Does Using a Reconstructor Cause Breakage if You Don't Need It?

PurAngl1

I just wanted to know if using a reconstructor if you don't need it or are protein sensitive cause breakage? I used it last night and my hair was breaking something fierce, unusual breakage. I also used Elasta QP afterwards to moisturize my hair. It was my first time using it. So I don't know if my breakage was caused by the reconstructor or the Elasta QP DPR-11.

Also, will this breakage cause a setback for me? What should I do now? Wash again and DC with a moisturizing conditioner only?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'm a newby so I can't give you the best advice, only what I experienced.

I did the same a few months ago and wished I hadn't and left well enough alone. After my nightmare of breaking and dry hair I was just told to moisturize like there was no tomorrow. I did just that and my hair returned back to health in no time. Then I over moisturized but after getting the hang of the proper balance I put the protein back in and it was just like normal after a couple of weeks. The breakage I had looked kinda like shedding because the strands were pretty long though.

HTH at least a little until the more experience vets chime in.

knt1229

A protein treatment/conditioner should always be followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner. Doing this restores the protein/moisture balance in your hair and should not lead to any breakage or dryness.

If you don't follow the protein condish/treatment with a moisturizing deep conditioner you may experience breakage and dryness which is what happened to you.

Do a moisturizing deep conditioner today.

LaidBak

Angel darling...We told you in your other thread to quit messing with that protein! A hard head is going to lead to a bald one--keep playing! :spank:

jcdlox

I personally think that you are trying too many different things without enough time to give you and your hair a chance to learn what works. I suggest you start from the basics of a regimen and build up. A basic regimen at the very least requires cleansing and conditioning. Start with a good quality moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and use that consistently enough to learn how your hair reacts. Then depending upon what problems you have, tangles, breakage, dryness, add ONE product or technique to your regimen to solve that ONE problem. Again do that for enough time to learn the effects and tweak from there. Then when you have that down, tackle the next problem. You can't solve everything all at once or overnight IT TAKES TIME. Just be patient, and the best news is if the hair on your head is in bad shape, new hair is coming in to replace it EVERY DAY!

PurAngl1

Angel darling...We told you in your other thread to quit messing with that protein! A hard head is going to lead to a bald one--keep playing! :spank:

I know!!! I wish I hadn't done that. I now realize that my hair was doing well because I had nearly as much breakage as I did when I used the reconstructor. I shoulda just kept it alone. But I will go back to moisture only for awhile. So, is this considered a setback? It was a ball of hair the size of a nickel that I lost. :nono:

LaidBak

I know!!! I wish I hadn't done that. I now realize that my hair was doing well because I had nearly as much breakage as I did when I used the reconstructor. I shoulda just kept it alone. But I will go back to moisture only for awhile. So, is this considered a setback? It was a ball of hair the size of a nickel that I lost. :nono:

Yes I would consider an increase in breakage a setback in your case. But its not in vain if you've learned something new from it.
Protein in and of itself is not the answer; BALANCE is the answer. And you must find your moisture-protein balance to be successful. We will help you along your way. :bighug:

PurAngl1

Yes I would consider an increase in breakage a setback in your case. But its not in vain if you've learned something new from it.
Protein in and of itself is not the answer; BALANCE is the answer. And you must find your moisture-protein balance to be successful. We will help you along your way. :bighug:

:nono: Awww that sucks. I wish I didn't do it. But I will find my balance and stick to it. Thanks

*KP*

Yes, too much protein will definitely cause breakage.

I was suffering wth breakage a few years ago and decided to use Aphogee 2 step. It was AMAZING and the breakage stopped instantly. I thought it was so good that I used it again 2 weeks later :nono:

The breakage was out of control. This is before I knew about moisture/protein balance.
Check out this article by Sistaslick on moisture and protein balance http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

Ronnieaj

If you are protein sensitive, DO NOT use more protein than you need. I can get away with Aphogee every 6 weeks because I am NOT protein sensitive. Quite to the contrary, my hair loves its protein. Too much of anything can be the cause of a setback, but too much protein can make it an especially bad one :nono:. Better listen to LaidBak!

PurAngl1

If you are protein sensitive, DO NOT use more protein than you need. I can get away with Aphogee every 6 weeks because I am NOT protein sensitive. Quite to the contrary, my hair loves its protein. Too much of anything can be the cause of a setback, but too much protein can make it an especially bad one :nono:. Better listen to LaidBak!

Thanks. Will def listen to LaidBak and you. Now I will just moisturize.

PurAngl1

One word MOISTURIZE your hair. Oh and stop doing too much to it. Your hair will grow be patient.
Thank you. I think moisture is key for me. I am just afraid that it will never recover from the damage that I've done to it (over processing, too much protein). On top of that my hair suffers from extreme dryness and I have no nape. :wallbash: I feel like regardless of what I do it will just be dry. I wil stick to my moisture regimen though and see how it goes.