Do You Have a Widow's Peak?

CoCoEspresso

I do. It used to annoy me and I would even try to shave it off:eek: . That sucker would just grow back and keep on truckin'. You can't fight genetics. Now I have grown tolerate it. I have bangs, so i just cover it up and forget about it. As I was looking in the bathroom mirror this morning, I was examining it, twirling it up in my fingers, and I came to the conclusion that it's cute. After seeing women like Garcelle Beauvais and Lisa Raye display their's with no qualms, I have decided that I need to learn to embrace the peak.
What about you?

I have a widow's peak too. Everyone so often someone would comment that I look like a vampire but other than that it never bothered me.

I used to shave mine off when I was a little kid (middle school), but now I like it :) (Even though I have a gray hair sprouting out right in the middle :ohwell:)

glossyxlipz said:
Quick question, what is a widow's peak?

that dip in the middle of your hairline, some people have just a straight hairline and others (think eddie munster) has a pronounced V dip at the very center of their hairline, i hope i'm explaining that right:ohwell:

MissScarlett said:
I have a widow's peak and a sort of 'cowlick' my hair will only part a certain way around the widows peak:lol:

This is me all the way.:yep:

I used to get annoyed by my WP because it would never grow with the rest of my bang. Now it (and the rest of my bang) are past my eyes and if I part my bang down the middle and comb it to the sides my WP will hang down the front of my face. I'm starting to :love: my WP.

Ineedhair said:

See! That's just sexy... and mysterious. :sekret:

I can't believe you guys shaved them off! :huh: I used to make one w/ eyeliner when I was a kid.

I guess the grass is always greener... *sigh*

sareca said:

I can't believe you guys shaved them off! :huh: I used to make one w/ eyeliner when I was a kid.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...That is too funny.

sweetcoco said:
This is me all the way.:yep:

I used to get annoyed by my WP because it would never grow with the rest of my bang. Now it (and the rest of my bang) are past my eyes and if I part my bang down the middle and comb it to the sides my WP will hang down the front of my face. I'm starting to :love: my WP.

and this is why i don't have bangs, the one time I had them, my hair would part on its on and flip to the side:ohwell:

ITA I have just now started embracing that WP in the last several years, I used to hate it

sareca said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: . Now that's a switch. I don't feel so bad anymore.

More info:

http://ask.yahoo.com/20021227.html

Dear Yahoo!:Where did the term "widow's peak" come from?
Ashley
Hoffman Estates, Illinois

Dear Ashley:
Dictionary.com defines a widow's peak as a "v-shaped point formed by the hair near the top of the human forehead." Evan Morris' Word Detective site goes on to explain that according to English folklore, a woman with a widow's peak is destined to outlive her husband. The male counterpart being, naturally, a widower's peak, ê la Jack Nicholson. We found the origin of the term in the newsletter of the East Meadow Kiwanis Meeting at Potter's Pub on January 2, 2001. Author Robert Manson explains, "the use of 'peak' to refer to the beak or bill of a headdress, particularly a widow's hood, dates to 1530. So the term derives from a mourning hood." The etymology journal Take Our Word For It also sites the hood worn by widows, a biquoquet, as the origin of the term and mentions another expression, a "widow's lock," which refers to a distinct lock of hair on a woman's head. Sadly, this is another omen of imminent widowhood.

I don't have one.... but....... They ARE sexy!!!! :lol: What's that guys name Terrence Howard.... if he didn't have that WP workin he wouldn't be as sexy. Smack-o-damn-liscious. :look:

lmao now u know somebody is gonna google ol' boy up because they didn't notice it before. :p :lol:

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
I don't have one.... but....... They ARE sexy!!!! :lol: What's that guys name Terrence Howard.... if he didn't have that WP workin he wouldn't be as sexy. Smack-o-damn-liscious. :look:

lmao now u know somebody is gonna google ol' boy up because they didn't notice it before. :p :lol:

GIRL that is the thing that made terrance PHINE to me, shoot he was flossing the WP with that pimp permed out hair:lachen:

lol you guys are crazy. I was rading this thread and completely forgot I had one. I don't even pay attention! I never had a fringe so it never bothered me I just understand that "my hair don't grow that way" so I'll never have one of those floppy fros or anything :( The first inch of my hairline is fuzz so mines not THAT pronounced, here's a pic with my sexy blown out fro that caused me so much grief
DSC02355-vi.jpg

Joining the widows peak club. I, too have one. Couldn't stand it for a while but now it's grown on me.

MissScarlett said:
that dip in the middle of your hairline, some people have just a straight hairline and others (think eddie munster) has a pronounced V dip at the very center of their hairline, i hope i'm explaining that right:ohwell:

Oo I see. I wonder where they got the name widow's peak for that?

I have one. My hair or scarf usually covers it but if I am wearing my hair up I usually tweaz or shave it. I don't like it.

I have one it doesnt bother me...never did...

My first year in college, in my African studies class, on the first day of class, my professor bowed to me when I entered the classroom. He told me that a widow's peak is a sign of royalty in some African countries....

So all you ladies who have em...rock em proudly! You are royalty!

smitge said:
I have one it doesnt bother me...never did...

My first year in college, in my African studies class, on the first day of class, my professor bowed to me when I entered the classroom. He told me that a widow's peak is a sign of royalty in some African countries....

So all you ladies who have em...rock em proudly! You are royalty!

Cool!:Crowned: Now, which countries are these? 'Cuz I'm willing to move....:lol:

Back