Finding the perfect Moisturizer?

ginabuglol

If since I started my hair journey find the perfect moisturizer has been my biggest problem. I been using the long term relationship and it works fine but still like a day later I find my hair kind hard to the touch when a day or two days before after I wash my hair felt like butter.

Some of moisturizer I tried mango & olive oil butter by elastic qp.

What are some ways you guys go about finding the perfect moisturizer for your hair...Like what do you look for

My biggest problem is after I moisturize & seal I wake up in the morning with hard to the touch hair. I just have a feeling my hair isn't suppose to feel like that.

& is using natural products better when it comes to moisuturizer?

Happy Holidays

Evolving78

i had that problem with creams period. i had to switch to moisturizing sprays. creams would create a coating, so type of buildup and would leave my hair hard (crunchy). i wash my hair every few days as well too. i have since started using creams again, but i have to be very light-handed and to remove product after a few days.

the natural stuff i used made things worse for me. too heavy, or something in the product that would leave a waxy film.

it could be your hair not liking cones, or you just need something lighter.
what do you use to seal your hair with? that could be the issue too.

prettybyrd

What's your regimen right after you use LTR? How often are you shampooing or co-washing? Are you natural or relaxed? I only ask, because sometimes it's not the product that's the problem, it's the method. If we could know your exact regimen, maybe someone can shed some light on why this is happening to you.

To answer your question, I know that I have a good moisturizer when my hair is soft without being greasy. I credit the LOC method more than particular products, though.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
For me it was lots and lots of expirementing. I use a creamy one when my hair is straight (rarley) and a spray to rejuvinate it when its curly/wavy.
i find that i have more sucess with products when i try products i find on my own compared to board favorites!

I think your problem is your product. HHLTR leave in hasnt been good since they reformulated it.

when a moisturizer works well it should make your hair feel soft,not greasy or have residue when you touch your hair,the smell is neutral or pleasant without being cloying and it makes the look shiny and rejuvinated as if it was freshly washed.

How do you usually wear your hair?

KhandiB

After many trials and tribs I found that Motions Hair and Scalp Daily Moisturizing Hairdress works the best for me, Ive tried quite a few, like ORS Olive Oil was way to heavy, only using conditioners like Dove, Garnier didnt leave me with the moisture I like. Sometimes you have to go through a few frogs to get your prince unfortunately.

southerncitygirl

ginabuglol

you should moisturize and seal to really assess whether a product works for you. after using a cream layer it with an oil mixture of your liking. if you use 2-6 oils in your mix at least one should be high in ceramides. natural products work better in imo.

a good basic oil mix as an example could be:

evco

evoo

hemp/grapeseed/kukui/walnut/safflower/sunflower ( all these contain high or moderate amts of ceramides, pick any one)

castor

you only need a tiny bit unless you have very thick, dense or long hair. a dime to quarter sized amount would be fine longer thicker hair might need a tablespoon or two.

claudies revitalizer makes awesome creams and qhemet biologics does too. you also have to have a light hand when applying.... some products i use a dime to nickle sized amount sized amount while with others i use a quarter to silver dollar sized amount because it depends on the consistency.

here's a few creams i regularly use from claudies, she has 15-25% off sales every couple of months:
balancing ends insurance
quinoa coffee balancing
isha hair cream

i'm tagging a few folks to give to recs for natural creams:

IDareT'sHair
darlingdiva
Brittster
NappyNelle
Ash25
Lita
empressri
Eisani
BostonMaria
greenandchic

darlingdiva

OP, does the Long Term Relationship product that you use have silicones? Your hair may not like the silicones. Also, if you are using a product with silicones, when is the last time that you clarified your hair? You may have some build-up on your strands.

I also noticed that you tried using mango and olive oil butter by Elasta QP. Butters typically tend to sit on top of my hair. I get the best moisture by using creams. I recommend:

-Curl Prep's Sweet Buttah (it has a creamy consistency despite the "buttah" in the title)

-Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream

-Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion

Britt

I really like Darcy Botanicals transitioning creme. I'm relaxed, but it's not too heavy and it's quite softening.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Thanks for the tag southerncitygirl!

My favorite water based cream is Oyin's Whipped Pudding. I can use that on dry or damp hair with long lasting results.

My favorite oil based creams are Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream (I mainly use on damp hair), and Hairitage Hydrations Cooling Chamomile Whip, Avocado Cloud, and Mango Tango Cloud. The HH products work well on damp or dry hair for me, and provide a great sheen and scent to the hair.

With these products, my hair never feels hard unless I've mixed the cream with too much gel. I think you need a creamier, oil based moisturizer to really seal moisture into your hair. Also, these natural products last a loooong time since a little goes a long way; don't let the price deter you, because they can easily last for six months to a year. :giggle: I hope that helps!

Lita

I use-

Heritage-CocoAloe..She's having a sale now..Great prices/Fast shipping.Products in all sizes & a great assortment of moisturizing butters..

BASK-Topica Cream is nice..Really absorbs..

Bear Fruit-Desert Moisturizing Cream

Kyras-Mango moisture cream is excellent..She has samples you can try with fast shipping & great prices..

Pura-MuruMuru Moisture milk..Very creamy,nice scent..She has samples too..

Soultincals-Knot Sauce & Curl Cream are wonderful too..She has samples you can try..

Claudies,Donna Marie,Camaille Rose..Etc..

*All products above are water based..

I do use Moisturzing products that are not water based..Certain butters..but to start I think water based is good,then jump into moisturizing butters/creams..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I use Heritage CocoAloe..She's having a sale now..

BASK-Topica Cream is nice..Really absorbs..

Kyras-Mango moisture cream is excellent..She has samples you can try with fast shipping & great prices..

Lita Lord have mercy, she's always having a sale. I do like her Jar of Joe

spellinto

If since I started my hair journey find the perfect moisturizer has been my biggest problem. I been using the long term relationship and it works fine but still like a day later I find my hair kind hard to the touch when a day or two days before after I wash my hair felt like butter.

Some of moisturizer I tried mango & olive oil butter by elastic qp.

What are some ways you guys go about finding the perfect moisturizer for your hair...Like what do you look for

My biggest problem is after I moisturize & seal I wake up in the morning with hard to the touch hair. I just have a feeling my hair isn't suppose to feel like that.

& is using natural products better when it comes to moisuturizer?

Happy Holidays

LTR is a protein-based line! The LTR conditioner AND moisturizer both have protein in it, and your hair may be sensitive to that. Get rid of it if you keep getting these results, I had the same outcomes when I used both products. Also if the Elasta QP isn't working for you, it could be because it has mineral oil (petroleum/petrolatum/lanolin, etc.) in it. Find a moisturizer that doesn't have mineral oil and/or protein in it. I would suggest Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In, it is available at drugstores and a lot of people like it. It is my staple moisturizing leave in! :yep:

Last edited:

ginabuglol

I use LTR every other day and seal with either during summer coconut oil and winter olive oil, I'm relaxed I shampoo once a week.