Dominican Blowout w/ plenty of new growth?

Leslie_C

Ladies, I have somewhere to go and a relaxer is out of my budget this week although its about that time. I am going to get a blowout instead, but Im afraid that with a lot of new growth (8.5 weeks) and my hair being extra fragile due to that, they will rip my hair out during the process or rollersetting and blowing it out.

Can anyone share their experiences? This will be my first dominican blowout.

Tai

I've had a dominican blowout with almost four months of new growth and I had no problems at all. I would bring your own comb to do your detangling.

KAddy

Check JenniferMd's photo album. She has a pic where she has a LOT of new growth (after having braids for months) and then she has pics of her after with just getting a blowout. She also told me that they were very gentle with her hair. SHe is the better person to speak to of course. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lierin

I got a dominican blowout last week and I was 8 weeks post relaxer..my hair came out bone straight. Now I know that I can pretty much wear my hair straight at any time between relaxers and I usually go ten weeks.

lovelymissyoli

It shouldn't be a problem. When I was transitioning I got a blowout while I was in Baltimore and I have 4 inches of new growth. I didn't have problems with breakage, but I did have problems with the blowdryer being too HOT and it burning my scalp...never again will I get a blowout...but that's just me.

Zuppy

I got my roots blown out this past weekend and a Dom salon. I'm 8 weeks post, and I have some THIck 4b hair. It cam out great my daughter thought I got a touch up, but hurt like hell. The heat is so intense!

Leslie_C

thx for the warning about the heat...Im tenderheaded so Id better get prepared!

Bunny,
someone on this site referred me to a couple, I ll post it in a second...

Leslie_C

Bunny,
here ya go!
Salon Dominico is on the left hand side of East Colonial, if you are traveling towards the Fashion Square Mall you will reach the salon before you reach circuit city or the mall. I believe its in the 2000 block of East Colonial. I can't find a listing for the salon on the web or in the phone book, but you can't miss it, the canopy over the door is decorated like the Dominican Flag. The Salon is closer to the Orange Avenue, downtown business district.

Felicia @ Mr. Eli's Barber Shop
corner of 434 and 436 in the San Sebastion Plaza
Products used: Alfa Parf/Salerm
She charges $15 for wash,deep condition, roller set, and blow dry.
She charges by hair length. She also charges $30 for a relaxer.
closed on Saturday, she's 7th day adventists.

Maria @ Maria's Unisex Salon
located on 434 in a plaza right across from South Seminole Hospital (nexy to dry cleaners)
She uses all Salerm Products/Biosilk/Proclaim
She charges me $20 for a wash, deep condition, roller set, blow dry. and wrap. An additional $5 for a trim.

Im going to try the first one because its right by where I go to school. Ill let u know how I like it! Im not sure what they charge. Next time Ill try Felicia I think...

Ive been meaning to try this thing out for a while, and now is as good a time as any.

J

JenniferMD

Hey KAddy /images/graemlins/wave.gif you're absolutely right and I couldn't have said it better. I had 9 months of newgrowth when I got my first blowout it was amazing! My hair was straight like a fresh relaxer. The stylist was very gentle too, I had a great experience.

KinksnCurlz

i've been getting dom blow outs (roots) for ever. Most stylists are very gentle as they are aware of the heat, which only lasts for about 2 seconds. You'll be fine /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blkbeauty

Hey Jennifer,

I don’t want to sound too optimistic here, but do you think it is possible to do a Dominican Blowout with 4a natural hair. I used to go to a Dominican Salon in Adams Morgan and they did a good job, but my hair was relaxed.

Nevertheless my birthday is in two weeks and I want to have my hair straighten w/o using the pressing comb for my wild night out/images/graemlins/party2.gif

KAddy

BlkBeauty,

I believe it was CocoaButterflyy who had a blowout on 100% natural hair. Check her album. I don't know if she got it in DC, but she may have.

atlien

Leslie C, please be careful when doing this, it really depends on your hair texture. For instance my sister is a 3 and she gets dominican blowouts at 4 mths post relaxer great results, I am a 4b and if I attempted this at 2mths post relaxer I would be bald /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif. After my hair is rollerset at 2mths post relaxer the roots are very hard to comb blowing them out would be like torture/images/graemlins/nono.gif.I tried it once long ago and there was alot of breakage and little short hairs /images/graemlins/frown.gif. So please examine your roots and ends first to know if this will be beneficial to the overall health of your hair.

KinksnCurlz

oh, i should also add that blowing ur roots straight can b achieved with a comb (fine tooth). all they do is take the small section (roller was in) and run the comb thru the roots (of course ur hair is already detangled so that's not an issue) only. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I like this method WAYYYY better than the brush.

blkbeauty

Thanks Kaddy! I will check with Cocoa. I am not sure what would probably be better for my hair. A light press or a Dominican Blowout!/images/graemlins/confused.gif