Dominican Roller set and blow out, best method and products?

beana

I know this has been discussed here several times, but can anyone make any recommendations about the best products that give you salon results? Or post your favorite vids, or links about this?

I am 4a/b transitioning to natural and want more straightening options. I love my flat iron results, but I like the shine and swing that dominican blowouts provide.

Here is how i would prepare:
Wash, deep condition, leave in and rollerset with lacio lacio/ water mix in spray bottle.
Re wet sections as they go on each roller with mixture
Dry for 1 hour under the dryer
take rollers down, separate into small sections, and blow dry with round brush.

How do i get the roots straight and smooth? do i apply tension with the round brush to the roots and then blow dry and rotate the round brush on the ends?

I am interested in everyone's feedback , but do any type 4's do this with success?

What products are best for shine without weighing the hair down?

Is there a soft bristled round brush that you recommend? Most of them are hard!

Thanks so much in advance!!!:yep:

ManeStreet

I really don't recommend blowdrying it after sitting under the dryer unless you plan to only apply heat to the roots. Which I find difficult to do on your own. I went to the dominican salons alot and I always got "curly" and them just had them blow dry the roots only.

Rolling your hair, sitting under a dryer for an hour then on top of all that blow drying your whole head while running a hard bristle brush through it, is alot of heat and a whole lot of manipulation.

So if you have to, after rolling, lightly flatiron only the roots but on a low setting.

beana

Thanks @manestreet. Blow drying the roots only sounds like a much better idea. I'm wondering what part of the rollersetting process gives movement... the rollerset or the heat applied after the rollers are taken down?

When i was relaxed, i never blew dry after taking my rollers down because my roots were already smooth for the most part.

ManeStreet

I think with their method, the part that adds the movement is that they wash the hair like 3 times so there is absolutely NO product build up left on the hair and then they don't apply heavy thick oily products that will weigh the hair down. When I get it "curly", it's already bouncy and has movement before they even blowdry the roots, the washing and rolling steps make that happen. That's what I think at least.

blackberry815

Also you need the right blow dryer to straighten the roots, I went out and purchased the same one they use and my results are pretty much the same as theirs. I had other expensive dryers but this one takes the cake. Also make sure the hair is clean and well conditioned. The deep conditioning products they use have alot of slip. Products make a world of a difference! Also I know this is taboo here but using a fine tooth comb makes the rollers come out extremely smooth and make sure your hair is wet slick when you roll it.