Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Joigirl

Doing my hair at night is just not worth the trouble. It never looks the way I want it to the next morning regardless of the gel I use. I need to come up with a better plan.

Maybe we can help you. What is your nighttime routine when you WNG?

tapioca_pudding

Shingled my product through this morning (Dark and Lovely moisturizing souffle) with no gel on top, just the product. Curls are POPPIN but shrinkage is abundant. :wallbash: Back to the drawing board.. or maybe I just need to be patient and wait for my hair to grow lol.

Karmi

Washed out my rollersets this morning. Uggghh!!! I couldn't do anything with my hair. I HATE the in between stage! Lord help not relax :(

pattyr5

Maybe we can help you. What is your nighttime routine when you WNG?

I don't do anything special. I have tried doing a pineapple or a low bun/ponytail with similar results. I always use satin cap and pillowcases to avoid friction. Nothing preserves the look I want. I believe my hair is spongy and it drinks up everything put in it. So even if I have a super hard , crunchy curl, by the morning it's like I never used any gel at all. My hair reverts to being puffy, frizzed out and minimal curl clumping.

I think it's more a matter of accepting that this is the way my hair is. The strands are very fine and don't want to clump together as is. My roots are straight or wavy for about an inch or two then form an S pattern until the ends which then coil up. On the first day, with the right gel I love my hair. Then following day.....it's got to go in a puff.

Attachments

• image-864255456.jpg
    image-864255456.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 59

Joigirl

Thanks Pattyr. Sounds like you've tried it all. I know it's frustrating not being able to stretch your styles. I'm a lazy natural so I don't like to style more than once a week.

The Curly Girl method helps me to retain moisture and definition, but I know it doesn't work for everyone.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Why can't my gel wash n goes look like Joigirl or whiteoleander91?!?!?:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Look at this hot mess

It looks like I have 2 strands of hair!

I used as i am leave in and crystal eco styler gel. I want to give up on gel again but if i can even get 2 or 3rd day hair i will be happy.

BillsBackerz67

Why can't my gel wash n goes look like Joigirl or whiteoleander91?!?!?:cry2::cry2::cry2: Look at this hot mess It looks like I have 2 strands of hair! I used as i am leave in and crystal eco styler gel. I want to give up on gel again but if i can even get 2 or 3rd day hair i will be happy.

Napp

Try jewejewebee method from YouTube: http://youtu.be/Q_-kVBuMJBg She just posted a wng video of how she applied eco styler gel and gets a very beautiful defined WNG. I love her results and I think you will too.

I won't be using her method for awhile because I do not have the length long enough to pull off a very perfectly defined wash n go with out it looking like I have a Jheri curl. my hair is way too short for that perfect ringlet look :lol:

Maybe it will help you though! From the looks of the pic you provided it seems like you're either skipping over parts of your hair, not leaving enough water in, or applying it in a way where all the strands stick together. Or I could be wrong altogether but that is exactly how my hair looks if I do one or all of the things I mentioned. I hope her tutorial helps :yep:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Why can't my gel wash n goes look like Joigirl or whiteoleander91?!?!?:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Look at this hot mess

It looks like I have 2 strands of hair!

I used as i am leave in and crystal eco styler gel. I want to give up on gel again but if i can even get 2 or 3rd day hair i will be happy.

aw!! you have beautiful hair! how are you applying the gel? and do you use a brush or just your hands to smooth the gel on your hair? your hair reminds me a little of how my hair looks if I use a denman brush to smooth gel through, except it kinda looks like you may have only used a brush on your ends? walk us through your wash and go method, and maybe we can help you out :yep:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
aw!! you have beautiful hair! how are you applying the gel? and do you use a brush or just your hands to smooth the gel on your hair? your hair reminds me a little of how my hair looks if I use a denman brush to smooth gel through, except it kinda looks like you may have only used a brush on your ends? walk us through your wash and go method, and maybe we can help you out :yep:

First i cowash my hair. Then i squeeze out the water and put my hair into 4 bantu knots. Then working from the back i apply leave in conditioner to each section. After i apply alot of gel in large sections smoothing it in only. Since my hair curls weird with gel (ramen noodle effect) i finger coil the ends.

I just tried jujubees technique and i hate the results. I looks like i belong on a bottle of soul glo. I might need to modify it for my curl size and texture. I do like the movement my hair has though.i will post pics in the morning.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Ok so i modified the method a bit i raked my hair and then shook out the curls. I also did not brush the roots for max volume. I think it looks way better. A little jerrycurly-ish but good none the less. Lets see how long this lasts.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Ok so i modified the method a bit i raked my hair and then shook out the curls. I also did not brush the roots for max volume. I think it looks way better. A little jerrycurly-ish but good none the less. Lets see how long this lasts.

Eco styler does not work on my hair unless I dilute it with water. It's just wayyyyyy too thick and makes my hair hard. For me, I get the best wng with a gel that is water based. So I use my homemade flaxseed gel or Botanicals Gelle. Bontanicals gelle is AMAZING. It gives a slight hold but you wont get that hard feeling from the eco styler. But if you still prefer the eco styler, try diluting it. My ratio is: 1/2 eco to 1 cup water. Mix it together and the consistency should look like a watery pudding (if that makes sense).

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

Wow That looks fantastic! It will only look better as it gets older!
And shaking out the hair def helps the roots not stick to the head and give the helmet look. I usually bend over every now and again while I'm styling my WNG to help volume. I've ever brushed the roots.

