUST right. I had bigger braids and my hair got so frizzy because my thin hair just slipped out the braids. Micro braid break you hair which is why I don't get them. Mine are good now...and I use Diva's hair advice to keep them moisturized and such.
So you can do it... you just have to keep on top of them!!!

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
cutiebe2 said:
I have FINE hair and its thin too. I got braids, and using the GAG method, I have seen growth. You have to get the size JUST right. I had bigger braids and my hair got so frizzy because my thin hair just slipped out the braids. Micro braid break you hair which is why I don't get them. Mine are good now...and I use Diva's hair advice to keep them moisturized and such.
So you can do it... you just have to keep on top of them!!!

Exactly! Relaxers thin my hair drastically, but I have great braider and never get tiny braids and they've worked wonders.

joyous

Synthia said:

I don't think those with fine/thin hair should ever stress it with braids (or weaves for that matter).

I agree with Synthia. My hair is thin and after a couple of mishaps with weaves I never get braids or weaves. They are a disaster for our hair type and thin the hair even more.

LABETT

I have fine hair and braids made my hair thicker, when it was time to relaxer my stylist said my hair was so thick at the roots.
I dont get micro braids but I get the cornrow braided updo style.
I follow the C&G method with MTG which has difinitely made my hair thicker.
I also use the orginal Imfusium 23 leave-in condtioner.

cutiebe2

have you tried them?? I say try them for a period of three weeks
NOT tight
A LOT of moisture, some protien... etc.
RIGHT type of hair (kanekalon... with the base taken off to prevent irritation (CAG method))
make sure its not pulling on the scalp or too small
then in the end you can see if you hair is responing well

Faith

You could do it BUT here is a tip (FOR ALL BRAIDERS) ...especially for your hairline. Braid the section FIRST (your real hair) then braid the braided hair into the synthetic hair. It makes sure your hair is being pulled at...and keeps the hairline from dmininishing and reduces build up.

Oh and also...I moisturize the Growlonghair way which greatly reduces buildup.

Last edited:

glamazon386

Synthia said:

:lachen:

I'd say don't get the braids. But if you absolutely have to, don't get the micros or anything too small. I had small goddess braids and they tore my thin hair up. And they were bigger than micros. Make sure they're not braided too tight and pulling on your hair. I wear weaves all the time though and I've never suffered any damage from them.

Last edited:

vickid

DON'T DO IT! My hair was damaged and dry and I only kept them in for about a week. Wheny you have fine/thin hair, braids and weaves put too much tension on the scalp causing inflammation which later leads to alopecia!
Please don't do it!

redRiot said:
Yeah, braids have always made my hair thinner no matter how big they were.
I say no to braiding yourself or anyone else, either. Like someone else posted, braids thinned out my temples, and I have very abundant hair. Luckily, I got my full volume back, but definitely not if your hair is thin to begin with. I would try another style.

HighlyFavored1

my hair is fine/thin too. braids have been bad for my no matter what size i've gotten. i got semi-small cornrows in january, left them in for a week, and am still suffering from the breakage they caused in the front :ohwell:

you said that you can't find a good black stylist near your school...how long did you plan on leaving the braids in for? if you were going to leave them in for 2-3 months until you went back home, then maybe you should consider just stretching instead. how long do you normally stretch for? it could help you thicken your hair and force you to keep it more moisturized, too.

~Nigeria~

I don't know if I will be wearing braids again anytime soon. My hair is thin and when I take braids out I lose soooooo much hair when combing, washing, detangling... I know they say it's just shedding hair but I don't lose that much hair daily so I doubt it.

OneInAMillion

Not to hijack your thread BSweet, but I've wondered about this too. I've NEVER had braids, but I wanted to try this style for a week while I'm away. Can fine hair handle this style (for a week max)?

Attachments

• braid option.gif.jpg
    braid option.gif.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 4

kimmy132

I say go for it if you honestly think your hair will benefit. I too have thin fine hair and CAN NOT wear micros at all :nono: After two disasters with those things I finally learned my lesson. Nowadays, I like to wear corn rows in layers. This works out really well for my type of hair. I like to get them very long or should I say I used to... hold up I completely forgot how this last lady tried to murder me.This African lady twisted my scalp all up and then had the nerve to not want to do the front braids over ... okay i'm starting to get upset forget the braids girl. What was Ithinking?

Oh but in case you were wondering the cornrows I would get thickened my hair up nicely but would occasionally thin out my temple area. :D

LABETT

I think having a good braider makes the difference in how your hair will respond to braids.
I am lucky because my beautician does not braid tight and most of the times she does not even braid my hairline.
I know people with thick hair that has experienced damaged hair due to braids.

angellazette

Girl look at my fotki to see what micros did to my already thin edges....I just had to have em though! Now I'm trying to grow my edges back :ohwell:
Never again.

Shine-On

I say NO. Use your own experience with braids as a testimony to the potential damage. Fine hair is one thing but thin and fine? Double no-no IMO! I have fine hair and as much as I wish to wear the styles I see on other women, I have to be honest with myself and my hair type. Of course you can find a good braider who is into hair care and will have your best interest in mind while styling your hair but I believe she will be as hard to find as the good black stylist you are looking for.

Nightmares . . . All I keep thinking about are those little knots I see whenever I help friends remove their braids. :eek:

Mahalialee4

I am interested in Faith's suggestion to add hair to your own hair braid. My hair slips out of the braid at the first wash. Literally the braid (extension) ends up several inches down from my real hair, because of my hair is thick but very fine and silky. How do you fit the extension in Faith, from the surface or underneath when you braid the extension into the hair. I only want to do the back anyway? bonjour

Faith

Mahalialee4 said:
I am interested in Faith's suggestion to add hair to your own hair braid. My hair slips out of the braid at the first wash. Literally the braid (extension) ends up several inches down from my real hair, because of my hair is thick but very fine and silky. How do you fit the extension in Faith, from the surface or underneath when you braid the extension into the hair. I only want to do the back anyway? bonjour
Hey you :)

What I'm talking about is braiding the hair you have sectioned off...braid that without extension (just about 1" is good). Then add the extension to it. Not sure what you are asking ??

LiLi

Faith said:
Hey you :)

What I'm talking about is braiding the hair you have sectioned off...braid that without extension (just about 1" is good). Then add the extension to it. Not sure what you are asking ??

How to you add the extension in? I have Robin's video but I don't understand how you add the extension in after braiding 1" of your own hair without there being a hump where you would wrap it around???

Faith

LiLi said:
How to you add the extension in? I have Robin's video but I don't understand how you add the extension in after braiding 1" of your own hair without there being a hump where you would wrap it around???
Take the section (shouldn't be that thick since this is usually hairline hair). Braid about 1" down then attach fake hair. There won't be a bump since the hair is usually not a thick amount. Even a think/medium amount doesn't leave a bump.