Does air drying your hair help it retain moisture?

Ronica

Now this may sound like a stupid question but I am willing to try it this week. When i blow dry my hair, I have to constantly keep moisture in it so I've noticed how some of you all mention "no heat" when drying. Does that help moisture stay in hair longer? What was the outcome of your hair when you air dryed your hair? I would like to wash mine at night then wrap it maybe drying it for about 15 mins. under a bonnet dryer then letting it continue to dry in the wrap over night. Would that be good or should I just wrap my hair wet and let it air-dry over night without a dryer to try the out come? Any suggestions are welcome

Kaela

For me, it really depends. If I let it air dry loose, with little to no product on it, and not tied down, it feels quite dry. But if I hair dry it braided, or in a bun, or loose with a lot of product, or any of the above with a silk scarf over it, it is very moisturized/soft. I don't wrap my hair so I can't really advise there, but I think if the hair is covered while it completely dries it will be moisturized.

G

I love air drying threads...

I think it does "help" retain moisture since blow drying kinda zaps it. I've noticed my hair has more bounce when air dryed, not sure if this is attributable to air drying or not, but it was seem so. Like the other poster said, if I don't use product it is still dry.

As far as wrapping wet, I think the effectiveness would depend on the length of your hair.

This lady told me that (concerning) partial drying that it is better to let air dry most of the way THEN use heat to finish, rather than the other way around. I had never heard this before, and it seems strange, but I've never tried it either to note the difference.

Has anybody done this BTW?

Ronica

Ok, so does that mean to dry it alittle under blow dryer then let it dry naturally the rest of the way? So what product do you use to air dry your hair and do you wrap it or do something else?

katie

It helps me retain moisture.But I have to use leave-ins and moisturizers on my wet hair.I airdry in a pony tail.My hair comes out too puffy when airdried open.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I think it helps my hair...as long as I using coconut oil it while it's still wet. Braiding my hair helps my ends retain moisture.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
It helps me retain moisture.But I have to use leave-ins and moisturizers on my wet hair.I airdry in a pony tail.My hair comes out too puffy when airdried open.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I've also noticed that my hair has more elasticity when air-dried as opposed to when I rollerset.

Kha

For me air-drying definitely helps my hair retain more moisture. Air-drying also makes my wets sets and twists(outs) styles last longer.