Final relaxer tips!!

soslychic

Ok.......in a little while I'm getting my third (last 2 were underprocessed) and final relaxer home attempt. I am praying (almost) that this is gonna work and I would LUV any last minute advice that anyone has, but here is what I'm planning (my moms' doing it for me)

1. Prior- Take out braids, wash hair, protein conditioner, deep conditioner (also moisturizes), light leave in and oil, put hair back in one single very loose braid until touch up time. Do NOT massage, scratch, or handle scalp in any way. Be VERY gentle.

2. During relaxer- Make parts and base scalp with ors olive oil sheen spray and affirm gentle assurance (part several times until ALL of scalp is covered), put affirm gentle assurance on ears, hairline, and neck. (I'm relaxing my whole head, besides the underprocessed times, this is my first relaxer so I'm not worried about protecting old growth)

3. Put on PROTECTO (Using affirm relaxer)

4. Part hair in 4 sections. Begin in back bottom right. Apply relaxer with gloved fingers to outside only. In bottom left, apply relaxer to outside only, in top right, apply relaxer, and in left right apply relaxer. (5 minutes) Go back to first section and part into 3 seperate sections. Apply more cream in between and smooth with fingers and tail of rattail comb. Comb through a few times. Contine with each section (12 minutes, 3 minutes per section) Leave on for 5 minutes more continuing to smooth the first section if needed.

5. So by this time, the frist section has had 22 minutes of time. Rinse out first section completely and put on neutralizing shampoo. While shampoo is sitting, rinse out section section and apply shampoo (continue until hold head contains shampoo. Rinse all of head. Apply another round of shampoo and wait 3 minutes. Rinse again.

6. Shampoo with nexxus therappe.

7. towel dry a little and apply lekair all over and leave for 1 hour. Rinse out and towel dry.

8. Apply infusium, keracare leave in, and a few drops of oil. rollerset and sit under dryer until dry. Wrap and sit under dryer for 10 minutes more.

9. Now take down wrap and hope for the best!

Please critique. I seriously need help on the whole timing and rinsing thing. Am I doing this right? Can someone suggest a better method, maybe one not so complicated. Am I smoothing enough? Is there a better method of smoothing? How can I get all the hair straight with just 4 sections (is that parting in 3 in each section gonna get the job done). Sorry if this is confusing. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

UmSumayyah

let us know how it goes for you. I am planning on relaxing my hair tomorrow in two stages: front half first and then back half. I have already parted each half into several sections. I plan on putting a shower cap on the back half of my head while relaxing and rinsing the front half. If I do mess up and get a little wet, I'll just do the back half the next day, or maybe even next week.
[thread about this on another board: http://pub135.ezboard.com/frelaxhaircarefrm1.showMessage?topicID=1985.topic]
I am doing it this way because I have alot of new growth and underprocessed hair to address ( 2 inches of underprocessed hair plus about 14 weeks of new growth). I want to be sure that I have enough time to apply and smooth, and this way I think I can get away with smoothing as I go instead of applying it to all sections and then going back over to smooth.

I think your plan sounds pretty good. Here is a whole thread on another board: http://pub135.ezboard.com/frelaxhaircarefrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=969.topic&start=61&stop=80 this is one page of the thread, you should read the next page for sure and perhaps the whole page, there are some good suggestions.

HTH!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
[ QUOTE ]
let us know how it goes for you. I am planning on relaxing my hair tomorrow in two stages: front half first and then back half. I have already parted each half into several sections. I plan on putting a shower cap on the back half of my head while relaxing and rinsing the front half. If I do mess up and get a little wet, I'll just do the back half the next day, or maybe even next week.
HTH!

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first started texturizing, I did the shower cap thing except I did left and right sides. It was very easy to do it that way because I just stuck half of my head under the tub faucet. I got in the shower to do the other half. It worked well for me.

soslychic, nobody can tell you if you're smoothing enough. Everybody is different, as you know. Do a strand test and that will tell you what you need to know. I don't think I'd apply a relaxer in the method you're describing. Steps 4/5, especially 5, concern me.