Does God Ever Kill People?

Optimus_Prime

I'm asking in earnest. Do you think God ever picks people to kill or destroy or takes bets on what a human being can survive? Like in the story of Job where the devil challenges God, and God lets it torture Job and try to kill his spirit and destroy him.
Do you think it really happens? If so, what would be the point of that?

4cpleez

God tests and the Devil Tempts. The point is to live your life in reverence to HIM and do not ask why because it is not your lane. Have you ever read the Chapter in Job when the Lord answers Job's questioning?

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I mean, we know that the Bible indicates that God has killed people. Remember Uzzah who touched the ark? But I think the real question is whether or not God does this today.

Optimus_Prime

I mean, we know that the Bible indicates that God has killed people. Remember Uzzah who touched the ark? But I think the real question is whether or not God does this today.

Yes, that's what I mean. Does God still kill people directly or make wagers with the devil about how much the devil can do to them before they die?
I've read the story of Job and didn't God make his house collapse to kill all of his children to see if Job would be too heartbroken to go on living.

Ladybelle

I think John 10:10 sums it up:

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

How could the same God who gave his only begotten Son that we may have life & the same God who came so that we may have life be the same God that kill? That would be a complete contradiction of who God is and I don't think you will find any scripture to support God killing folk. You hear people say "God giveth & God taketh away" but that is the farthest thing from the truth than most sayings. The thief a.k.a satan is the one that kills, steals & destroys - not God.

Ladybelle

Yes, that's what I mean. Does God still kill people directly or make wagers with the devil about how much the devil can do to them before they die?
I've read the story of Job and didn't God make his house collapse to kill all of his children to see if Job would be too heartbroken to go on living.

God didn't make Job's house collapse, Satan did. Satan did all of the things that happened to Job, not God. In fact, my belief is that if Job hadn't have feared all of the things that happened to him - Satan wouldn't have been able to steal, kill & destroy in Jobs life because perfect love cast out fear (1 John 4:18). I also think the main thing the book of Job is trying to teach us believers is that to be in faith, we cannot have fear at the same time. It was Job's greatest fears that came to life which brings into question just how strong his faith was. God thought Job had more faith than he really had & Satan was able to prove just how weak Job's faith was.

4cpleez

God didn't make Job's house collapse, Satan did. Satan did all of the things that happened to Job, not God. In fact, my belief is that if Job hadn't have feared all of the things that happened to him - Satan wouldn't have been able to steal, kill & destroy in Jobs life because perfect love cast out fear (1 John 4:18). I also think the main thing the book of Job is trying to teach us believers is that to be in faith, we cannot have fear at the same time. It was Job's greatest fears that came to life which brings into question just how strong his faith was. God thought Job had more faith than he really had & Satan was able to prove just how weak Job's faith was.

But Satan cannot work unless God allows it...

Ladybelle

But Satan cannot work unless God allows it...

Nor can Satan work unless we allow it. God can't be God unless we choose him to be hence him being a God of freewill. You can worship God or not - it's up to us so ultimately we have more power than we give ourselves credit for having.

4cpleez

Nor can Satan work unless we allow it. God can't be God unless we choose him to be hence him being a God of freewill. You can worship God or not - it's up to us so ultimately we have more power than we give ourselves credit for having.

I agree with your point about our choices having some impact but i believe the book of Job's objective was to teach us that although we are spiritual beings, while we are in the physical world, we will not have revealed to us those things in the spiritual realm, nor should we question God and why He makes the decisions he does to spare some and not others. At the end of Job God answers Job's pleas with a monologue to the affect that basically He is the Lord who has created all things, knows all things and endures all things-not Job, not you and not me..so do not question it.. just serve and revere Him. This same theme is found in Ecclesiastes as the author encourages us to live life the best you can, keep the commandments, and revere God because no one on Earth can explain why good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people other than to continue to have unshakeable faith in God that it is best.

Ladybelle

I agree with your point about our choices having some impact but i believe the book of Job's objective was to teach us that although we are spiritual beings, while we are in the physical world, we will not have revealed to us those things in the spiritual realm, nor should we question God and why He makes the decisions he does to spare some and not others. At the end of Job God answers Job's pleas with a monologue to the affect that basically He is the Lord who has created all things, knows all things and endures all things-not Job, not you and not me..so do not question it.. just serve and revere Him. This same theme is found in Ecclesiastes as the author encourages us to live life the best you can, keep the commandments, and revere God because no one on Earth can explain why good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people other than to continue to have unshakeable faith in God that it is best.

God is the creator of all things of course, but I don't believe that he sits up in heaven pulling us around as if we were puppets on strings. Being that he is a God of freewill, our choices certainly come into defining our destiny. Then there are generational curses that can also come into play,but I don't want to steer to far from the OP's question which I answered above - God doesn't kill people. People kill people, Satan Kills people.

4cpleez

God is the creator of all things of course, but I don't believe that he sits up in heaven pulling us around as if we were puppets on strings. Being that he is a God of freewill, our choices certainly come into defining our destiny. Then there are generational curses that can also come into play,but I don't want to steer to far from the OP's question which I answered above - God doesn't kill people. People kill people, Satan Kills people.

Well I am not going to pontificate on it since it is really not my lane..I posted because I was curious as to what the OP's reasoning for asking was.. I truly believe that their is a spiritual warfare and we may not be puppets but we also are not our own.. just like when you give an offering you really are not giving your money but the wages God has blessed you with.. But again i say I cannot speak on it fully because it has not been revealed to me.. now i see as in a mirror but then I will see face to face... n e way this post intrigued me because I was going thru an illness to which i thought i was surely going to succumb.. i didnt tell anyone what was going on and simultaneously I was going thru tremendous stress at work and i hadnt the energy to defend myself and i continuously prayed to God as to why my failing health and my failing career was happening at the same time...i havent been the same since and was wondering if the poster was going thru something...

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
God said He does not change, so what is the answer to the question? The God of wrath still exists, whether you believe it or not.

Optimus_Prime

How could the same God who gave his only begotten Son that we may have life & the same God who came so that we may have life be the same God that kill? That would be a complete contradiction of who God is and I don't think you will find any scripture to support God killing folk. You hear people say "God giveth & God taketh away" but that is the farthest thing from the truth than most sayings. The thief a.k.a satan is the one that kills, steals & destroys - not God.

The question of free will also confounds me; God has a will, a will which is above all others. Humans are God's only creation given free will. Angels, such as satan is/was, don't have free will. I wonder how any could then rebel against God and God's omnipotent will in the first place to become devils or demons. Then, how could they do anything to people. Like if Job has a will and the devil doesn't, how can the devil do something against Job's will. Then if God's will is even greater than human will, and the non-existent will of angels, how can the devil harm humans unless God wants them harmed. In Job it was like the devil couldn't do anything till God said it could, and God kept giving the go ahead to destroy Job and make him feel forsaken. I guess I find the story so disturbing because it's like they picked someone who wasn't so bad at all, and started gambling with his soul.

But Job wouldn't curse God, so they just went on trashin his life and ruining his health and whatnot. How could he have weak faith if he wouldn't "curse God and die" like his wife told him to?
Also why does God take satan up on bets and stuff? Humans are not really supposed to be susceptible to the devil, but in Job, even God ponders over its manipulations.

God said He does not change, so what is the answer to the question? The God of wrath still exists, whether you believe it or not.

Fascinating. I'd never thought of it that way, though I'd always wondered why old testament God and the new testament God of Whom Jesus spoke seemed almost like opposites.

Ladybelle

OP- I would certainly pray for wisdom & understanding to God (whom has the answer) about your question. I think it will only be with his guidance will you be truly content with the response. It's quite difficult to share revelation, that's something you have to get on your own. Your own "ah-ha" moment with God.

4cpleez

I think you may go in circles trying to figure out the supernatural , OP. Well I will speak for myself, but like asuperwoman stated once I got in my Bible and prayed for understanding many of my questions were revealed to me. Everything else will have to come when we are face to face.

4cpleez

:grin:One more...sorry yall... look what i just found

The scripture previously mentioned at 1 Corinthians 10:13 highlights that God will not allow a Christian to be tempted beyond what he can bear, but it does not say that he is the source of the temptation or trial. James 1:13 says, "When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone." So God does not bring problems on us. He is not the source of the trials we may face, but he does allow us to be tried, and as the scriptures cited above explain, he will help us, if we rely on him.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
Fascinating. I'd never thought of it that way, though I'd always wondered why old testament God and the new testament God of Whom Jesus spoke seemed almost like opposites.

Read Revelations 3 when Jesus is addressing the churches.