Does leaving a non leave-in conditioner damage the hair?

augiemoment

I ask this because i decided to pre-poo on dry hair today and not on wet hair and i used very liitle conditioner with EVOO and heated it in a bowl. I then applied it from root to tip before detangling and 2 hours later my hair is as soft as silk.
I used a regular cream condish and i never get the same effect as my leave in cream conditioner.
so i'm serioulsy thinking of using this conditioner instead as my leave in( i still use a leave -in liquid condish).
what do you ladies think?

Triniwegian

I know about 300 ladies on this board who NEVER rinse out their conditioner, including myself.
I personally prefer a regular condish to a leave-in and it saves you money.

Diva_Esq

I agree with Theo. Leave-ins never feel like they're doing anything to my hair! I have some form of full-strength con in my hair AT ALL TIMES. No damage.

Mz.MoMo5235

the only leave in cond that is sold as a leave in and i like is HE LTR

other than that, reg rinse out cond all the way as a leave in. i really like using HE HH as a leave in.

Jewell

I know about 300 ladies on this board who NEVER rinse out their conditioner, including myself.
I personally prefer a regular condish to a leave-in and it saves you money.

True, true! As for me, I do rinse out my condish, but then when I get out of the shower (where I wash my hair), I apply other leave-ins (like the watery kind), serums, creamy leave-ins, as well as a regular old condish (like the one I just rinsed out). It does save money, and I've actually had better hair condition using a reg. condish versus a "leave-in" only. :drunk: In the near future, I'm gonna see how my hair fares not washing out my last condish (I use 2 after I wash with poo and when I CW). I'm only using the watery leave-ins b/c I need to empty my stash. Won't be re-purchasing, b/c they don't do much for my hair, compared with creamy leave-ins and reg condish left on hair.

I thought it might be too heavy, but I don't wear my hair out anyway, so what will it hurt? I like the method Irisistible/Iris uses, she slathers condish on her hair an wraps it up into a twist or a bun. Talk about deep conditioning, cuz she said sometimes she just leaves it like that 'til next wash. :yep:

Last edited:

jupitermoon

Regular conditioners make the best leave ins for me. All of the leave-in conditioners that I've tried have been too light for my thick, coarse strands. I have been leaving regular conditioner in my hair for almost 3 years with no problems. But I think it depends on the individual's hair. Someone with fine hair may only require a light leave-in for moisture. Plus, EVOO may be too heavy for some but works well on coarse hair.

augiemoment

^^^ Celine
I do have coarse 4b hair so evoo is actually ok for me.
i am relaxed and at 14 weeks post, i find that my hair seems jacked up or rising so anything that weighs my hair down is welcome

shakenspirit

a lot of the ladies on the board live by this method and i used to do it too until one day i left in my Tresemme flawless curls conditioner and had an itchy head all day. i have left my conditioner in before with no itching but im convinced there is something irritating in some products because right now im DCing and my head is hella itchy lol

longhairlover

they say it can cause buildup, and eventually dry the hair out because they are supposed to be rinsed out. I personally prefer leave ins they do good by me, and I hate for my hair to be weighed down.

But I can see for a natural leaving a lil' bit of actual conditioner because the hair can be more thirsty for moisture and most likely it will laugh at a regular leave in.

MonPetite

I've done it for years, Bone-laxed, texlaxed, and natural with no great build-up issues and healthier hair for it.

You DO have to adjust how often you shampoo, if you use serums, whether you use cone or no-cone conditioners (based on your hair's texture), how you style your hair, and how often you apply conditioner to avoid build up issues.

The few times I had build up (when first getting the hang of things) my hair didn't become "thirsty" (it was getting washed or warm-water-rinsed every day, lol). It just became dull and the texture stretched out a bit. A good clarifying poo fixed that in 60-seconds flat and I readjusted the type of conditioner I was using or the frequency of its application and Kept It Moving.

EllePixie

It depends on what is in the conditioner - I know I have some condishes with cleansing agents that I wouldn't leave in, but most of them are fine.

kellistarr

I leave the conditioner in. My hair laughs at most leave-ins. But some are good as stylers. Sometimes, instead of leaving in the condish, i'll rinse it out and apply a leave-in on soaking wet hair, comb or Denman brush through and let it air dry. This is especially a good idea if I'm going to be using a custard or gel or other styler. conditioner left in, sometimes does not mix with these other stylers.

Yes, leave-ins have their purpose. What they usually DON'T do for me is control my hair or define it or provide enough moisture. But then, maybe this isn't leave-ins purpose. Maybe leave-ins purpose is as protectant? As in heat protectant?

Conditioner does all of this. I don't experience the build up because I go no more than a week between washes. What I have gained is a lot of retention and soft, touchable, well-conditioned and moisturized hair. I just use additiona moisturizers for fun and variety, conditioner is pretty much all purpose.

Qtee

I create my own leave in..I mix regular condish, olive oil and water in a spray bottle..I like a creamy consistency...it has worked well 4 me..

Carisa

I havent experience any damage from leaving in regular conditioners before (I usually never left it in longer than a few days though) Recently I've been using the nexxus humectress (only the one with the silver top) which is made for dcing or as a leave in with different oils and i get silky feeling too.

thebelleofelle

Well since leaving in conditioner doesn't seemb to damage anyones hair, does anyone use thr same conditioner to moisturize hair when flat ironed with out reversion or whatever??

Mz.MoMo5235

i actually use reg cond in my hair as a leave in when i flat iron and i have not had any issues at all (but i only flat iron a few times a yr)

i towel dry hair, spray in my juice, apply HE HH, towel dry again, blow dry straight, then flat iron.

i dont know what it does for reversion (because i rely on my generic chi silk infusion for that) but it leaves my hair super soft.

EllePixie

i actually use reg cond in my hair as a leave in when i flat iron and i have not had any issues at all (but i only flat iron a few times a yr)

i towel dry hair, spray in my juice, apply HE HH, towel dry again, blow dry straight, then flat iron.

i dont know what it does for reversion (because i rely on my generic chi silk infusion for that) but it leaves my hair super soft.

Oh I meant using it on dry hair after I've already ironed it...I haven't used a reg condish on wet hair to flat iron but I use my other LIs so I don't see why that would be any different!

Mz.MoMo5235

OH NO!!! yeah, once the hair is flat ironed it doesnt see the HE again til its wet cause it will revert (sorry, i got confused lol).

when my hair is straight and dry i use mizani h20 rose water hairdress... its real light and creamy and my hair loves it

EllePixie

OH NO!!! yeah, once the hair is flat ironed it doesnt see the HE again til its wet cause it will revert (sorry, i got confused lol).

when my hair is straight and dry i use mizani h20 rose water hairdress... its real light and creamy and my hair loves it

Now I'm confused...maybe I didn't know what the OP was asking...lol. Either way, she got her answer to both! Condish on wet hair = yay, condish on dry hair = boooo

Easy peasy. ;)

Curlykale

my mum uses conditioner on dry hair and then she immediately applies a silicone serum on top. this way it doesn't revert. she has texturized hair by the way, not sure about flat ironed hair... she has stopped using an electric brush daily thanks to the conditioner + serum combo (she has short hair).

KimPossibli

Supergirl
Bump!!

This weekend I left in my phytokarite in my hair in this weekend because I fell asleep.. so I left in, My hair felt good. better than when I used paul mitchell the cream. I think this maybe because the cream is a little too thin for my nappy roots....

This morning I threw on some paul mitchell modern elixer styling serum and proceeded to flat iron and it came out pretty good.

I want to transition completely to phyto products.. I think when I start using the non sulfate shampoo leaving this in maybe too much.

Happy to find this thread :)