COCONUT OIL DISASTER!!!

blackindia07

Normally I sing praises about coconut oil...until last night! [/COLOR]

So yesterday I read that coconut oil penetrates hair best when its wet. So I wet my hair and slathered on my coconut oil and proceed to add all the other things I put in my prepoo. So after I wash my hair I noticed that it didnt feel exactly right but kept on going. I dc'ed, used my porosity control and regular conditioner. I COULDNT GET A COMB THROUGH MY HAIR TO SAVE MY LIFE!!!! And I believe that it was the protein in the coconut oil. :wallbash: My hair doesnt like protein but Ive never had any issues with coconut oil before so I thought it was safe.

So I clarified and slept with a deep conditioner. Did a wash and go and called it a day. My hair feels.....ok. Not the same though.

Now I would like to set my hair tomorrow. Should I clarify again or is that too much too soon? Any suggestions?

TIA

Last edited:

KinkyGenius

I wouldn't think clarifying again is needed if this is a protein sensitivity issue. I think the DCing should do the trick.

MariposaSexyGirl

Seems like you were using too many products therefore causing product build up. You can't blame it on the oil if you used like 5 products along with it. I would chill some and leave the hair alone until next wash day. Seems like your doing a lot to it.

LaFemmeNaturelle

BTW coconut oil doesn't have protein. I agree with Mariposa. You used a combination of things so it would be hard to single out the coconut oil as the culprit. I also don't think clarifying would be a good idea since you just clarified yesterday. I think you should just leave it alone for a while.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

I don't think coconut oil contains protein. It prevents protein loss and can strengthen protein bonds, though. So I guess when used in conjunction with products that contain protein it may cause problems. What did you add to your prepoo?

blackindia07

Seems like you were using too many products therefore causing product build up. You can't blame it on the oil if you used like 5 products along with it. I would chill some and leave the hair alone until next wash day. Seems like your doing a lot to it.

The ONLY thing that I did differently this wash was the coconut oil. I prepoo with a lot of stuff but I have been using the same ingredients for over a year and this has never happened before.

blackindia07

I don't think coconut oil contains protein. It prevents protein loss and can strengthen protein bonds, though. So I guess when used in conjunction with products that contain protein it may cause problems. What did you add to your prepoo?

I could have sworn it was on this website that I read it contained protein just not a large amount. Oh well....could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time! :spinning:)

My prepoo consists of avocado, aloe, coconut milk, honey, eevo, castor oil and sweet almond oil.

I love my prepoo and swear by it. My hair has done a 180 since I started it over a year ago. This is the first time this happened so Im prone to believe it was the coconut oil.

me-T

avocado, aloe, and coconut milk all have protein. so adding the coconut oil to seal all that protein in would be my guess at the problem. i wouldn't clarify, but maybe just wash with a moisturizing shampoo or cowash, then dc

blackindia07

avocado, aloe, and coconut milk all have protein. so adding the coconut oil to seal all that protein in would be my guess at the problem. i wouldn't clarify, but maybe just wash with a moisturizing shampoo or cowash, then dc

Thanks! Very interesting...didnt know that!

*Muffin*

I could have sworn it was on this website that I read it contained protein just not a large amount. Oh well....could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time! :spinning:)

My prepoo consists of avocado, aloe, coconut milk, honey, eevo, castor oil and sweet almond oil.

I love my prepoo and swear by it. My hair has done a 180 since I started it over a year ago. This is the first time this happened so Im prone to believe it was the coconut oil.

It most likely was the coconut oil if that's the only thing that changed in your reggie. Not everyone's hair agrees with it. I believe I read a thread where some women were saying their hair hated coconut oil. Stick with what you're hair likes ;). Personally, I don't like deep conditioning or prepooing with coconut oil. It doesn't work for me and makes my hair feel funny, not awful, but just a way I don't like. But my hair loves it for sealing and dry hair oiling. I stick with olive oil and avocado oil for deep conditioning and prepoos.

Last edited:

ladylibra_30

BTW coconut oil doesn't have protein. I agree with Mariposa. You used a combination of things so it would be hard to single out the coconut oil as the culprit. I also don't think clarifying would be a good idea since you just clarified yesterday. I think you should just leave it alone for a while.

That's what I read also...

Keshieshimmer

Apparently not...But Im sure I read that somewhere. I was misinformed I guess..... And here I go spreading the misinformation! :lachen:
So I swear I had read on here that Coconut oil ACTS like a protein for some heads. I liked it for about 6 months then for some reason I hated it.

Hersheygurl

I have never had the best luck if I try to use coconut and avcado at the same time to prepoo. I know the coconut oil penetrates the hair, but it seems like when I use them together the avocado just kind of sits on my hair and does make it harder. I have the best results if I add coconut oil to damp or dry hair instead of wet.

Maybe, just as a humble suggestion, try omiting avacado one time if you want to use coconut oil to see if you have better results.

Your prepoo sounds great!

