Do Youtubers with Type 4 Hair Get the Most "Hate" ?

LovelyNaps26

...specifically on hair boards.

(by hate i mean the most negative criticism. i don't think criticism means 'hating' but, for the purposes of the title...you know what i mean)

What do you think? Why are some popular youtubers debated on forums while other popular hair youtubers are not?

I was thinking about this today after threads started about Ateeya's interesting hair tutorial :look: and Kim's latest videos.

Ateeya is a hot topic of discussion for relaxed ladies and Kimmaytube seems to be a hotly debated and divisive personality within the natural 'hair board' community.

Is it just a coincidence that these women happen to have a certain hair texture and are debated so often OR do you think there is something that actually makes them, by virtue of their personality, approach, etc. so discussed/debated on forums?

Example: Taren916 is a popular youtuber. She has many subscribers. However, if she is mentioned here a thread isn't going to end up in thread heaven ( well not to my knowledge). I know she gets rude comments on youtube, as does Leobody, but on forums not so much. I want to know why there's this difference. I don't see why hair type should make the difference but there is one.

Thoughts...

LovelyNaps26

I remember when there was a debate about Kimmaytube's hair type being either 4a/4b or 3c...after her hair grew past MBL. People were kind of serious in that debate :lol: So, to some extent I think some are interested specifically because the youtuber has a similar hair type. In the case of kimmaytube that would be type 4 hair (though others may disagree :look:)

yardyspice

Oh yes! I can guess what the youtuber's hair type is just based on the comments but you already knew that didn't you?

This thread going to be locked by prime time.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say no. Ateyya gets hate but not cuz her hair may be 4b but because she doesnt do things "right" and her hair aint a chewed up mess with only 2 strands barely hanging on.

The other 2, Im not familiar with but Kimmay, she just has a nasty attitude but her hair length keeps people coming back.

brittanynic16

Roux

with the examples given you are comparing apples to megatron...

Ateeya looks a hot flaming mess with her lacefront helmets she tries to push on people and her damn near destructive hair practices. The video posted today is a synthetic catastrophe.

Leobody was so harassed on YT by other accusing her of being a tranny that she disabled damn near everything.

As far as Kimmaytube goes the only thing I know people to be pissed with were the comments she posted on Taren's page.

So i'd need to see some quotes, some names named, something to really get what you are saying.

EllePixie

What about African Export? I've never seen a negative thread about her, and most people I know like her. No, I don't think it's Kim's hair or hair type. I think it's her personality and the way she positions herself that opens her up for more criticism (ie, as a true guru).

People have said plenty of funky things about Taren on this board, but I think at the end of the day it's not that serious because she doesn't act like she is always right, and has even said that her YT is more about her personal journey. How can you argue with someone's personal journey??? Plus, she's nicer...I think that people are reluctant to throw shade at someone they think is nice.

People say negative things about Leobody on this board too, but the opposing positive side isn't as "passionate" as the ones who watch Kim...I think that's why the debates get so heated. It's not the negative comments, it's how people take offense to the negative comments....just my two cents.

cheryl26

i'm not sure. i hardly make threads i just comment on the newer ones. never heard of kimmytube before yesterday, just thought her headbands were a little overpriced, like certain items anywhere else. it might be just b/c they are the most popular regardless of their hairtype?

SimplyBlessed

Oh yes! I can guess what the youtuber's hair type is just based on the comments but you already knew that did you

Oh hell no Seriously...

no Atyeea is hated on bc she really has no good hair practices n if u follow her u may be bald...she has hair made out of hay obviously to go through what she puts her hair through..

Ppl don't like Kimmaytube bc she talks to u like u ride the short bus...she is rude and wants to be such a helping person but gets mad when ppl ask questions....

In all they both have beautiful hair but have their faults

ETA: ppl hate on kimnaytube bc of her sexy stare into the camera...they just can't take it

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:
I don't think it's that complicated. I think it all boils down to personal taste. Personally, I don't enjoy videos from any of the YT'ers listed in the OP and they all have different hair.

But with that said, I don't think they're bad YT'ers. Obviously some people like them. They just aren't for me. Well with the exception of Kimmay. Her attitude is foul!

knt1229

I don't think hair type has anything to do with it. I think for the ladies you named it's their personality and hair care practices that send people over the edge.

I like PrettyDimples who is a type 4. I never see her mentioned on hair boards. Based on the number of views her vids get she is very popular. AfricanExport is another type 4 that I like and is never mentioned on hair boards. At least not to my knowledge.