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

Eco styler does not work on my hair unless I dilute it with water. It's just wayyyyyy too thick and makes my hair hard. For me, I get the best wng with a gel that is water based. So I use my homemade flaxseed gel or Botanicals Gelle. Bontanicals gelle is AMAZING. It gives a slight hold but you wont get that hard feeling from the eco styler. But if you still prefer the eco styler, try diluting it. My ratio is: 1/2 eco to 1 cup water. Mix it together and the consistency should look like a watery pudding (if that makes sense).

I'm not an eco styler gel fan either. I like watery gels.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I used ecostyler Friday Saturday and Sunday and concluded I didn't really like it. I felt it was too heavy for my hair. I will probably only use it for slicked back styles. I may add water to it like pelohello suggested. I think my perfect gel so far is curls botanical gel goddess curls. I used goddess curls today and it came out great.

Attachments

• image-2032976930.jpg
    image-2032976930.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1972582551.jpg
    image-1972582551.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I'm also no longer really using either of my brushes (denman and widu) to distribute products through my hair. I'm using my wide tooth comb section by section to distribute products then run my fingers down the length alternating hands a few times, when I get to ends I shake the ends. I've gotten great clumps doing this.

Karmi

^^^ Do you put anything under the Eco styler? I had to really play with it to get the right hold but not stiffness. I start with soaking hair and put a detangler like kkkt or SM then seal with oil then Eco.

But like you said I think the botanical gels offer better definition and soft hair. I just like Eco because I can get 5 days out of it if I really wanted to and it's really cheap.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
^^^ Do you put anything under the Eco styler? I had to really play with it to get the right hold but not stiffness. I start with soaking hair and put a detangler like kkkt or SM then seal with oil then Eco. But like you said I think the botanical gels offer better definition and soft hair. I just like Eco because I can get 5 days out of it if I really wanted to and it's really cheap.
I used beautiful textures curling butter(that might be the wrong name) the two products blended well together. It just felt like I was gobbing all that on and still wasn't able to get multiple day hair. For now I will stick with the botanical gel. I don't have to layer products with it. I really can't do multiple day hair with my current workout / swim schedule any way. I'm into using stylers that can work by themselves and I get that botanical gel.

tapioca_pudding

So in today's edition of "Trial and Error Ish"... :lol:

I cowashed with Garnier 3 Minute Undo (this stuff is AH.MAZE.ING. Hair is like BUTTA.) in the shower, shook my head a little to kill the excess water. Then I took small sections and smoothed Giovanni Direct Leave In throughout my head. I used a little Eco clear on my edges (still waiting for my Ampro Argan gel to arrive, blah) to smooth them and kinda lay the front of my hair down. As it dried I got hella height/volume lol. This is the best one yet. :yep: I also realized I have to stop touching my hair as it's drying to avoid frizz.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
pelohello what botanical gel are you talking about? Can you possibly provide a picture?

I wanted a more stretched out look so i did the streching method jewjewbee did for like 5 minutes and it made my hair look so much more awesome. I usualy dont like big hair but I am really feeling this look! My hair also feels very touchable!

ajargon02

I am in ohio and the winter is in full effect.
How are you all doing your wng without leaving the house with wet hair? I don't have a diffuser.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I am in ohio and the winter is in full effect.
How are you all doing your wng without leaving the house with wet hair? I don't have a diffuser.

ajargon02 i have been wash n going at night and sleeping pretty:look: also my hair dries pretty fast when i use gel so i airdry a few hours before i go to sleep and then sit under my hooded dryer to make sure the roots are fully dry before i manipulate anything.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I am in ohio and the winter is in full effect. How are you all doing your wng without leaving the house with wet hair? I don't have a diffuser.
I live in GA it's not that cold yet. I don't diffuse or sit under dyer because I prefer to airdry. My hair is never dripping wet when I leave in morning and it's generally dry by lunchtime. My car is parked in my garage at my house and when I get to work I park in front row not far from door. We did have a couple of days of cold weather and it didn't have an affect on me.

Guinan

Re-Branding
@pelohello what botanical gel are you talking about? Can you possibly provide a picture?

I wanted a more stretched out look so i did the streching method jewjewbee did for like 5 minutes and it made my hair look so much more awesome. I usualy dont like big hair but I am really feeling this look! My hair also feels very touchable!

This stuff is AMAZING!! It's just too darn expensive. I used up half the bottle with my last Wng but my hair lasted a week and could've lasted longer. I have about 3oz left. I plan on diluting it for my twistout. The next thing I want to try is the Kinky Curly custard.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I used ecostyler Friday Saturday and Sunday and concluded I didn't really like it. I felt it was too heavy for my hair. I will probably only use it for slicked back styles. I may add water to it like @pelohello suggested. I think my perfect gel so far is curls botanical gel goddess curls. I used goddess curls today and it came out great.

How do you make your botanical gel last? I really like it but the price to just too much.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
pelohello what botanical gel are you talking about? Can you possibly provide a picture?

Napp your hair looks awesome!!

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I finally got around to using my Kinky Curly Curling Custard! lol

Crappy pics. Feeling sorta sickish, so I've been chilling in bed today.

I love the way the gel smells. Kinda marshmallow-y. It's just a little bit crispy, but I think after sleeping on it tonight, it will be soft in the morning.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
How do you make your botanical gel last? I really like it but the price to just too much.
. I put water (not a lot maybe an inch) in the bottle once it gets pretty low key sit over night and it end up with more gel. I also my a habit of buying a bottle just about every time I go to Walmart so I don't run out. I think I'm pretty much done with experimenting with products so I'm fine the price of this if this is all I'm buying along with my Aussie moist.