DOES AIR DRYING BREAK YOUR HAIR?

peacelove

I have come to realize on my hair that air drying leads to more breakage, shedding and tangles. I find that my hair does better with a blow dryer than air drying, because the airdrying causes my hairs to coil and they tend to snap MORE than if I use all the heat. I think I will be doing roller sets almost exclusively for my hair.

Is this the case for anyone else?

I have this sam problem. I notice that after about 7 weeks post relaxer I started having problems air drying my hair. I have been using surge too so that was too much manipulation with air dried hair. I did a CW tonight and I decide to blow dry my hair to cut down on the breakage and shedding.

That's why I only airdry in rollersets, not with my hair hanging loose. Some of the ladies here can successfully airdry their hair loose with no problems at all. Rollersets help "straighten" my hair out like blowdrying used to do (but for me, not as straight as blowdrying). I airdry with my rollers in for about 8-12 hours or use the cool setting on my ION dryer (3 hours).
I have no breakage airdrying this way.

When I was natural and I airdried my hair was a tangled mess. Relaxed it only works for my if l airdry in plaits. If I let it air dry loose it my ends will be a frizz ball.

Air drying doesn't really work for my hair either. When I airdry my hair even with a roller set it looks dry and my hair tends to snap. And the ends are so frizzy. I'm not really keen. My hooded dryer works fine for me.

i airdried my hair for the first time on Sat. and noticed breakage in my bangs. I think i'm gonna try rollersetting next time or tying my hair with a satin scarf and sitting under the dryer.

You never want to airdry loose. Use rollers or braids as the other members mentioned. Use a leave in conditioner or something to "coat" your hair too, especially if you are frizz prone. I used to pull mine back in a pony tail, not too tight or you will have a deep bend from the pony tail holder. You will have a slight one anyway. Then I would comb the pony tail straight and put another holder on the end of it. It would dry basically straight. That way I could run around outside if I needed to. Its great in the summer time running errands, dries faster too. When it was dry I would just wrap it and put a scarf around it. My body heat would straighten it the rest of the way. Some times I had to comb it out and wrap it one more time to get it completely straight.

I really think combing air dried hair is a big no no and asking for breakage. Personally, if I airdry I do it in a bun, braids, twists, a style that does NOT require frequent combing. If you must comb air dried hair I think you should dampen it a bit with water, serum or leave in first to avoid breakage. The few times I did airdry in a semi roller set I finger combed only.

HTH

Mine does not if i use certain products. If i wash with CON ultra moisturizing or some other shampoo that gives slip and put my Silken Seal on my wet hair it will not break and will be ready for flat ironing with no need for additional product.

I can also put Profectiv Root Health or Break Free in my wet hair for airdrying and it turns out nice and soft - no breakage. I don't do this as often because I am afraid that these don't protect from heat styling. I would just do this for a wash and go.

If i did not use any other these products, my hair would look like the ladies in the Dr. Miracle ads.

Air-drying causes my hair stress, as it tends to become dry, rough and tangly, blowdrying works better for my relaxed hair. i even had problems with this when i was natural. If i air dry now, i have to use lots of moisturiser and do smaller twists and it should be fine.

I air dry about 98% of the time. I sometimes airdry in a bun, but most of the time I tie the front down with a scarf and let it air dry loose. I don't usually comb after its dry but if I must I use a little mist of water and some NTM serum. I don't get any breakage using that technique-along with a wide-tooth comb.

My hair loves airdrying too. With the right leave in and moisturizers- I don't have any breakage at all. Blowdrying has always caused me breakage and damage over time. I agree with simplycee, though-- Combing through airdried hair several weeks post relaxer isn't a good idea. But for bunners especially- airdrying is best.:yep:

I guess I'm one of those fortunate people that can airdry without too many issues at all. I typically wash and DC and follow it up with a little Surge on the edges, Biolage leave-in all over, and finish up with Salerm-21 until completely air-dried. No rollers, twists, braids, or heat.

When I first started air-drying my hair I did notice that my hair was dry and fragile, and so I re-configured my plan. After washing and conditioning, I gently dab as much water out of my hair. I then apply a leave-in (Aphogee), after which I apply my moisturiser (Chi- Silk Infusion) to my roots, the hair shaft, and especially my ends. I lightly pass my wide tooth comb through and I then put my hair net, and bonnet and call it good for the evening. That’s what works for my hair right now. The moisturiser definitely helps me, maybe that's what you're missing. :ohwell:

My hair can only tolerate air drying when it's wrapped. If it hangs loose or pulled back it just sheds and sheds.

Lusa said:
When I first started air-drying my hair I did notice that my hair was dry and fragile, and so I re-configured my plan. After washing and conditioning, I gently dab as much water out of my hair. I then apply a leave-in (Aphogee), after which I apply my moisturiser (Chi- Silk Infusion) to my roots, the hair shaft, and especially my ends. I lightly pass my wide tooth comb through and I then put my hair net, and bonnet and call it good for the evening. That’s what works for my hair right now. The moisturiser definitely helps me, maybe that's what you're missing. :ohwell:
Welcome Lusa! :wave:

I condition wash and air dry loose everyday. My hair loves it, too. It's healthy. I don't have any shedding or dryness. It looks just like I blow-dried .... well, almost.

So two nights ago. I decided to see how my hair would react to air drying. So I washed with CON, protein with Jheri redding 15 min, moisture with conditioner gumbo.

I apply my leave ins exactly the same as if I was going to bonnet dry or blow dry. I used my usually setting foam. I rolled the top on teal rollers and wrapped the sides. I put pins in it so that it would stay. I sat around for a while and studied and then put on my scarf and went to bed.

The next morning I combed down the sides, no major breakage or shedding. Just the usual amount of hair. I curled the sides with the ceramic curling iron. Took the rollers out the top. Rewrapped my hair put on my scarf and took my shower.

Synthia said:
I condition wash and air dry loose everyday. My hair loves it, too. It's healthy. I don't have any shedding or dryness. It looks just like I blow-dried .... well, almost.

I styled my hair like that for almost 5 years, Syn... never had a problem!

Yes, your hair does love you; mine sure did! Still does I hope ;)

A few years ago when I was relaxed, I washed and conditioned my hair but didn't blow dry it. My mom blew up on me: "WHY didn't you blow dry your hair!?! Your hair will break if you don't blow dry it!"

It just seemed odd - How could blow drying with heat be better for my hair than letting it air dry?

Well, my hair didn't break when I air dryed it but it wasn't silky either. I should have put my hair in loose braids and pinned them. If I had the knowledge that I have now and used the products that I do now, I think my hair would have looked so much better.

Back