Where do you tie your knot?

Junebug D

For those who sleep in silk/satin scarves, where do you tie the knot to secure it? Is your hair thinner or breaking in that area?

Has anyone found a knotless way to secure their scarves at night? Thanks. :)

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I tie my scarf at the nape but I havn't noticed any breakage in that area. I make sure to moisturise my nape well though before putting my scarf and bonnet on.

Lyoness

At my neck-back I can't sleep with it on any other way.. I've tried and I can't.. I haven't had any breakage.. the only knot less ways are to have a silk/satin pillowcase.. or the bonnets but I don't like the elastic personally

naturalgurl

I tie in the front but it still slips off sometimes. I sometimes tie in the back. It's just a pain all the way around...

ETA~I haven't experienced any breakage.

soulie

I cross it at the nape and tie it in the front (think Aunt Jemima). It never comes off, even when it is umm.... under activity stress :blush:

Dymmeonds

I tie in the front but it still slips off sometimes. I sometimes tie in the back. It's just a pain all the way around...

:lachen:

Yeah I tie in the front and it slips off often too. Now that you mention it I have a little sheer section where my Eddie Munster used to be....:look:

DarkHair

I cross in the back and tie in the front. I tie the knot on my forehead, and slide it on my hair when its secure.

it_comes_naturally

I was tying in the front and I have noticed thinning. I'm tying in the back now and it seems like that's not working for me either. My naPe doesn't seem to go acrosS in a straight line. It looks like it's been cut in a "W" so I'm wondering if the knot is why there are 2 spots (bottom of the "W") that don't have any hair. *sigh* :wallbash:

soulie

Let me add more about how I do it. I put the scarf on my head with the fold darn near down to my eyebrows, THEN I cross the back and tie it in the front right around my hairline. Then I push the part of the scarf that's over my forehead upward toward the knot - not moving it on my hair, just the extra material; I think this helps it stay on because if it does slide, I've still got a couple of inches of material before it even would begin to uncover my hair.

Nonie

I tie it like Soulie...but I also tie it at my forehead (or is a five head?) not at my hairline. Both the edge of the scarf and the knot are placed lower than my hairline. Also tying a reef knot (Any brownies or girl scouts in da house?) helps make the knot flat so it's not hurting.

Soulie, I just saw your second post. :giggle: We do it the same way, only I leave the edge of my scalp damn near my eyebrows and the knot is above the edge like at the center of my forehead!

Last edited:

soulie

I tie it like Soulie...but I also tie it at my forehead (or is a five head?) not at my hairline. Both the edge of the scarf and the knot are place lower than my hairline.

I think I might do it the way you do... I just sat here and pantomined the steps and I'm a little below hairline too.

naturalgurl

I do it like soulie and nonie sometimes without thinking about it. Those are the nights the scarf stays on. Did a light bulb just go off???

alexstin

I was tying in the front and I have noticed thinning. I'm tying in the back now and it seems like that's not working for me either. My naPe doesn't seem to go acrosS in a straight line. It looks like it's been cut in a "W" so I'm wondering if the knot is why there are 2 spots (bottom of the "W") that don't have any hair. *sigh* :wallbash:

I had this happen as well, it seems to have grown back since I started tying in the front.:yep:

Faith

I tie it in the back/nape and no, my nape/back hair is long and grows faster than everywhere else. Me not having any issues with the knot there could be because I don't really sleep on my back (if I can help it). But mine falls more on my skin than any real hair (so just below hairline). I cross in front and tie in back.

Last edited:

Nonie

I tie it in the back/nape and no, my nape/back hair is long and grows faster than everywhere else. Me not having any issues with the knot there could be because I don't really sleep on my back (if I can help it). But mine falls more on my skin than any real hair (so just below hairline). I cross in front and tie in back.

Also, could it be that the knot is on top of the material of you scarf and not directly on your body?

kiarai

I cross it at the nape and tie it in the front (think Aunt Jemima). It never comes off, even when it is umm.... under activity stress :blush:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Oh my days this was too funny!!!!

I alternate where I tie the knot, some nights to the front and some nights to the back. I dont want to create any points where the hair might not grow. Especially because my hair is so short at the back.

Fhrizzball

For those that don't like the elastic on the bonnets you can always get the ones with the flat bands instead of the elastic. I use both that and the scarf so I have a safeguard in case either slide off. I really don't know if my nape is suffering any because it's just a mass of random coils that love to knot up on me. I do nonie's method without realizing it though that doesn't help it stay on at all. I'm too much of a wild sleeper I suppose. When I wear twists though I have to only use a bonnet because with a scarf it flattens them out too much.