Mason Pearson Brush! Which One?

Enyo

I'm upgrading all my products and tools and would really like a Mason Pearson brush. Because of my excessive medication-related shedding I need to moisturize and brush daily to prevent dreading. I'm looking at this nice little chart, but I can't decide which brush I should get. Technically my hair is fine, but it is also natural. Should I get a brush for fine hair or get one for medium hair? I know these categories are made for non-Black hair so I'm lost about which one fits me.

Thanks!

Bene

I have a love/hate relationship with Mason Pearson brushes. Like, they're absolutely beautiful and they're a solid name. Good reputation. The Cadillac of hairbrushes. The problem is that I'd never use it. I have a boar bristle brush that is sitting in the drawer all neglected :sad: so I can't justify actually buying a Mason Pearson.

winona

i have the same question. I was thinking I could use the nylon one for getting shed hair out and boar/nylon one for smoothing back my bun when I where my hair loose.

Enyo

I have a love/hate relationship with Mason Pearson brushes. Like, they're absolutely beautiful and they're a solid name. Good reputation. The Cadillac of hairbrushes. The problem is that I'd never use it. I have a boar bristle brush that is sitting in the drawer all neglected :sad: so I can't justify actually buying a Mason Pearson.

Um, so sell it to me. Gimmie the heathen discount.

i have the same question. I was thinking I could use the nylon one for getting shed hair out and boar/nylon one for smoothing back my bun when I where my hair loose.

Yes, I need one for the shedding too. I have a smoothing brush that works OK though.

Last edited:

Bene

Um, so sell it to me. Gimmie the heathen discount.

:lol:

I keep it around, just in case I do decide to use it. On rare occasions when my hair is extra oily, I may give it a shot to move the oil down the shaft. Also, it tends to gather lint. You don't want my oily/linty brush :nono:

Enyo

I keep it around, just in case I do decide to use it. On rare occasions when my hair is extra oily, I may give it a shot to move the oil down the shaft. Also, it tends to gather lint. You don't want my oily/linty brush :nono:

Oh, well. You can't blame me for trying. I know your hair is considerably straighter than mine, but which brush do you have?

Bene

Oh, well. You can't blame me for trying. I know your hair is considerably straighter than mine, but which brush do you have?

It's a Scunci, boar and nylon bristle mix. I picked it because the boar bristle is supposed to help move oil down the shaft and the nylon is stiff enough to actually get through the hair. I think the Mason Pearson site has a thingy that explains what kinds of brushes to use depending on the hair type.

Enyo

It's a Scunci, boar and nylon bristle mix. I picked it because the boar bristle is supposed to help move oil down the shaft and the nylon is stiff enough to actually get through the hair. I think the Mason Pearson site has a thingy that explains what kinds of brushes to use depending on the hair type.

They do, but it's for straight people types. Like I was saying in my first thread, my hair is fine, but it's not like a White person's fine. My strands are thin, but my hair is nappy. So I'm not sure if I should go for the medium brush to cover the fact that my hair is fine, but tightly coiled.

afrikurl

Never tried one but do a search you may find old recommendations. I would go by your texture as opposed to the thickness of your strands.

Enyo

I searched, but people didn't really talk about how they selected their brushes. They just said which ones they had. I just wrote MP with my issue, so hopefully they will write be back. But I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to texture being the smarter choice.

Last edited:

fluffyforever

I bought a couple of those brushes off of folica. They scared me (being so rough).. I returned them promptly.

If you can, try to find someone who sells or has one, and feel them out first. I hate losing out on shipping.

Enyo

I wrote MP directly, and they suggested that people with my hair type get a mixed brush. I ordered the smallest one possible and will review once I've used it a few times.

Enyo

Mason Pearson Review

I ended up getting the pocket brush that’s a board/nylon mix. My first impression is that the brush isn’t as heavy as I thought it’d be and the bristles seemed a little soft and weak for what I paid. I know it’s a very small brush and made for shorter hair, but that was my initial impression.

My hair was very dirty when I first tried it. It was loaded with products and my Vatika pre-poo. The little brush managed to get down to the scalp without much effort. I have to say that it feels AMAZING on the scalp. I can see myself just brushing my hair over and over just for the sensation. It was like a scalp massage and I can still feel the affects up to an hour after I brush.

It still gave me fly-aways which I was disappointed about, but I quickly found that I need to run my hand behind the brush, and that really helped my hair smooth out. After about 5 minutes of brushing my hair looked as if I had gotten a blowout. I was able to give myself two braids easily and without having to use a do-rag to hold down the poof around the crown. Not much hair was pulled out which is impressive for the amount of brushing I did.

I tried the brush again with clean hair and got the same results. The scalp stimulation is really addictive. I was really concerned because I didn’t want to break or thin my hair, but it only got smoother as I went along. I lost a normal amount of hair on the initial brushing, but no more after that. So I’m going to start pulling a Marcia Brady and brush my hair nightly and admire myself. It really feels good. And my hair stays detangled until I wash it or completely redo it. With my old brush, my hair would get tangled even a protective style (dunno how). But if I use my MP to put my hair up, it’s still smooth and tangle free when I take it down. So, I plan to keep this mini brush for my purse and upgrade to the larger size to keep in my bathroom. I know it’s an insane amount for a brush, but it’s really worth it. These are probably the last brushes I’ll ever buy provided one doesn’t go missing.

I also got the MP “Rake” which I love and will keep forever. It just glides through my hair whether it’s wet or dry.

Last edited: