Emergency, Coconut Oil Disaster!!!!!!!!!!

Arcadian

What kind of coconut oil are you ladies using? You should use unrefined organic coconut oil. Also, if you allow the oil to sit any room temperature ( or slightly warmer) it will turn into a liquid. This should penetrate the hair and moisturize the ends :)

I've always used organic cold pressed coconut oil. But even that makes my hair quite unhappy if used alone.

I can use some quite heavy oils and even butters on my hair (I had an accident with shea butter once:look:) as far as singular oils I have used argan oil (the pure stuff) by itself on my hair with no problems except for it made my hair oily for a few days.

But coconut and olive oil straight? my hair is like ah..no thanks, can't deal:lol: These are the only two oils I have problems with in their pure form so go figure.

I also don't think I'm particularly protien sensitive as I've used egg and yogurt as an experimental conditioner (it made my hair soft but was kinda gross)

-A

Arcadian

WoW! I'm also 4A/3Cish with a combo of porosities on my head and my hair behaves the EXACT same way with coconut oil. It loves heavy oils and butters like olive oil, castor oil, and shea butter, but if I come anywhere near it with some coconut oil... Dry, brittle, greasy mess! It acts the same way with glycerin as well.

VERY intersting! We have about the same hair type but I cant use olive or coconut by themselves.

I can use glycerin though, my hair soaks that stuff right on up.

-A

SunnyHoney

WoW! I'm also 4A/3Cish with a combo of porosities on my head and my hair behaves the EXACT same way with coconut oil. It loves heavy oils and butters like olive oil, castor oil, and shea butter, but if I come anywhere near it with some coconut oil... Dry, brittle, greasy mess! It acts the same way with glycerin as well.

OP, I was going to say:

Try clarifying shampoo, steam and/or DC, then put some glycerin-based curl activator on it, like Care Free Curl Gold or S-Curl. Glycerin wicks moisture into the hair, so much so, that my hair can literally pull moisture out of the air, and I sometimes get mushy hair when I over-do the glycerin. But when I need extra moisture, like after protein treatment or something, it serves to balance the drying effects of another product very well.

I really think this would work, but I just want to refer to AimWard's comment because she said her hair gets dry and brittle with glycerin. I wonder what product in particular, AimWard? So anyway, OP, if you try the glycerin, proceed with caution... maybe do a small section of hair to test it!

Good luck to you. I'm sorry this happened. Keep us posted on how it all works out.

MzSwift

Yeah girl, I did the same thing. Calling myself "revisiting" coconut oil and my hair turned all hard. I ended up trimming my ends :(

My trusty moisturizing DC is EVOO+honey+salt mixed into my DC.

I'm also a fine haired natural. Not really sure about my porosity. Hair hates coconut oil but I love it on my skin.

Anne26

panda
This happens to me too. You're not alone. I need a lot of washes, maybe after a week just to clean up some coconut oil. Moisturize as usual, once the oil is out your hair will be normal again.

hothair

It feels like straw. And I mean dry, brittle straw. I run water over it.....its still straw. Put the conditioners in.....utter straw. I am wondering about ACV????

So did you clarify? I believe once you clarify and DC it will be fine.

AimWard

OP, I was going to say:

Try clarifying shampoo, steam and/or DC, then put some glycerin-based curl activator on it, like Care Free Curl Gold or S-Curl. Glycerin wicks moisture into the hair, so much so, that my hair can literally pull moisture out of the air, and I sometimes get mushy hair when I over-do the glycerin. But when I need extra moisture, like after protein treatment or something, it serves to balance the drying effects of another product very well.

I really think this would work, but I just want to refer to AimWard's comment because she said her hair gets dry and brittle with glycerin. I wonder what product in particular, AimWard? So anyway, OP, if you try the glycerin, proceed with caution... maybe do a small section of hair to test it!

Good luck to you. I'm sorry this happened. Keep us posted on how it all works out.

Anything with a substantial amount of glycerin. My hair is ok with glycerin if it's in a conditioner and I rinse it out. KC Spiral Spritz, Oyin Juices and Berries, Oyin Whipped pudding, Mixed Chicks, CURLs Whipped cream, Care Free Curl, Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave-In, CURLS Gel-a-See, MIxed Silk Leave-in, Deva Curl One C, Ecostyler, Fantasia IC Gel... The list goes on and on. All these products whether, cream, gel, conditioner or spritz, leave my hair feeling the exact same way... Dry, Hay-like, and greasy. The common ingredient in all of them is Glycerin. Took me a while to figure this out, but I'm glad I did. I also live in Northern California and even though I'm close to the ocean, it's pretty dry and arid here (year round unless it's raining). That probably contributes to my hair's dislike of glycerin as well...

OsnapCnapp!

Hello everyone thanks for all your replies! Well, I did apply it to damp hair and it was about 80 degrees in the house, it was slightly warm and the oil was pretty liquified. Its so crazy how this stuff work wonders for some but does damage to others :perplexed

So today I DC'd with the creme of nature moroccan oil intensive treatment but I haven't rinsed it out. I did clarify first. So after tonight I will have a full update but damn..........I NEVER thought this would happen to my head.:nono:

SunnyHoney

Anything with a substantial amount of glycerin. My hair is ok with glycerin if it's in a conditioner and I rinse it out. KC Spiral Spritz, Oyin Juices and Berries, Oyin Whipped pudding, Mixed Chicks, CURLs Whipped cream, Care Free Curl, Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave-In, CURLS Gel-a-See, MIxed Silk Leave-in, Deva Curl One C, Ecostyler, Fantasia IC Gel... The list goes on and on. All these products whether, cream, gel, conditioner or spritz, leave my hair feeling the exact same way... Dry, Hay-like, and greasy. The common ingredient in all of them is Glycerin. Took me a while to figure this out, but I'm glad I did. I also live in Northern California and even though I'm close to the ocean, it's pretty dry and arid here (year round unless it's raining). That probably contributes to my hair's dislike of glycerin as well...

dang, some of my favorite items are on that list! sorry to hear they dry you out. AimWard, I'm PMing you, so check your inbox!