EX- WEAVE USERS NOW WEARING THEIR OWN HAIR

grow

HI LADIES, I CONITUALLY WORE WEAVES FOR MANY YEARS (OVER 10) AND HAVE NOW DECIDED TO NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

I WANT TO WEAR THE HAIR GOD GAVE ME AND BE PROUD OF IT, THOUGH IT'S TOUGH DEALING WITH MY HAIR, GIVEN THE EXTREME LENGTHS AND HUGE VOLUME MY WEAVES GAVE ME.

IT'S ALSO TOUGH TO LEARN HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MY HAIR AFTER HAVING HAD NO CONTACT WITH IT FOR OVER A DECADE.

ARE THERE OTHERS WHO HAVE STOPPED USING WEAVES?

IF SO, HOW HAVE YOU LEARNED TO COMPENSATE FOR THE DIFFERENCES?

WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS YOU HAVE FOR EX-WEAVE USERS?

ARE THERE ANY "CURES" FOR THOSE HARD TO GROW BROKEN AREAS?

(I.E. I HAVE AN EDGE AT MY TEMPLE ON THE SIDE WHICH HAS BEEN ONLY 3 INCHES FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS AND WITH THE GROWTH I'VE LEARNED TO OBTAIN HERE ON THIS FORUM (THE REST OF MY HAIR IS SHOULDER LENGTH), IT REALLY STANDS OUT LIKE AN ALMOST BALD PATCH:perplexed.....IS THERE ANY HELP OR HOPE FOR THAT EDGE???)

Just be patient. I wore LF's for years and 2010 is my all about me. I thought it would be an extreme transition for me so last year on weekends I always took the LF's off and rocked my own hair. By the end of the first weekend, I was ready. As for the temple area, try some JBCO and baby that area. Ask your dermatologist to investigate that area for you to see if the scalp is damaged. HTH. Many women faced this so I'm sure others will chime in soon.

a HUGE THANK YOU TO YOU, ANITATELENGTHS!!!!:king:

this is the first time i started a thread & since i just joined lhcf last week, i was starting to feel like the ONLY ONE with this problem!:cry:

now, at least i know one other person has made this type of change successfully! ( and like you said, hopefully others have and will be willing to share their experience!)

YOUR HAIR IS AWESOME!!! that is really encouraging to see that our hair can actually grow, once we stop damaging it with the weaves! but lf....what's that? a type of weave?

i really appreciate the jco suggestion! THANK YOU!

Hey Ladies, i've been struggling with this idea for a long while now, I recently ( 2days ago) took my install down & I'm thinking of wearing my hair for a while!! Well I've been watching a lot of youtube hair tutorials on no heat styling & thinking of a method which will help me retain my length best as possible. Check out some of that stuff & just continue to do as much research as you can on products(as I see you have no sls) & styles which may continue to help you on your journey....

I hope this helps you...if I can help anymore let me know...
Happy Hair Growing...

:grin:Thank You, J-Moe!

you brought up a HUGE point!!!:grin:

after i took out my weave (i don't know a thing about the "install" method...maybe it's the same as what i had...?....which was a cornrow around my head, to which the band of my weave was sewn in with a needle and heavy thread....ouch!), i had gone back to relaxers BUT i had always used heat!

i have been without heat for only about 2 months now, hoping that it will help me to RETAIN length, but all i've done so far is wrap it to get it straight and flat, and every once and a while, a "hard plastic" roller set.

i will check on youtube for these other ideas, so thanks, again!!!:grin:

Hello Grow....

I would not call myself an ex-weave user but I definitely scaled back. I rock them probably when I know I do no want to be bothered with my hair. I just wanted to chime in and say it takes some getting used to. I do find it very freeing to embrace who you are the real you. It is an excellent feeling.

After I BCed I freaked out and put a weave in. I then wore weaves for a year and then braids for a couple of years. I met my DH while in braids and I was worried about what he would say when he saw my hair but the first thing he said was he preferred my hair because I wouldn't be leaving braids behind(they needed to be done) and that made it a little better. It was hard to all of a sudden to have to deal with all this natural hair but I fell in love with wash and goes and that helped a lot.

I'm part of that group!! It will be interesting to see what others have to say. Weave was a good protective style just my edges have suffered, so I switched up to tracks as it grew longer n I felt more comfortable with my length. But right now I'm jus trying to do my own hair. My tips for fellow ex-weaver/ weavers keep ur plaited hair moisturized, it really helps n trim those dead ends. :D

I am an ex weave wearer, but I still have not fully transitioned to wearing all my own hair out. My hair is very thin possibly from weaving and definitely there is some genetic thinning going on. I wear many protective styles though- mostly half wigs and french braids. Still hoping for the day that my hair will be thick enough to rock all in its own glory. If that day never comes, welp at least I am really creative with protective styles, and no matter what my hair is much healthier than when I was wearing weaves. I hope I have been a small help:lachen:- probably not. Also check out my fotki, you can see what my hair looked like when I first came out of the weave till now plus lots of protective styles. Fotki and password are in my profile for any albums that are locked. Hth.

I'm not there yet.

I'm not there at all. I still rely heavily on weaves as my protective style. They've never let me down and I've retained ALL my growth with them. It was when I started messing around with other protective styles gave me a huge setback.

Weaves keep my hands out of my hair.

But what in the deuces am I going to do when my hair reaches APL? I'm thinking about swearing off weaves for good at that point...

I still wear weaves just not sew ins , I am like selfstyled, my hair is really thin and I think its mostly genetics but I wear halfwigs, lacewigs and buns. If I wear my real hair then it's in a banana clip or I have to have 2 tracks added in the front for a decent look. Hopefully I can find a solution to getting some thick hair so I can feel comfortable wearing my real hair down with no tracks added.

Sonya I agree, I don't know what I am gonna do when I get APL in a few months, I want thicker hair to celebrate my goal like I want...lol

Ex-Weave wearer checking in!! It has been 7 months since my "Big Reveal". I was seriously addicted to wearing fake hair, weaves or wigs you name it. I have a 6 year old daughter and the day she asked to wear my wig to school so she could be pretty, that was basically it for me!!!! And I have never looked back! I don't have long thick beautiful hair but the hair that I do have is all mine.

I too have issues with thinning edges as a result of over 15 years of unhealthy hair practices through use of fake hair.

Last year, I focused on growing those edges back through use of Castor Oil and it has been a God sent. It has been a slow process but I have seen super improvements.

Be encouraged in your decision to grow your own hair because honestly you will be so glad that you did.

I havent worn much weaves but I wanted to say you should add extra moisturizer and conditioner to the broken area. My left side was broken off for years and it's finally growing back because I've been babying it.

Go to www.fotki.com/sistaslick and read all of her hair articles. It will tell you everything you need to know for your journey.

I plan to completely stop using them in June (probably only use it if I want a straight/short style for a month or to add a couple tracks for highlights, but that's the most I'll go). I think I should reach my ultimate goal of WL by then. Also, I think it's time for me to take an indefinite break because I believe that extended use over a long period of time will result in thinning.

I don't really have any tips for transitioning out of them, but I will say that you have to mentally process some things first. I started transitioning my mind when I found the hair boards. You have to come to a point where you believe that you and your hair can be even more beautiful without weaves. I remember a lonnnng time ago, I felt that I wasn't as attractive or put together if I didn't wear one. As a matter of fact, I felt that way whenever my newgrowth started coming through too. lol Years later, now I'm natural, and in love with my hair. Boy! Have I grown or what?! lol Weaves are no longer a necessity, and it's just an accessory.

Once I started on my healthy hair journey and realized it was possible for ME to have long, healthy hair, I knew there would be a day when I'd be more than happy to stop wearing weaves. This is coming from someone that has been wearing them on and off ever since I was about 12. It was like an addiction almost. I'm sure it still is to some women. I only started taking care of my real hair a couple years ago, after I realized that with care, weaves did help me retain healthy hair.

Whenever I take down my install, I wear my hair in buns mostly since I hate straightening my hair. I plan on continue doing that, and probably straightening twice a year.

Last edited:
After I reach healthy BSL (unstretched natural hair) I will let go of my installs and wigs. That being said.. I have about a 3 year journey ahead.:cantlook:

I did not use weaves as my signature style before my BC, so I will return to my non-usage after I have reached my goals.

just checking in to THANK ALL THE LADIES WHO HAVE RESPONDED THUSFAR!!!

it's going to take me a while to apply all of the advice, make dermatologist appointments and read all of the material....btw, speaking of material to read....a HUGE THANK YOU TO LOCABOUTHAIR!!! that link you listed is INCREDIBLE!!! it's like reading a thesis on good hair care and i will definitely be devouring it...bit by bit!!!

already starting with the "faux bob"! never knew about that great protective style!!!
..though i've seen pictures of Michelle Obama wearing it...her hair always looks gr8!!!

for those with thin hair (mine is partly because of my Mom's side, though i'm sure the weavs did not help) there is a link on here just for us! it's found on the same page as this link, so check it out...it might help us.

HHG!!!

Well, I did not wear weaves often but I wore braids and wigs for about 10 years and it has been a challenge to not wear them the last two years. But I am happy that I have been wearing and growing my own hair. My hair line was thin and a little further back then it should have been. What help my hair line to fill in and to begin where it should was not wearing braids anymore and just keeping my hair line from being pulled to tight. When I get fustrated with my hair the first thing I want to do is throw on a wig, but since I threw all of them away I have to deal with my own hair and do styles that complement my hair. Youtube is one of the best places to get a new hairstyle. I got the idea for my sig picture because of that website.

Youtube is one of the best places to get a new hairstyle.
I got the idea for my sig picture because of that website.

hi Bruceettye!
you are the second (at least) person who has mentioned how useful youtube can be, so i'm checking it out some more today! (it takes alot time with all of the sifting, though....:spinning:)

btw, your updo is very pretty! great pic!:grin:

p.s. applied some castor oil to damaged hairlines&massaged my scalp (especially hairline) for about 30 minutes last nite!:yep:

yes, this will take LOTS of patience and practice....but it's worth it!:grin:

learning to love our own hair is definitely a JOURNEY!

HI LADIES, I CONITUALLY WORE WEAVES FOR MANY YEARS (OVER 10) AND HAVE NOW DECIDED TO NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

I WANT TO WEAR THE HAIR GOD GAVE ME AND BE PROUD OF IT, THOUGH IT'S TOUGH DEALING WITH MY HAIR, GIVEN THE EXTREME LENGTHS AND HUGE VOLUME MY WEAVES GAVE ME.

IT'S ALSO TOUGH TO LEARN HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MY HAIR AFTER HAVING HAD NO CONTACT WITH IT FOR OVER A DECADE.

ARE THERE OTHERS WHO HAVE STOPPED USING WEAVES?

IF SO, HOW HAVE YOU LEARNED TO COMPENSATE FOR THE DIFFERENCES?

WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS YOU HAVE FOR EX-WEAVE USERS?

ARE THERE ANY "CURES" FOR THOSE HARD TO GROW BROKEN AREAS?

(I.E. I HAVE AN EDGE AT MY TEMPLE ON THE SIDE WHICH HAS BEEN ONLY 3 INCHES FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS AND WITH THE GROWTH I'VE LEARNED TO OBTAIN HERE ON THIS FORUM (THE REST OF MY HAIR IS SHOULDER LENGTH), IT REALLY STANDS OUT LIKE AN ALMOST BALD PATCH:perplexed.....IS THERE ANY HELP OR HOPE FOR THAT EDGE???)

I just stopped wearing weaves 2 weeks ago after wearing them for 2 1/2 years straight this time (I've been wearing weaves off and on for the past 15 years). I am still learning how to adjust to wearing my natural hair and, trust me, every day has been a struggle.

The most important tips I have for ex-weave users is 1) Do NOT put any chemicals in your hair! Your hair is the strongest in its natural state. If you do put chemicals in your hair then, eventually, you will not achieve the look you want and your hair will become weak (and eventually fall out) and you will end up putting the weave back in anyway.

2) Do as much research on the natural hair style you want BEFORE you take your weave out. This will make the transition smoother and your hair will still be looking nice. However, if you're like me and did the research after you took your weave out, then learn to be creative with your hairstyles and "wing it" until you can get it together - FAST!

As far as any cures for hard to grow areas, I can't think of any other than to avoid chemicals/heat and give it lots of hair treatments. But then again, most people get weaves to grow out these areas and to give their hair a rest so maybe you should put your weave back in (or wear a hair piece)?

Regarding your edge, I had a small area of my left side that wouldn't grow back for years! It finally grew back though once I was diagnosed with my thyroid condition and started taking medicine for it.

Yup, I am an ex-weave wearer. I haven't worn a weave since September 2006. I wanted my own, growing out of my scalp BSL and beyond hair and that's what I got. I never tried to compensate for the differences between the weaves and my hair. I just stopped wearing them cold turkey because I wanted to learn how to care for and grow my own hair long. The very day I took my last weave out I was online searching for how to grow my hair long.

My tips would be to take care of your own hair. Love it for what it is at every stage and length and know that it will grow longer and longer if you treat it right. There is too much information on the boards for you not to retain length. Avoid sabotaging your efforts to retain length by jumping on every bandwagon and becoming impatient. Consistency with the right regimen is key. For the damaged areas, moisturise and protein treat. It took me about 7 months of moisturising and PTing to get my hair on track. Rubbing castor oil on my edges helped to fill them in.

HTH!

:grin:ms la donna, congratulations! you took out your weave and your hair looks great!!!:grin:

i love that upswept bun you have in your fotki!!!

maybe in the future, you can show a step by step guide to achieving that look? very elegant and chic!

HI!

I am not an ex-weave wearer... yet... I am using the weaves as my PS to get my hair past SL. I do admit one year ago I used weaves more as a crutch because I didn't believe my hair would grow or look good without help. But I have learned a lot and I am slowly but surely growing out my hair and really hoping to reach a certain length so I can stop with the weaves and just wear my hair out.

So far, with proper care, my hair has been thriving. I am hoping for the best and I am hoping to soon (this June) be a certified ex-weave wearer! :yep:

Yup, I am an ex-weave wearer. I haven't worn a weave since September 2006. I wanted my own, growing out of my scalp BSL and beyond hair and that's what I got.

Dear Honey, you mean you went from weaves in 2006 to bsl now?:king::clapping::bouncegre:trampolin:woot::bouncy:that is like a DREAM COME TRUE!!!

..............but how???:violin::dizzy:.....did you already have long hair?

How long did it take for you to find the right regimine?

"For the damaged areas, moisturise and protein treat. It took me about 7 months of moisturising and PTing to get my hair on track. Rubbing castor oil on my edges helped to fill them in."

i'm trying castor oil and i've read on here that emu oil and amla oil are good too, but it's hard to tell if those oils are helping my hair to grow or if my hair is just growing because without too much breakage, everyone's hair grows.

is there anything in particular that worked for you with your hair growth dream come true?

thanks so much for the hope this has given!

Last edited:
HI!

But I have learned a lot and I am slowly but surely growing out my hair and really hoping to reach a certain length so I can stop with the weaves and just wear my hair out.

So far, with proper care, my hair has been thriving. I am hoping for the best and I am hoping to soon (this June) be a certified ex-weave wearer! :yep:

Thanks Angenoir and congratulations on reaching your goals!
to have thrivinir is not an easy thing to accomplish and i truly hope your hair will be where you want it by this June so that you can reach your new goal of being a "certified ex-weave wearer"!:grin:

could you share with us some of the things that have been helping your hair to thrive so much?
what's the single most important thing you KNOW your hair cannot do without in terms of growing it out as well as you have?

thanks and hhg!

Thanks Angenoir and congratulations on reaching your goals!
to have thrivinir is not an easy thing to accomplish and i truly hope your hair will be where you want it by this June so that you can reach your new goal of being a "certified ex-weave wearer"!:grin:

could you share with us some of the things that have been helping your hair to thrive so much?
what's the single most important thing you KNOW your hair cannot do without in terms of growing it out as well as you have?

thanks and hhg!
HI!

Thanks! I do hope to reach my goal though the thing is I am a very very slow grower….

What do I do? Very simple things really:
· I have very fine hair of medium density. So excess tension tends to break it. It is therefore key for me not to have too-tight braids. I tend to tell the stylists this when they are doing my hair.
· I moisturize regularly by DC’ing and spritzing the braids underneath.
· I check my hair every so often to feel if its dry or breaking
· And I do a protein and deep DC after each take down and before the next install. Before each install I really try to assess whether my hair is in good enough condition for an install eg does it feel strong? Are the edges ok? Is it breaking off? Excess shedding? Etc If it is not in good condition, I delay the install and pamper my hair
· I did notice that my leave out hair was really breaking due to applying heat to blend it with the weave so for the last two installs I have had a full head weave. I used a closure piece.

And I generally just leave my hair alone :yep:

Thanks so much Angenoir!

i especially like that part about "just leaving my hair alone"!
something i have a hard time doing, lol!

we are in next door countires!!!
you are soooo lucky to have found a stylist in Switzerland who knows how to do our hair!!!
here in Milan, i haven't found anybody that really knows how to care for our hair, so i do it myself. (i used to go to get the weave done because we do have experts for weaves and braids, but not all the rest)

nice to meet you, neighboor!!!

I used to wear weaves all the time. And once I started I couldnt stop. It was a cycle for me...I would wear them for months at a time. Then get frustrated with not being able to feel my scalp so I would take it out get impatient with the inbetween length then I would cut it into a Halle cut...and this was my cycle for yeeeeaaarrrsss.

When I stop wearing the weaves its almost a culture shock. I have to completely adjust to a new look. I dont feel right because its a totally different look. My hair wasnt as full, or long as the weave. So its like a detox lol! Its really serious.

But this last time (I took it out in September), was wear phony pony's and faux buns. I did that for a month in a half because everytime I wore my hair out it didnt look nice to me. But eventually I was able to mentally transition. So now I will wear my hair out some days and wear the ponys other days.

I have a damage spot in the bang area because thats where my part was and my real hair was left out. So I was flat ironing it daily to blend. I tried to get a sew in just for that area and I was so used to my hair at that point I didnt keep it in....ironic

So force yourself to wear your hair even if you dont like it or dont feel cute...you will adjust.

But what really saves me is my phony ponys!! Girl..get up on it..lol

Attachments

• 110Pony.jpg
    110Pony.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The most important tips I have for ex-weave users is 1) Do NOT put any chemicals in your hair! Your hair is the strongest in its natural state. If you do put chemicals in your hair then, eventually, you will not achieve the look you want and your hair will become weak (and eventually fall out) and you will end up putting the weave back in anyway.

Oh Ms la donna...THank you so MUCH for saying that! :yep:Thats how i found this board! 3 yrs ago I took out me weave and had fully grown out my relaxer leaving me a natural head of full APL hair.. I got it flat ironed the day I took it out...I guess my hairdresser didnt know the best products to use to avoid reversion. My hair reverted 2 hours after I left the salon.. So I proceeded the next day to go Dominican and let them put in a full head relaxer.:nono:. it started off full bouncy and swangy..after a year it was thin and breaking. SO now the weave IS BACK IN! :wallbash:Please Ladies do not make theis mistake. Please heed Ms La Donna's advice!

:grin:ms la donna, congratulations! you took out your weave and your hair looks great!!!:grin:

i love that upswept bun you have in your fotki!!!

maybe in the future, you can show a step by step guide to achieving that look? very elegant and chic!

Yeah girl I've been getting several requests to add a tutorial on how to make hair buns and I'm working on it!!!

Back