Do's and dont's of natural hair

AtlantaJJ

DO
play experiment w/ styles. Natural hair is versatile, you'd be surprised at what it can do:grin:
Cowash as often as you like
Get a denman (or goodie knock off)
Moisturize Daily
Deep Conditioner at least once a month
Pamper your hair
Trim your ends at least once a year

DON'T
be afraid of shrinkage, it isn't that bad:yep:
Comb or brush dry hair
Use products with mineral oil/petrolatum/sodium lauryl sulfates
let the individual knots scare you, they come with the territory (Simple dusting will fix it)
This is excellent advice!

ImFree27

Don't think since you are natural you won't get split ends, just because you don't see them with the curl does not mean they're not there.

KrimsonKween

Don't think that becasue ur hair is natural u can add more things to it like coloring and bleaching.

Realize ur hair is ur gift and a girft from someone u luv is treasured for a lifetime. Doing to much to ur hair can cause it to say I am outta here.......... Sometimes we think becasue our hair is in its natural state it is like super man strong. It isn't.

Last protect ur hair from the sun and harsh elements. Weekends I wear a hat and put a plastic cap on and pre poo all day. What works for me may not work for u even though we have the same hair type..:grin:

locabouthair

Why are sulfates bad?

well sodium lauryl sulfate is bad and amonnim lauryl sulfate is bad because they tend to dry out hair really badly. because of the kinks and curls of natural hair, our natural oils do not spread evenly across the shaft, making us prone to dryness, and then when you use shampoos with those sulfates, your hair could become really dry.

Mena

well sodium lauryl sulfate is bad and amonnim lauryl sulfate is bad because they tend to dry out hair really badly. because of the kinks and curls of natural hair, our natural oils do not spread evenly across the shaft, making us prone to dryness, and then when you use shampoos with those sulfates, your hair could become really dry.

ohh i see

so both my ors shampoo and conditioner have it

Is there a list anywhere of good products for naturals? My hair has been dried out lately.

DarkAngell

ohh i see

Is there a list anywhere of good products for naturals? My hair has been dried out lately.

this is funny because i've been running a search for the past hour readingin different threads trying to find a shampoo that naturals like that doesnt have als/sls.

I found some recommendations but i'd like to know specifically from naturals what they're using.

LadyKaypnyc

ohh i see

You can do a baking soda and ACV Rinse (most of the stuff is premixed before I hop in the shower)

First, I wet my hair and saturate it with some conditioner, leave it on for 5mins and rinse

Then,

I combine 1 tbs of baking soda with 2 cups of water (too much baking soda will make your hair hard) and pour over my hair, I rub my scalp... rinse,

Then,

I combine 2.5 Tbs of Apple Cider Vinegar with 1tsp of honey and 1-3 drops of jasmine oil and pour it over my head.

Some ppl don't rinse out the ACV, I do.

Then I follow with a leave in conditioner.

On lazy Days, I have my Nasabb's Teawynn Shampoo which is sulfate free or you can use Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Shampoo.

Last edited:

DivaD04

this is funny because i've been running a search for the past hour readingin different threads trying to find a shampoo that naturals like that doesnt have als/sls.

I found some recommendations but i'd like to know specifically from naturals what they're using.

....and sles

i know a site for wholesale bulk buying poos and cos and a selection of other stuff...if you want to take a look here's the site....sulfate free ladies. I think these are great for those who also want to add their own touch to them and maybe sale or for their own personal bulk. I think we need to make a thread for: where to get it online thread.

don't forget to look at their samples

http://www.essentialwholesale.com/category_s/43.htm

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

having wash n go hai does not give you the green light to wear wash n goes every single day. gave me single strand nots and some splits:ohwell: so thats no longer a style I can do all the time.

naturalgurl

....and sles

i know a site for wholesale bulk buying poos and cos and a selection of other stuff...if you want to take a look here's the site....sulfate free ladies. I think these are great for those who also want to add their own touch to them and maybe sale or for their own personal bulk. I think we need to make a thread for: where to get it online thread.

I use Dr. Bronner's and I dilute it 1 part soap to 4 parts water. Not a drying moment yet. In natural products watch out for olefin. It's a harsh detergent that is used in lots of "natural" hair products.

michaela

Natural 4b
Great Thread!

Try to Shampoo with SLS Free Shampoo (All Natural Shampoo)

Avoid anything with Mineral oil and Petroleum s/p?
Detangle With Conditoner
When Your Home Alone try wearing a Satin Scarf Do The Same When Sleeping Maybe do it as a Cute Style When Going out:grin:
Detangle in Sections 4 or more as needed
Before Going to bed/ Going out Try Lightly Oiling ends (Evoo Works Well)
When Wearing wash and goes make Sure Detangle Throughly With a Great Detangler/Wide tooth Comb and for the Lazy people like myself when doing wash and Goes Make Sure at Nite You Sleep with a Silk Scarf and Your Should Be Okay the next Day!
To Avoid Tangles Comb as needed that Fits your needs!!!!!
Personally i tried the NO Manipulation and That Was a Big NO NO for me:nono:
Especially on wash/Co washing days Wide tooth Comb Should Be In Use
Denman Brush is Great For Getting Shed Hair Out
if You want To detangle with Denman Try To Pretangle By Combing With a Wide Tooth Comb (You want see as much Shed Hair if you Do this)
The Brush Will Glide Through Like Butter!
Make Sure To Moisturize hair everyday sealing with a oil!
And Last but not Least What Works for Somebody Doesnt Work For EveryBody Else!!! Experiment a little Try Different Stlyes/Methods and Most of all be Happy with what you got! just Work with it a little with some patients and TLC:bighug:
Patients is One of the Main Keys!:yep:
HIH!

Irresistible

You MUST get yourself a K Cutter comb. These combs were made for our hair. With this comb, no knot is impossible. Ok, I sound like a commercial but this is crucial. Check ebonyonline or the beauty supply. And don't accept any fake imitation.

I could have never made it without my K cutter! :yep:

Jetblackhair

....and sles

That's a great website Diva, thanks for sharing.

LovinLocks

Do always comb hair when it is wet.
Do use shea butter. It is the only product I put on my hair other than shampoo and conditioner. It is the best stuff ever.

Really. I've got tons of the stuff 'cause I make goat milk soaps and lotions. But in my hair, hmmm. I've got so much to learn. On I read.

Tks. :yawn: