Experts! Is Mason Pearson really worth it?

Christelyn

Okay, so I'm thinking about purchasing a MP brush or comb because my hair tangles so easily and leads to breakage. Are the MP brushes and/or combs worth the price, and if so, which would you recommend for 4a hair?

Input much appreciated!

JustKiya

I have three MP combs, and I love them dearly. I purchased them because I wanted a full set of completely seamless combs that were also water-safe. I started out with a bone comb, and it got flakes and etc. on it. The shower combs are not seam free (at least none of the ones I've looked at, including the Jilbere), so I took the MP leap.
I have the wide tooth (I think they call it a rake), the detangler (smaller with a handle) and the rattail comb. I think I paid about 80 bucks for all three on eBay, and I think they are worth it.

msdevo

I have the same 3 combs as JK, didnt pay quite as much though. I love the rake, I just wish that the teeth on the detangler were a bit wider

loveable37

I order the DETANGLE COMB called the rake its wide with about 8-10 teeth in it and it didnt last me a month if u drop the comb its goons break.
My son used mines and his hair broke a couple teeth out it costed me 25.00 dollars the seam were to sharp on the lenght of the comb it still can cut ur hair.I rather use a comb with SMOOTH EDGES does me wonder its how u conb ur hair.

CenteredGirl

I love my MP's. I have a detangler and a rat tail. I don't comb my hair with the rat tail just use the handle to part and detangle hair. Well crafted quality products IMHO.

JustKiya

I order the DETANGLE COMB called the rake its wide with about 8-10 teeth in it and it didnt last me a month if u drop the comb its goons break.
My son used mines and his hair broke a couple teeth out it costed me 25.00 dollars the seam were to sharp on the lenght of the comb it still can cut ur hair.I rather use a comb with SMOOTH EDGES does me wonder its how u conb ur hair.

:ohwell: Are you sure we are talking about the same products? MP's are made of one solid piece of resin - no seams - and I've dropped mines more times than I can count in the shower and never had it break. And the rake has a heck of a lot more than 10 tines. :lol:

I've never been interested in the brush, as I don't have a need for a brush for my hair.

Butterfly08

I have several MP combs and love them. I considered a brush but they are too pricey for me right now, considering everything else I want. :lachen:They are completely seamless. You do want to be careful if you have thick tangled hair (especially with the thinner combs) - I broke a rattail on my daughter's 4z hair before it was relaxed. :ohwell:

Christelyn

:ohwell: Are you sure we are talking about the same products? MP's are made of one solid piece of resin - no seams - and I've dropped mines more times than I can count in the shower and never had it break. And the rake has a heck of a lot more than 10 tines. :lol:

I've never been interested in the brush, as I don't have a need for a brush for my hair.

JustKiya, I was hoping you'd chime in on this topic! I remember you mentioning something about them before. Now here's a question: Do you think it slows, prevents or otherwise deters split ends and breakage?

MuslimahTresses

I have the MP Rake Comb and Ilove it. It's worth the price to because it really is seamless and it doesn't get all messed up from using it in the shower like those other ones I've tried.

JustKiya

JustKiya, I was hoping you'd chime in on this topic! I remember you mentioning something about them before. Now here's a question: Do you think it slows, prevents or otherwise deters split ends and breakage?

I think that using seamless products on your hair reduces the mechanical damage done to your hair, and since mechanical damage is one of the causes of split ends and breakage, I think that consistently using seam free products will, over time, improve the overall health of your hair. Those tiny seams on combs can act like fine razors, scraping and scratching microscopic bits of cuticle off of my hair - and since I want my hair to manage to be 11 years old and still looking good, I really can't afford any cuticle loss! :lol:

Can I say, for certain, that since I've used this stuff I'm seeing less breakage and splits? Yeah, I can, but I've also changed a lot of other stuff in the period I've been using them, so they can't get all the credit. Do I think I would be seeing more breakage/splits than I'm seeing now if I wasn't using them? Yeah, I do, which is why I shelled out the loot, but I've got no proof, ya know?

LiLi

I love love love my Mason Pearson combs. :grin: I am actually thinking about getting the brush. I brushed my hair with the Goody jojoba brush the other day and it looked sooo fluffy!! So it made me consider looking in to the MP brushes. Also, ladies if your comb breaks, contact MP and I'm certain they will replace it (as long as you purchased it from a dealer). Remember, there are fakes out there so be careful where you purchase them from.

Elis829

I have the Mason Pearson Popular (boar/nylon) brush and I love it. I feel it doesn't pull my hair out. I have cleaned this brush many times, it has held up great. I have one comb, and I love it, too.

JustKiya

The combs are definitely the business. I can't speak on the brushes from personal experience, but I've heard nothing but good about them. :yep:

luckiestdestiny

I think that using seamless products on your hair reduces the mechanical damage done to your hair, and since mechanical damage is one of the causes of split ends and breakage, I think that consistently using seam free products will, over time, improve the overall health of your hair. Those tiny seams on combs can act like fine razors, scraping and scratching microscopic bits of cuticle off of my hair - and since I want my hair to manage to be 11 years old and still looking good, I really can't afford any cuticle loss! :lol:

Can I say, for certain, that since I've used this stuff I'm seeing less breakage and splits? Yeah, I can, but I've also changed a lot of other stuff in the period I've been using them, so they can't get all the credit. Do I think I would be seeing more breakage/splits than I'm seeing now if I wasn't using them? Yeah, I do, which is why I shelled out the loot, but I've got no proof, ya know?
Interesting. I have a seamless comb but it's just generic. Is there any reason why this one is so much better? Does it hold up better than other combs...detangle better?

JustKiya

Interesting. I have a seamless comb but it's just generic. Is there any reason why this one is so much better? Does it hold up better than other combs...detangle better?

I think as long as it's truly seamless (not smooth seams, but none) it's okay. :yep:
I was never able to find a truly seamless generic plastic comb - the molding process insures seaming, usually. I had a bone comb for a while that was seamless, but it didn't handle being wet well, at all, so I had to ditch it.

I don't think it detangles better, really - it detangles really well, but I can't say it's more impressive than a regular (even seamed) comb. They are supposed to be close to indestructible, and they are pretty. :infatuated: :lol: