Does anyone wear natural hair cornrows regularly to grow their hair?

Mahalialee4

I mean WITHOUT EXTENSIONS! (to be specific): How long have you been doing this and what kind of results are you getting in terms of thickness, length and healthy hair? Thank you for all replies. bonjour

Last edited:

MizAvalon

Do you mean natural textured hair or hair without extensions?

I am relaxed but I have worn cornrows(always with my own hair) off and on for years and it's a great protective style. Very adorable and easy for the summer months too. I have gained and retained lots of length with this style. They are great for wearing under wigs too, if you choose.

They make me look like I'm 13 years old, but I like them.:)

SweetCaramel1

i've been doing this for my daughter for about 2 years now. i noticed rubberbands were breaking her hair off, especially the side she slept on. it was really bad. she had a 2 inch ponytail on one side.

since i've been braiding and cornrowing she's retained length ever since. i was skeptical at first because i couldn't see the difference. but it has helped 100%.

Last edited:

locabouthair

i used to wear cornrows regularly without any added hair when i was natural. i didnt retain any length but i probably wasnt taking good care of my hair back then. everyone's hair is different. i've realized since coming to this board that my hair requires more care than most of the women here. dc every week, stretching, and moisturizing every day arent enough for me to gain length. my hair requires a LOT of care. so with that said, give them a try, it might work for u. :)

luv04

i do and still do from time to time..it helped me grow my crown out..also it a good way to style when u want a break i have sum pics in my album feel free to check them out..HHG

ToyToy

I wear cornrows on my hair all the time (without extensions). My edges are finally filling in nicely!

Mahalialee4

Yes. Just to clarify, I mean without extensions. How long can you leave them in without taking them out, and how do you keep them moisturized so they will not dry out and do you use anything on them before you take them down? bonjour

MizAvalon

Mahalialee4 said:
Yes. Just to clarify, I mean without extensions. How long can you leave them in without taking them out, and how do you keep them moisturized so they will not dry out and do you use anything on them before you take them down? bonjour

I wouldn't go any longer than two weeks. I don't use anything on mine to keep them moisturized, they just sort of stay fine on their own.

If I am exercising extra hard then I get them re-done every week because they start to itch and smell bad. :nono:

glamazon386

I haven't done it but my brother used to and his hair grew like a weed. My hair stayed the same length while he went from a short cut to braids hanging on his shoulder. He used to go to the salon and get it washed and cornrowed straight back maybe every 3 weeks or so. That was it.

Mahalialee4

Great. The longest I have gone is 2 weeks. I started a month ago, and my hair is loving it. Since my strands are fine, they would dry out fast with no product, so I made a knockouff Shea Butter Afro Detangler with an oil base since my hair will not tolerate liquid moisturizers other than water. I do not spray my hair, but it stays soft when I braid it up with my detangler. I hope to gain 6 inches this year. Ima do what the big boys do, cause they grow some hair with them cornrows. bonjour

sholly6

I wear my hair in cornrows and I'm natural. I been wearing it for a least a half of year now. And my hair has gotten longer and thicker, I wear the cornrows for two to three months and then I let my hair rest for a month I wear it flat iron.:)

JustKiya

I wear my hair in flat twists 98% of the time - I can't DO cornrows on my own hair (I can't get them all to look the same! :lachen: ), and my hair is DEFINITELY happier in them than it is out of them - esp. my ends.

I redo mines once a week - the flat twists only take about 30 minutes to put in, so I don't mind redoing them every weekend, and giving my hair some deep & intense loving then.

I make a moisturizing mister that I use during the week - jojoba oil, glycerine, a little conditioner (either Humectress or Oyin's Honey Hemp), and water. I soak my hair with it at night and baggy, to let the moisture soak in, and then mist it again lightly in the morning, and tie a doorag on tight so help keep the frizzies under control. I suspect as my hair gets longer, I won't have to worry abut them as much.

MizAvalon

nappywomyn said:
I wear my hair in flat twists 98% of the time - I can't DO cornrows on my own hair (I can't get them all to look the same! :lachen: ), and my hair is DEFINITELY happier in them than it is out of them - esp. my ends.

I redo mines once a week - the flat twists only take about 30 minutes to put in, so I don't mind redoing them every weekend, and giving my hair some deep & intense loving then.

I make a moisturizing mister that I use during the week - jojoba oil, glycerine, a little conditioner (either Humectress or Oyin's Honey Hemp), and water. I soak my hair with it at night and baggy, to let the moisture soak in, and then mist it again lightly in the morning, and tie a doorag on tight so help keep the frizzies under control. I suspect as my hair gets longer, I won't have to worry abut them as much.

Nappywomyn, did you do the hairstyle in your siggy yourself? :eek: