Do's and don'ts of natural MBL+ haircare...

Fine 4s

Hey ladies

I've been feeling increasingly frustrated with caring for my natural MBL-WL hair. These are the times when I am most likely to commit an assault!

What are the do's and don'ts specific to longer hair naturals (or any texture)? Please...save a strand. Here's the one thing that comes to mind...

1. If I don't have at least 4 hours available to care for my hair, I won't start the wash. There's no rushing through this one.

2. Bragging about how hard it is to have MBL hair....J/k it's my goal-length and I know I'm in for it. The last time I had it was when I was a child. My mom took care of it, so I didn't have any worries.

No pain, no gain, right?

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
From my past experience...
remove shed hair before shampooing, on lubricated(oil or moisture)
don't skimp on the conditioning-I dc'ed twice a week without fail
for me having the proper moisture level was 99.9% of the battle (but in general moisture/ protein balance)
As you said, don't even try to do your hair if you don't feel like it or don't have time
I trimmed every 6 months, but I could tell it was time for a trim if my ends started to tangle.
IMO Once you've reached MBL, you should have a good idea of what works for you, you just have to remain consistent with your care and patience

NikStarrr

Keeping my natural hair in stretched styles. Now that my hair has gotten close to MBL, it gets tangled really easy.

I also detangle when with conditioner in sections. Didn't have to that at shorter lengths.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I don't know if I even want to get to MBL. I'm past BSL now and I'm pretty happy with it. Will keep an eye on this thread though.

Thiends

1. When frustrated, just put it in a protective style for a while. I have had my hair in twists for three weeks now and I love my hair again.

2. Do consider the horizontal length of your hair (how thick your ends are), not just the vertical length. I often shake my head when I see women who have a few tufts reaching the length they claim with most hairs being much shorter. That drastic V shape comes from breakage most of the time.

3. Wash your hair while in protective styles, not when it is loose. This will cut your wash time down from however many hours it takes to just a few minutes.

4. Avoid jumping on bandwagons. You got this far without monistat; you can get further without it.

5. Brushes detangle well, but often compromise the thickness of your hair over time. Wide-tooth, seamless combs are your friend.

6. Take very, very, very good care of your ends. By the time you read MBL, they are three to four years old, and might not bounce back as easily any more.

Last edited:

Eisani

These ladies have summed it up very nicely. Just adding:
* I do everything from the wash to styling in 6-8 sections.
* Keep a hair elastic, hair pins and/or clip with you at all times.
* Keep hair detangled and sretched. Some may be able to go days without combing, but I cant. In order to avoid ssk's, excessive splits and tears :look: unless Im in a ps, I comb daily.
* Stick with what you know and do whats best for you and your tresses; who cares what anyone else thinks?
* Dont forget to give your ends as much attention as the roots/scalp, and vice versa.

Qtee

1. When frustrated, just put it in a protective style for a while. I have had my hair in twists for three weeks now and I love my hair again.

2. Do consider the horizontal length of your hair (how thick your ends are), not just the vertical length. I often shake my head when I see women who have a few tufts reaching the length they claim with most hairs being much shorter. That drastic V shape comes from breakage most of the time.

3. Wash your hair while in protective styles, not when it is loose. This will cut your wash time down from however many hours it takes to just a few minutes.

4. Avoid jumping on bandwagons. You got this far without monistat; you can get further without it.

5. Brushes detangle well, but often compromise the thickness of your hair over time. Wide-tooth, seamless combs are your friend.

6. Take very, very, very good care of your ends. By the time you read MBL, they are three to four years old, and might not bounce back as easily any more.
:lachen::lol: LOL @ the bolded..

BostonMaria

Keep it simple really. Washing and detangling is a breeze, but it takes my long hair 90 minutes to dry under my Pibbs so I have to keep it simple. I don't jump from regimen to regimen anymore. I know what my staples are and now I just stick to it. Plus you don't want to do something to your hair and have a setback at this stage.

Ponytail holders are your best friend. When your hair is long a pontail just looks so pretty. I like to say that I have the ponytail that I used to buy at the BSS years ago LOL

Here's a cute ponytail holder I bought in Dallas last Friday

I have other pictures on my blog

Charz

Sinister Minister

THIS!!!!!!

Ms Lala

These are great Tips!!! I do alot of the things already mentioned. I'll have to say:
1) Healthy hair is more important than style or length. Focus on health.
2)I would have to agree w/keeping the hair sectioned and stretched. Also I am extra gentle w/my ends. I finger comb them mostly and use additional protein as well as butters on them. My ends tend to be more porous then the rest of my hair. 3)Finally,no combing while wet. I initially thought this was the only way to comb but it started causing me breakage.

curlycrocheter

It took me to understand that less product can sometimes be more. Once I started focusing conditioner/leave-ins/moisturizers/oils on my ends....I saw a HUGE world of difference in my hair.