The only other time I heard of a friend having a disaster with coconut oil was when it solidified in her hair.

blackindia07

It most likely was the coconut oil if that's the only thing that changed in your reggie. Not everyone's hair agrees with it. I believe I read a thread where some women were saying their hair hated coconut oil. Stick with what you're hair likes ;). Personally, I don't like deep conditioning or prepooing with coconut oil. It doesn't work for me and makes my hair feel funny, not awful, but just a way I don't like. But my hair loves it for sealing and dry hair oiling. I stick with olive oil and avocado oil for deep conditioning and prepoos.

Ok so its not just me? I love to put it in my hair before I put a curler at night. It takes out whatever frizziness I might have had and leaves it soft and shiny without weighing it down!

Ok NO MORE COCONUT OIL WHEN MY HAIR IS WET!!!! :grin:

blackindia07

I have never had the best luck if I try to use coconut and avcado at the same time to prepoo. I know the coconut oil penetrates the hair, but it seems like when I use them together the avocado just kind of sits on my hair and does make it harder. I have the best results if I add coconut oil to damp or dry hair instead of wet.

Maybe, just as a humble suggestion, try omiting avacado one time if you want to use coconut oil to see if you have better results.

Your prepoo sounds great!

The only other time I heard of a friend having a disaster with coconut oil was when it solidified in her hair.

After the way my felt I dont think I will ever try it again when my hair is wet! My hair was SO hard!!!! I wont even chance it.....

I have read that it works best when mixed with EEVO...dont know if its true but I read that in a link someone posted once.

Thanks! I SWEAR by my prepoo. My sister and I have seen DRASTIC improvements in our hair since starting it. :yep:

Salsarisma

Your pre poo sounds awesome! Mine is similar, but I found that my pre poos work best on dry hair.

davisbr88

Thanks! Ive never actually tried it on dry hair...

Do you sit under the dryer?

I know you weren't talking to me, but I thought I'd chime in! :grin:
My pre-poo consists of honey, coconut oil, and olive oil.
I also only do mine on dry hair or slightly damp, but never wet. I have had the best results on slightly damp hair. I airdry mine for 15 minutes, and then sit under the dryer for 15. It's messy, but as a transitioner, I use it because it works wonders on temporarily loosening the curls in my new growth.

Chevelure618

Coconut oil is temperature sensitive. It is great when warm or hot, but when it gets cold, even on your hair it gets hard....I mean HARD. I think you put too much coconut oil. I'd clarify and start all over again.

Last edited:

Aireen

I don't mean to jack this thread, but does that mean coconut MILK has protein but coconut OIL doesn't have protein? :perplexed

againstallodds

Normally I sing praises about coconut oil...until last night! [/COLOR]

So yesterday I read that coconut oil penetrates hair best when its wet. So I wet my hair and slathered on my coconut oil and proceed to add all the other things I put in my prepoo. So after I wash my hair I noticed that it didnt feel exactly right but kept on going. I dc'ed, used my porosity control and regular conditioner. I COULDNT GET A COMB THROUGH MY HAIR TO SAVE MY LIFE!!!! And I believe that it was the protein in the coconut oil. :wallbash: My hair doesnt like protein but Ive never had any issues with coconut oil before so I thought it was safe.

So I clarified and slept with a deep conditioner. Did a wash and go and called it a day. My hair feels.....ok. Not the same though.

Now I would like to set my hair tomorrow. Should I clarify again or is that too much too soon? Any suggestions?

TIA

I'm so sorry you experienced this :(. I've had this happen to me before as well, thinking I will experience better results by applying to wet hair - I learned my lesson.

Here's a great article by Audrey Sivasothy "The Benefits of Coconut Oil in Black Hair Care"

**Snippet:
How Coconut Oil Benefits the Hair
Coconut oil is a very unique hair oil. This versatile, low molecular weight oil is able to leverage its traditional oil status to seal the hair, but complements this sealing capacity with a strong affinity for hair proteins not found in other hair oils. Because moisturization and hydration are characteristics of water, coconut oil cannot rightfully be called a moisturizer in and of itself. It does however greatly support the moisturization of the hair fiber in ways that other oils cannot and have fallen short.

Coconut oil benefits black hair in two important ways. First, coconut oil's hydrophobic oil characteristics allow it to inhibit the penetration of water from the surrounding air and environment. Second, coconut oil is able to bind to the natural protein structure of the hair. This helps the hair retain its natural moisture content and reinforces the hair fiber, making it stronger.
HTH!!!!

*Muffin*

Ok so its not just me? I love to put it in my hair before I put a curler at night. It takes out whatever frizziness I might have had and leaves it soft and shiny without weighing it down!

Ok NO MORE COCONUT OIL WHEN MY HAIR IS WET!!!! :grin:

Yeah, it's so strange. It's been so long since I've used coconut oil for prepooing and DC'ing that I almost forgot the way it made my hair feel. I didn't like it at all. But I like sealing my freshly washed, just moisturized hair with it and applying it to dry hair throughout the week. And my hair reacts funny toward other oils too, and I have to use them in specific ways or else my hair doesn't agree with them. Oh well, you live and you learn, right :drunk:?