do you still wash/wet your hair when you're sick?

Do you wash your hair when you're sick?

• yes

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • no

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCarolinaGirl

I'm sure you've all heard that you shouldn't wash your hair when your sick but does it really matter? I've had a fever off and on since Friday and I've been sweating because of it. My hair feels disgusting and I want to wash it but I guess I'm a little scared. So, when you're sick do you still wash your hair?

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Yep. I used to CO-wash in HS before I knew it had a name. I'd go out and it would be -1 outside and steam would be coming from my head, LOL! I never got sick. Quite often I leave the house with wet hair.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I didn't know you weren't supposed to. What do people think will happen? The sickness will spread to the hair?

LdyKamz

Yup. I've heard this too. But I do it anyway. Nothing has ever happened to me. Your head might be cold if you go outside but that's about it.

Lucie you are looking absolutely fabulous in your siggy. I am so jealous of your hair!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Wait till you feel better! You don't want to be fooling with your hair while you're sick. Sounds like it would give you the chills if your feverish.

SCarolinaGirl

I didn't know you weren't supposed to. What do people think will happen? The sickness will spread to the hair?

Lol... It may be a southern thing. The reasoning that I've always heard is that when you wash your hair your pores are open and since you're already sick your immune system is weaker so you can easily catch something else or make yourself sicker. :look: idk...

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Lol... It may be a southern thing. The reasoning that I've always heard is that when you wash your hair your pores are open and since you're already sick your immune system is weaker so you can easily catch something else or make yourself sicker. :look: idk...

But you have pores all over your body except your palms and soles. You have more pores on your body than on your scalp. Are you not supposed to shower either? I'm sorry maybe this is me as a foreigner but it doesn't make sense to me

LdyKamz

I've heard similar. It's one of those silly old wives tales from old Southern women.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
But you have pores all over your body except your palms and soles. You have more pores on your body than on your scalp. Are you not supposed to shower either? I'm sorry maybe this is me as a foreigner but it doesn't make sense to me

You lose heat from your head the fastest.

GreenEyedJen

I love washing my hair when I'm sick. You know how you feel better after a shower when you have a cold or the flu? That feeling is magnified if you wash your hair too. Unless I'm too sick to braid or twist it up right after, I definitely do. When I'm sick, I try to wash head to toe and change my sheets frequently. It really makes you feel better.

Lovestyr

Lol I laughed when I read this. Yes, it sounds silly but I was always told not to wash your hair while ill . Just one of the old wives tales. I would say wash your hair if you feel like you need too

yuhlovevybz

No. The reason for not doing so is because wetness on your head is not good in cold weather, that's where all your body heat is. Now if it's the summer time I'll still wash it but if I'm sick in the winter I won't.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
If I'm not in excruciating pain or if my sickness doesn't need Percocet or Valium, under the water my head will go!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
No. The reason for not doing so is because wetness on your head is not good in cold weather, that's where all your body heat is. Now if it's the summer time I'll still wash it but if I'm sick in the winter I won't.

But you could wash your hair at night so it would be dry in the morning when you leave for work...
And what about people who live in warm areas

Son26

Yes I do. When I feel sick, showering and washing my hair always makes me feel better.

SimJam

As long as I can move and I'm not in pain.
I just make sure to dry my hair once it's styled.
Hanging out in rainy weather or going to bed with really wet hair is a sure fire way for me to get sick.

In fact as a kid I wud wet my hair and go to sleep with the fan directed on my head = sick day .... no school lol

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using LHCF .... so I may tpye crap

Mahogony7

Shoot. I'm surprised y'all even have the energy to get out of bed. I sleep until I feel better. I don't care about anything else but sleep.

bhndbrwneyes

I've never heard this and its sounds pretty ridiculous. I will wash my hair as long as I'm able to get out of bed and feel well enough to stand up for more than 10 minutes. If I'm too sick to get out of bed then obviously no.

gorgeoushair

Shoot. I'm surprised y'all even have the energy to get out of bed. I sleep until I feel better. I don't care about anything else but sleep.

I know-right.LOL When I'm sick with the flu or something, the last thing on my mind is my hair. LOL Ain't nobody washing their hair while they got the flu:lol: Hell If I got the flu, I'm not gonna want to even get out of the bed:lol:

Jewell

SCarolinaGirl

Imma SCarolinaGirl too, lol lived there 23 of my 30 years! I dont do anything to my hair when im sick except keep my scarf on. Cotton pillowcases can kill Black hair. When i am truly better that's when i care abt hair again. My hair has to be terribly dry or dirty for me to wash when im sick. If ive been sick for more than 2 weeks, then i will force myself to wash it, even if i just run a bath and slide my whole body down in the water and dunk my head in the bath...its gonna be washed with minimal effort, but washed nonetheless. :lol: i cant go more than 2 weeks no washing my hair unless im in braids. Evenso i still wash my braided hair every other week.

Last edited:

ckisland

I never heard that you shouldn't wash your hair when sick, but I just don't. Like some other posters, if I'm really sick, I'm not trying to do jack. Wash my hair!! With my luck I'd be too dizzy and end up laid up on the bathroom floor. If I know that I'm about to get really sick, I up my hair in a braid or two so I don't have to worry about it.

nerdography

I don't. Usually when I'm sick I'm down for the count. There was one time that I washed my hair when I had the flu. My scalp was so itchy it was making me more miserable than I already was, so I went ahead and washed it.

Lilmama1011

It depends on how sick I am. If I have a average cold then I would. If I have a stomach virus I wouldn't because it would be coming out at all ends. I would struggle to even get up and wash my butt if I was that sick

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
(my mom used to say this to me too)

i cowash my hair all the time when i'm sick....esp if i have a fever because since heat escapes from your head, my temperature will drop if i take a cool shower and wet my hair.

also when i am sick with a fever my hair gets disgusting from the sweat. (i sweat in my head alot)

mind you i don't flat iron and try to be cute...i just co wash, put it in a bun, tie it down with a scarf and lie my little self back down in bed.