Double Strand Twists And Growth

tallnomad

Please forgive me if this topic has been covered before. I did a search and got info. in random, various threads. Wanted to see if it was possible to put it in one thread.

Who has achieved significant growth from double strand twisting their hair?

How often do you wash?

How do you wash? Put a net over hair, just do scalp, whole head, etc.

Do you use shampoo or condition wash?

Do you use conditioner? Do you deep conditon?

What size are your twists?

How long do you keep hair twisted?

After you twist, do you do a twist out and keep loose for awhile?

What products do you use to twist and to maintain the style?

What do you do at night? Plastic bag, silk/satin scarf, silk pillowcase?

Do you wear a shower cap in shower or let mist get in?

I am growing out a texturizer and am currently getting my hair pressed. Miss my natural, big hair, but the salon I go to is very much into healthy hair. They do steam treatments which I love. I plan on getting it pressed for another month or so, and then hopefully going to twists.

Thanks for reading this and your contribution!!!

Jaelin

Well I don't attribute my growth to twists but it's pretty much my staple style. Right now I have in twist extensions but this is what I did before the braids.

I view it as a good protective style, attribute growth to things like MTG, surge etc.

How often do you wash?
Once or twice a week, usually once.

I untwist, detangle and wash.

Both. I am also still doing this with the extensions in.

95% of the time I do a deep condition, then put on a leave in conditioner

I don't really know, I tend to like them smaller (take a look at my fotki if you have time, to get an idea how how I've done them)

They usually get redone weekly

No. I pin it up or put into a ponytail but only for a day or two before washing and redoing

I currently don't use anything. I twist on damp hair. I used to use beeswax years ago but stopped because I never felt that I got my hair clean.

I don't do anything to maintain really, except that the ends of my twists never stay twisted after I've trimmed, so for about two weeks after a trim I have to remember to check and redo the ones that unravel. I keep them moisturized by spraying on water daily and also a moisturizer.

Satin cap and I have a head tie in case of emergency.

No shower cap, steam is supposed to be good for hair

Justice4alw

I'm actually locking now, but I think that I can contribute to this thread as I wore double-strand twists as a style for about six months and then used them as a foundation for my locs.

I started DST'g my hair a little over a year and a half ago and then used twists as a basis for starting my locs. I didn't start to see dramatic growth until after I started twisting and then a real growth spurt with my locs. Twists are a very low-maintenance, low-manipulation style, and they really encourage growth, especially for ladies, such as me, with hair that tends to be fine and easily prone to breakage.

My hair is longer now than depicted in my avatar, but when you visit my album you can see where I started and get an idea of the growth encouraged by twisting, then locking.

The regimen that I describe in the next few questions is the same that I used with my twists before I locked.

How often do you wash?
Every one to two weeks; more often if I go to the gym during the week.

In the shower. Let water run through hair. Use shampoo diluted in a spray bottle to evenly distribute through hair and scalp. Use my fingers to work the shampoo through the hair and scalp as if I'm washing a fine silk garment. Before my hair was locked (just twisted) this served to get them nice and clean but didn't unravel them. Rinse thoroughly. Repeat.

Diluted shampoo in a spray bottle.

I don't deep condition any more since I have no chemicals in my hair. Every now and then I use diluted conditioner in a spray bottle. More often I use, believe it or not, diluted apple cider vinegar as a conditioner, again in my trusty spray bottle. After I shampoo and rinse I saturate the hair with it, let it sit for 1-3 minutes while I finish my shower and rinse. It conditions, softens, and detangles. The hair has a nice sheen to it and never has buildup of any kind. Apple cider vinegar has a lot of nutrients in it and really helps the hair to grow.

A little smaller than pencil sized.

Before I let them loc, about three weeks.

Only for special occasions as a style.

Before locking, Fantasia IC gel. Made twists very shiny and had great hold. Hair was soft. Gel washed clean without buildup.

Satin cap.

I wore twists for low maintenance, so I just let the mist hit them when I showered to keep them moisturized.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I only obtained average growth from twists....I get most of my hair groth with braids. I got twists done, I think, back in october or something like that....then I wore braids for two months, then I put twists in again and there was a noticeable diff in growth.

How often do you wash?

When I wear twists....I only leave them in for at most two weeks and I don't wash....when I take them out, I wash my hair. I have never had twists with extensions, but I would presume that one would treat them the same as regular braids in terms of washing....that would be at least once a week or so---though I admit I do not really follow those procedures either.

I get mine small to medium sized....like a pencil I suppose.

Two weeks at most because I get the itchies real bad and plus, I don't want them to start locking.

No, I've never done that....only because I didn't feel like it....once I untwist, I'm done!

I sprayed braid spray on my hair.....I would also spray MTG on the roots.

Silk scarf + satin cap.

I wear a shower cap because I fear the hair getting wet.

tastesosweet

I have grown my hair out using both braids and twists extensions, but have found that I achieve the most growth with twists, simply because I lose less hair when I take them out versus braids.

How often do you wash?

I don't. Currently, I cleanse my scalp using Sea Breeze or Herbal Cleanse, about once every two weeks. I twisted using human hair this time and curl pattern of the hair itself makes it impossible to wash.

Not while my hair is twisted. I use oils hair oils to keep my hair moisturized. Right now I'm using a mix of Rosemary Hair Oil, MTG, and Essential oils and my base and I've recently started to use Brahmi and Amla oils as well.

About pencil/pinky finger size. I have a picture of them in my Fotki album underneath the "Committment to Total Health and Beauty" folder.

With extensions, I try to go as long as possible. The set I have currently I will wear for about 3 months with a touchup halfway through. When I twist my own hair, it only lasts for about 2 weeks, if that.

With my natural hair, yes. With extensions, no.

My stylist uses old school brown protein gel to twist my hair, both natural and with extensions.

Satin scarf.

Satin shower cap.

HTH. Good luck!