Does anyone know...?

Neala21

:perplexed How to tie or secure hair when using straight hair when doing interlocks or what is also known as crochets.

I have done them repeatedly on my head and can NEVER figure out how to securely tie or knot the hair down so it doesn't pull out when hair is being brushed.

When I had them done professionally from a stylist over 5 yrs ago who worked from her home she knotted them down and they hair actually stayed secured to the braid but I didn't figure out how she did it before I cut out the hair. The style is similar to tree braids to give you the look of free flowing locks without having to do a weave.

Any pic tutorials or pictures would be helpful

AsTheCurlzTurns

Okay I went all over trying to find something to help you out with this one. But I'll do my best to try and explain the way I've done it.

Since you mentioned crotchet, at first I thought you meant crotchet braids LOL and then I read the bit about the straight hair and trying to brush it. So I'm going to assume you know how to do regular crotchet braids. If so, then read on.....

But for this purpose, I'm going to do it as method of which way I'm wanting the hair to fall.

So let's say you're working on the left side of your head.

When you have crotcheted the lil piece through under the braid, then you would normally have the straight ends be on 1 side of the braid(gonna say the left side here) and the loop from the crotchet hook be on the other side(the right side).

Take approximately a pen point size of the straight hair (or even less, long as it's firm between your fingers) and push it through the loop on the other side.
Then bring the section of hair you just looped OVER that loop and make a tiny knot using a FEW strands of hair from the left side (the same hair that's originally on that side after you crotched the hair under the braid)to secure it.

I normally double knot it, but it all depends on which way is easier for you to do it. But some people use nail glue instead of knotting the hair. In this case, they would pull ALL of the straight hair through the loop, and then apply nail glue to where the loop ends at against the straight hair, but on the underside where it can't be seen.

These are the only ones I can tell you about, but others might can chime in with more info. But hopefully I've given you a general idea of how it's done.

Neala21

To: AsTheCurlzTurns

:wallbash: Why didn't I think of that!? LOL!
:yay::dance7:Doing my dance b/c I am planning to do my hair this weekend since I am on a 6month hair haitus or HYH till Christmas Personal challenge and from all the times I have done my hair I couldn't figure out the proper way to tie it down.

Thanks for the DETAILs as I will be printing these out so I don't forget. You've been so helpful.

I'll post pics this weekend of my hair and even do a step by step pictorial for thos who want to do this style (known as tree braids, crochet, interlocks).

Thanks again