LovelyNaps26

What about African Export? I've never seen a negative thread about her, and most people I know like her. No, I don't think it's Kim's hair or hair type. I think it's her personality and the way she positions herself that opens her up for more criticism (ie, as a true guru).

People have said plenty of funky things about Taren on this board, but I think at the end of the day it's not that serious because she doesn't act like she is always right, and has even said that her YT is more about her personal journey. How can you argue with someone's personal journey??? Plus, she's nicer...I think that people are reluctant to throw shade at someone they think is nice.

People say negative things about Leobody on this board too, but the opposing positive side isn't as "passionate" as the ones who watch Kim...I think that's why the debates get so heated. It's not the negative comments, it's how people take offense to the negative comments....just my two cents.

I guess i was thinking about the blow up threads that i see here or other boards. I mean like threads that get clanked. There are only a few posters and people are already predicting that this thread, which seem pretty harmless will be clanked.

ateeya, to me is sweet. kim, well...she's different but she is very professional. taren, i like her. african export i unsubbed only because i didn't feel like listening to songs...i just wanted hair talk.:look:

initially i would say personality is the ONLY difference. i think it is in fact key. i would be lying if i didn't think some go hard because on some level they relate to the person. since they don't know these folks i figure the only logical reason is b/c they share something with them: similar hair struggles/issues that is in part related to similar curl pattern/density/coarseness, etc.

Nayna

Unbothered
I don't even understand how their feedback relates to their hair type. There are way more type 4's on youtube than those two.

naijamerican

I really don't think that hair type has anything to do with it. At all. Especially with the people listed in the OP. It's so important to account for the underlying context of why people react to certain folks the way they do than to ascribe it to just hair type alone. People don't like Kimmay's attitude. Pure and simple. People don't like Ateyaa's hair practices. Pure and simple. Hair type is not even a salient issue when those other factors come into play.

EllePixie

I guess i was thinking about the blow up threads that i see here or other boards. I mean like threads that get clanked. There are only a few posters and people are already predicting that this thread, which seem pretty harmless will be clanked.

ateeya, to me is sweet. kim, well...she's different but she is very professional. taren, i like her. african export i unsubbed only because i didn't feel like listening to songs...i just wanted hair talk.:look:

initially i would say personality is the ONLY difference. i think it is in fact key. i would be lying if i didn't think some go hard because on some level they relate to the person. since they don't know these folks i figure the only logical reason is b/c they share something with them: similar hair struggles/issues that is in part related to similar curl pattern/density/coarseness, etc.

I feel you...I don't think this should be/will be clanked...you didn't say anything inflammatory.

Ateyaaa (sheesh I still have no clue how to spell her name) is sweet, but she also wears wigs that are CLEARLY terrible looking and most think she reviews them because she gets them for free, and because she also seems to act like more of a guru.

Your reasoning is interesting though...honestly, I don't know. TBTH that would be kind of creepy to attach yourself to a stranger that much...but I guess people do it all the time so it wouldn't be totally out of the ballpark.

For Kim for/against though...it's pot meet kettle all over the place...I'm not sure how come people run up in the thread defending her like the people "hating" on her are "going so hard," yet they're going just as hard, but in the opposite direction. That's why they get clanked...people start getting all personal and talk about people's mommas and stuff...

Last edited:

LovelyNaps26

I feel you...I don't think this should be/will be clanked...you didn't say anything inflammatory.

Ateyaaa (sheesh I still have no clue how to spell her name) is sweet, but she also wears wigs that are CLEARLY terrible looking and most think she reviews them because she gets them for free, and because she also seems to act like more of a guru.

Your reasoning is interesting though...honestly, I don't know. TBTH that would be kind of creepy to attach yourself to a stranger that much...but I guess people do it all the time so it wouldn't be totally out of the ballpark.

For Kim for/against though...it's pot meet kettle all over the place...I'm not sure how come people run up in the thread defending her like the people "hating" on her are "going so hard," yet they're going just as hard, but in the opposite direction. That's why they get clanked...people start getting all personal and talk about people's mommas and stuff...

Bonnet girl... :sad:

Roux

Bonnet girl is mentally challenged though.

sidenote: have any of you seen the videos from PSNation and his 'Lateeya' videos? The kill me!

Iluvsmuhgrass

What do you think? Why are some popular youtubers debated on forums while other popular hair youtubers are not?

I'm not sure that it's a hair type thing or a color thing or if it's even related to either of those. I think it may boil down to preference, messiness, home training, and what gets under people's skin. People (especially our people) are seemingly messy towards each other for a plethora of excuses (I say excuses because there's never a legitimate reason to be naturally messy.) There's always a level of division. The haves vs have nots. Light skin vs dark skin. The city vs country (mentality/education level/morality/naivete/etc) The eloquent vs ebonic. The hood vs suburbanite. It's all crazy imho. At the end of the day, we all bleed the same shade of red. It all boils down to respect. We should have more respect for one another. You can dislike something without being ugly.

I think more attention is thrown onto Aateya and Kimmaytube because they're in the forefront. There are several ladies with great channels (that have type 4 hair) that are worth mentioning on YT. I think everyone will experience a certain amount of negativity but it's all in how you decide to respond (or not. )

Slightly Random:

Here are a few channels of other type 4s that I enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FreeWorshipFreeWors
http://www.youtube.com/user/whoissugar
http://www.youtube.com/user/AFR0ST0RY
http://www.youtube.com/user/AFRICANEXPORT
http://www.youtube.com/user/arr1216
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoilsKinksCurls
http://www.youtube.com/user/curlychronicles
http://www.youtube.com/user/Charzboss
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSistahChick
http://www.youtube.com/user/LeiLei08
http://www.youtube.com/user/tastiredbone
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nikkimae2003

Last edited:

empressri

i personally never started sh*t with ANYONE or went off on some rampage with e-beef with anyone on YT and still got hell from some psychos.

it is what it is. hair type has nothing to do with it. im telling you folks are GIRL INTERRUPTED and ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST!!!!!!

EllePixie

i personally never started sh*t with ANYONE or went off on some rampage with e-beef with anyone on YT and still got hell from some psychos.

it is what it is. hair type has nothing to do with it. im telling you folks are GIRL INTERRUPTED and ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST!!!!!!

Every time you say this I LOL because I can hear you saying it... :lol:

Roux

great now it's about black folks being negative. Lord help us if we have an opinion that isn't kumbuya, sunshine, and pigs feet.

empressri

I'm not sure that it's a hair type thing or a color thing or if it's even related to either of those. I think it may boil down to preference, messiness, home training, and what gets under people's skin. People (especially our people) are seemingly messy towards each other for a plethora of excuses (I say excuses because there's never a legitimate reason to be naturally messy.) There's always a level of division. The haves vs have nots. Light skin vs dark skin. The city vs country (mentality/education level/morality/naivete/etc) The eloquent vs ebonic. The hood vs suburbanite. It's all crazy imho. At the end of the day, we all bleed the same shade of red. It all boils down to respect. We should have more respect for one another. You can dislike something without being ugly.

]

you know this sh*t is true. and going outside of the hair world we want to go in on folks of other races disrespecting us when WE turn around and disrespect each other like it's nothing.

you dont have to like something but my goodness, ive seen it with my own eyes within the past few weeks at that. two folks that are popular in the hair world dogging out another sister, when these two ladies were ones that folks had just been dogging them out not that long ago.

but here these same two came out dragging another sister through the mud.

we are a bunch of crabs in a barrel mofos and it's like well if i dont have it i dont want this person to have it so im going to try and pull them down, and it goes on whether intentionally or subconsciously.

im not going to pretend that this sh*t isnt going on cause it does. it's a big problem and it's why a lot of our people end up in the same damn position instead of moving forward. cause we loooooooove to tear one another down.

hah!!! i see it at my job on a regular basis!!! i mean it's amazing. one woman trying to go on about we need to respect each other, this and that...but weren't you the same one that just called this chick a b**ch among other things a week ago?

it's an evil cycle that's not going to end. this is why if folks want to get ignorant and show their behind then by all means, go ahead. but im not going to jump on and drag someone through the mud because i dont like what they're doing.

if it's not about dollars and cents and it's not affecting me then keep it moving. there are bigger fish to fry in this game called life.

empressri

great now it's about black folks being negative. Lord help us if we have an opinion that isn't kumbuya, sunshine, and pigs feet.

an opinion is one thing. you dont need to like everything or kiss someone's behind if you do like something.

but to be flat out nasty and disrespectful is another thing and ive seen it, hell with my very eyes on this very board.

Roux

but do you ever stop to think that perhaps those negative bitter people are that way toward EVERYONE and EVERYTHING? that is the correlation that I never understand with that sentiment. The bitter *****es I know don't stop at people that look like them only. It transcends gender, age, race, height, weight, economical class, musical taste, boxers or briefs, cats or dogs, jam or jelly...everything.

fashion87

an opinion is one thing. you dont need to like everything or kiss someone's behind if you do like something.

but to be flat out nasty and disrespectful is another thing and ive seen it, hell with my very eyes on this very board.

LET THE CHUUUCH SAY AMEN!!! (I know church is spelled wrong, lol)