Do you protein before or after you flatiron?

When do you protein?

• Before

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • After

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Before and After

Votes: 31 37.3%
  • Not necessary...

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaughingOctopus

Just a quick question for you all. I'm prepping my hair to flat iron later this week, (16months relaxer free! BC'd about 2-3 weeks ago) but I am a little confused as to what step(s) to do in what particular order.

I was planning on protein with Aphogee 2 step, (I have not done this in over 10 weeks so I'm overdue) Deep conditioning overnight, Flat ironing next day and wearing my hair straight for about a couple or weeks (if i'm lucky:drunk:)

I was wondering if I should hold off the protein treatment till after I straighten, before, or even both? I really don't want heat damage, and i'm not sensitive to protein,but I don't wanna overload:ohwell:

Thanks.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Well with the aphogee 2 step, you are only supposed to do the treatment every 6 weeks. If you have a light protein, you can do the aphogee before you straighten and then use the light protein on your next wash.....or vice versa I guess. Sometimes I just use a light protein conditioner before I flat iron but this week I will do my normal protein treatment before and after.

ETA: I meant 6 not 2.

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

Do you feel the 2 step may be too much? If anything I would go with something lighter like the 2 min or similar unless you are in desperate need for a protein fix.

Your Cheeziness

Do you feel the 2 step may be too much? If anything I would go with something lighter like the 2 min or similar unless you are in desperate need for a protein fix.

That's what I do. I go light. The 2 Step is intended to correct severe damage. If you don't need it, you don't have to do it. It's meant for every 6-8 weeks until it's not needed.

I also love the Keratin spray. I always get strong, soft hair when I flat iron with this.

IMFOCSD

Hi,

I usually just deep condition with ors repleneshing conditioner before i blowdry and flat iron...u dont really have to do a protein treatments before unless u want to. Make sure you use a heat protectant before you flat iron.

LaughingOctopus

Thanks ladies! I think instead of the 2 step, I'll get the 2 minute and do it before and after.

I suggested the 2 step b/c i always cowash; sometimes 2 to 3 times a week no problem, but i can feel my hair getting mushy

allmundjoi

Idk, that Aphogee 2 Step is heavy protein. For me it takes a few deep conditions before I feel my hair is back to normal. I would probably not use a heavy protein like that prior to flatironing. The best flatironed hair is well moisturized hair. Maybe a lighter protein tx like Joico Kpak Recon or AOGPB. Or get a rollerset for straight hair after the heavy protein (less direct heat). I haven't done a rollerset on my natural hair yet. I flatiron my hair every 2-3 weeks, after a heavy protein I wont flatiron for several days (get in at least 2 dc). I'm scared my hair will be thirsty as heck after flatironing on poorly moisturized hair.

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

Geminigirl

I sometimes aphogee and then blowdry. Because I ran out of henna I usually aphogee every four weeks, if I go longer my strands become mushy and broken and very thin.

See if my hair really needs that protein, it will be soft but strong after a treatment and it may need a few washes after to get back right. This last time I didn't dc after at all, jus reg condish.

Missjae09

The last time I flat ironed, i did a protein treatment before and decided that was a bad idea. Usually when I'm going to straighten I will make sure I moisturize, I have decided I need to stick with that. The protein made my hair a bit hard for straightening, though I think I should have probably did a moisture treatment after the protein but I didn't have time for all that.

LushLox

If I'm straightening the whole length I'll use a mild protein before the flat iron and a stronger protein post flat iron. In both cases I will moisture DC for longer than usual.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I do a super moisturizing steam treatment before and a mild protein afterwards. I've had no problems.

Prudent1

it might be ok if you dc with something super moisturizing overnight
^^^This is pretty much what I do. Anywhere rfom about 3 days to a week before flat ironing I use the heavy Aphogee protein treatment followed by DC. Then for the wash or CW after I do another protein treatment and DC. I like to feel like my hair is as strong as possible before using any serious heat.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Hard to median protein before flat iron to give the hair a strong protection. If you have heat damage (straight ends, but roots are curly if you are natural) I would recommend doing a median to light protein over a few days for hair to revert back.

ellebelle88

Whenever I do protein treatments, I always follow up with a deep conditioning treatment and have never had any problems. Once, I was so focused on deep conditioning that my hair began to get mushy, I began to incorporate protein treatments and my hair really took off. I'm relaxed so I can't be without constant protein treatments, they really strengthen my hair and help to cut back on my breakage.

allmundjoi

I dunno. I guess I never protein prior to flatironing b/c I want my hair to have the maximum amount of water withIN the strand, that's why I deep condition before flatironing. I always felt that doing a protein condition imparted my hair with more protein molecules than moisture, therefore my hair may be drier than I want prior to flatironing. I guess if I protein condish then do a moisturizing deep conditioner that may help. And I have been keeping the heat low (<320°F) so as not to disrupt the protein structure in my hair so adding protein prior wouldn't be necessary. Whereas afterwards, from weekly wear and tear, protein may be. I dont know. Thoughts?

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

MissRissa

I also think the 2 step is too much, the 2 min should be good. i'm a fine haired natural and find that if i don't protein before i flat iron, i get breakage almost immediately. I do a quick 5 min condition with kpak, then i deep condition (heat cap or steam) for 15-30 with a super moisturizing condish before i flat iron. then afterwards on my next wash day, i do a light protein like the 2 min.