Do your BUNS hurt?!

spinspinshuga

Har har :rolleyes:

But seriously, bunning hurts my head. I've tried loose buns, tight bus, low buns, high buns, buns with bobby pins and buns with scrunchies. My hair just feels too heavy when I bun; it puts stress at my hair line, and by the end of the day I have a headache. I also worry it'll mess up my edges eventually.

My hair isn't that long--it's only MBL right now--and it's not thick, so I don't know why it's so heavy. It only feels this way when I bun.

Does anyone have suggestions, or am I the only one experiencing this? I don't like protective styles, but if they'll get me to my goals...

Caramela

Wow, no :nono: My buns never hurt. It's crazy that even loose buns hurt you. I don't have any suggestions but hopefully someone does. I don't even feel my hair when it's bunned up.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My buns hurt :sad:
I rarely wear buns for this reason.
It's just too heavy.
And I can't even try to bun it when my hair is wet :nono: That's just impossible, it feels like my neck is going to snap. It's the same with ponytails, the pony has to be really low to feel comfortable.

I prefer a single braid or twist instead as a protective style, but that's really boring if you're young and want to look fly. I'm old and a nerd so it's okay for me :lachen:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
My hair is too thick to wear buns but when I try to wear it in a puff, I have to take it down after a couple of hrs because I'll get a major headache.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Try and wear it once weekly and take down as soon as you get home, then massage your scalp. Don't wear too tightly. Use a chopstick to secure it...nothing to put stress at the front edges. Then try and bun more frequently but gradually.

Ponytails used to give me headaches because I always wore my shoulderlength curls loosely. Now I'm into bunning a longer length all the time. Just massage to get blood flow and relieve the scalp. Brahmi oil works well to cook scalp too.

spinspinshuga

What are you using to secure them?

I've tried bobby pins and scrunchies to hold up my buns. Both result in pretty terrible pain!

My buns hurt :sad:
I rarely wear buns for this reason.
It's just too heavy.
And I can't even try to bun it when my hair is wet :nono: That's just impossible, it feels like my neck is going to snap. It's the same with ponytails, the pony has to be really low to feel comfortable.

I prefer a single braid or twist instead as a protective style, but that's really boring if you're young and want to look fly. I'm old and a nerd so it's okay for me :lachen:
Haha, I'm an old nerd at heart; this is what I've been wearing as a protective style. I just wonder if I'm getting the same degree of protection from a braid as I would with a bun....
I experience pain with high ponytails too. It makes working out a hassle; jogging with a sweaty, low ponytail is uncomfortable, but the pain of running with a high ponytail is excessive.

Try and wear it once weekly and take down as soon as you get home, then massage your scalp. Don't wear too tightly. Use a chopstick to secure it...nothing to put stress at the front edges. Then try and bun more frequently but gradually.

Ponytails used to give me headaches because I always wore my shoulderlength curls loosely. Now I'm into bunning a longer length all the time. Just massage to get blood flow and relieve the scalp. Brahmi oil works well to cook scalp too.
I haven't tried the chopstick; that's a good idea. I'll try the scalp massages as well.
I've been taking my hair down once I get home, but then I'm like "Eep, what should I do with my hair now?" :drunk: I feel like my ends are always rubbing up against chairs and couches and it makes me cringe.

nappy85

Maybe you should try flexi-8 hair clips (http://www.flexi8.com) and just do a french twist for one of your protective styles. I'm bunning/wearing protective updo's all year and I was having issues keeping my hair up with just bobby pins and I kept popping too many plastic hair clips. Now I wear my flexi-8 everyday in a french twist. It's easy and leaves my hair feeling light (I'm at BSL).

Sunshyn3

I can't wait till my hair is too heavy to be in a bun...that's amazing. LOL Honestly, my buns dont hurt. I just twirl the hair around and secure it with a scrunchie, that's it. I wear it low and loose.

spinspinshuga

I can't wait till my hair is too heavy to be in a bun...that's amazing. LOL Honestly, my buns dont hurt. I just twirl the hair around and secure it with a scrunchie, that's it. I wear it low and loose.
What's odd is my hair really isn't long at all; I don't know why it's heavy. I mean it makes sense for Flowerhair's bun to be heavy, but mine? :perplexed

Nayeli

Har har :rolleyes:

But seriously, bunning hurts my head. I've tried loose buns, tight bus, low buns, high buns, buns with bobby pins and buns with scrunchies. My hair just feels too heavy when I bun; it puts stress at my hair line, and by the end of the day I have a headache. I also worry it'll mess up my edges eventually.

My hair isn't that long--it's only MBL right now--and it's not thick, so I don't know why it's so heavy. It only feels this way when I bun.

Does anyone have suggestions, or am I the only one experiencing this? I don't like protective styles, but if they'll get me to my goals...

:lachen::lachen::lachen:at the bolded. Nope, mine don't hurt - in fact I have to keep running my hands at the back of my head to make sure my bun's still there