Does bobby pins break damage ends

Shea

Hi Ladies. I am wearing a french roll for a protective style... you know to protect the ends and retain length. I wanted to know does bobby pins damage the ends and if so what a other alternatives...possibly more than one suggestion for a protective style. thanks ladies:)

goldensensation

Shea said:
Hi Ladies. I am wearing a french roll for a protective style... you know to protect the ends and retain length. I wanted to know does bobby pins damage the ends and if so what a other alternatives...possibly more than one suggestion for a protective style. thanks ladies:)

Bobby Pins- Yes

Hair Pins- not so much (if they are bulbed)

goldensensation

Shea said:
So the bulbed bobby pins are ok?

I hate bobby pins. I wear hair pins daily and I only wear bobby pins if they are decorative and it is for a special oocassion. The way that they pinch the hair together risks damage and snags along the hair shaft.

hotparatha

Same here, I usually try not to use more than 2 bobby pins if i need to. I stick to the hair pins with bulbs. I notice the bulbs on bobby pins tend to peel off after a while and start pulling out pieces of your hair.

Shea

you know that may explain why my ends are starting to look ughh. I have in the bulbed hair pins now. Thank God

ravenmerlita

In my experience, bobby pins are rough on hair. Hair pis that have the bulbs on the ends are much better.

My favorite and IMO the least damaging are hair sticks for just a simple bun or twist-up. These don't give you the same options as hair pins, but are great for just a simple style.

KiniKakes

Agreeing w/the others about bobby pins.

After you use them a few times, the bulbed end begins to peel off, and it leaves the end rough and jagged. My hair has snagged on those broken off ends a few times.... i was so hurt! I gave up bobbi pins shortly after that.

Softresses

Try doing your French Twist with a French Twist comb. They are made especially for this and are wide toothed. Most are seemless and smooth, but if not you can always sand down seems with fine grade sandpaper.

HTH

Softresses

Isis

I've been using Good Hair Days pins since I came to LHCF, as Honi and Krissyprissy mentioned. These are ultra safe for hair and they hold French Twists and buns very well. :yep: