Do you have a curly hair stylist?

Do your nails respond to the vitamins, diet changes and protein treatments you follow for your hair?

• Total voters

inthepink

How many naturals/transitioners/texturized girls have hairstylists who specialize in curly hair? Do you always have to get your hair straightened in order to get your hair trimmed or cut when you go to a salon?

When I was planning to get my hair cut a month ago, I called a natural hair salon and the woman basically told me she couldn't help me. She only did twists, braids, etc.

Do curly hair salons outside of Curve even exist? (I know there are other famous ones like Devachan but I mean more for 3b/3c/4a/4bs)

Ayeshia

I need one when I deide to get a professional trim becasue I dont want the wrong hair cut for my type of hair. But at the samw time, Im not too excited about the famous wedge cut for curly hair either
I havent seen any other examples for haircut shapes except the wedge. Its going to be hard trying to find one.

inthepink

Ayeshia - I, too, do not want a wedge cut. I would rather have layers. Then if I decide I don't like them, I can let them grow out.

Ayeshia

I wonder is that the only cut that curve does? It looks like a pyramid/triangle IMO. But hey it looked cute on some people but not for me. Yeah when my hair gets longer, I would love to have the front layered and long layers in the back.:) But Im not sure if this would look right because of the shrinkage. I think Im better off just having it all one length.

Tai

I do not want a wedge cut. I plan to have slight layers to help alleviate some of the bulk. That's part of why I'm planning a long term transition. I've seen the cuts on shorter curly hair and I don't like them for the most part.

My dominican stylist has a lot of natural curlies who come to her. They don't all get blown out. I'll probably continue to see her since she does good cuts on the curly clients I've seen. I wish we did have a salon here that focused on curly hair.

inthepink

Tai - that's really awesome. I wish I could find someone here. I know everytime I go to get my hair cut to rid of relaxed ends, I can only "hope" that when I wash it, they are all gone. It's kind of frustrating in a way.

Also, if you get your hair cut straight, who's to say it will look right when it's curly again? I think it sucks that most stylists/salons cater to straight hair and just know more about styling straight hair.

alibi

hair bored
I wish I could find one here in Miami. I'm going to NY in 2 weeks, and I'm thinking about going to Curve, but I'm hesitant b/c I'm not sure if I'm ready to cut off my relaxed ends...

auntybe

I had two different stylist cut my hair curly. They did a great job when it was curly. I had one stylist cut it weh it was sraight (it is the cut I have now) and i hate it once my hair curled up it looks like I am stuck in the 80's. It is chopped above my ears and a shag in the back. I was pretty sraight but now.......Yuck!

Bunny77

I was the one person who voted yes.

I go to a white blond chick in Orlando who knows how to cut the hell out of some curly hair. And she has straight hair on her own head!

She'd be the last person I'd think could do my hair, but I've been going to her for 4 years and will go everytime I need a cut (except for next month, when I do plan to treat myself to a Curve Salon visit when I go to New York).

Bunny77

Hairlove, I did some stylist searches on the Internet and found the best results at Naturallycurly.com. I looked on their salon directory and saw three strong recommendations for this stylist. Now, I assume they were all from white curly-haired women, but I figured that curls are curls and really just differ in kinkiness, so I gave her a try. It's not like she was pressing or relaxing it...

It did take me about 3 cuts to feel confident, but not because her work was bad. I was transitioning and had some bad breakage, texture mixes and just jacked up cuts. So she cut it somewhat shorter than I was used to on the first visit, then helped me grow it out and recommended styling products. She also offered to do twists one time on my hair... she did a few and did a good job! (I might take her up on that one day!!)

By the third visit, I saw my hairstyle starting to take shape and the cut was starting to fall into place. It was also healthier and softer than ever. That's when I decided she was a keeper.

Finally, she charges $38 per visit. I get a cut, wash and condition. She doesn't dry it or anything with a blow dryer, but just puts some gel in it and does a shake-and-go.

Hope that helps!

inthepink

That is very cool! Is the salon a national chain? I have seen some salons on naturallycurly.com. I am right now going through the same issue as you did previously. I am transitioning and have some breakage. Did she seem intimidated at all by your hair texture? Did you do a consultation first or a talk over the phone? Did you explain your hair texture and ask if she worked with it? Sorry - so many questions.

I like the stylist I have now - I've only really been to her once but I really need someone who can cut out my relaxed hair on one try and make sure I have a shape that looks nice when curly. My current stylist doesn't know much about curly hair. She can only straighten and then cut which I know would be fine...it's just getting rid of these relaxed ends...TMI sorry!

Bunny77

No problem with the questions!

The salon isn't national, unfortunately. The stylist is the owner, and it's a small place with just two stylists and one esthetician (don't know if i spelled that right).

I called her beforehand and told her about my hair type and she said she could do my type of hair and that I could come in for a free consultation. My mom came with me, and she looked at my hair and talked with me for about 10 minutes about what she would do. She didn't seem intimated at all, or at least she put on a good appearance.

I too have a great stylist who can cut my straightened hair quite well, but it didn't look right when I wore it curly. With this current cut, it looks great both curly and straight and I get compliments on the cut when it's straight as well!

I hope you can find someone who'll give you a great curly cut! I wish it wasn't such a chore to find someone.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Bumping!! I am interested in finding a curly hair salon or just a regular hair salon that caters to natural or curly hair apart from Curve that has reasonable prices for hair cuts.

RainbowCurls

I haven't got one. Can't be bothered.
I'd be afraid they'd give me a bad cut and it would take me years to grow out.

If I need a trim, I'll just cut bits off myself. You can't see the uneveness with curls :D

BTW, the uneveness you see in my avatar are 'layers' ;)
I think curly hair is best layered anyway so you don't get pyramid hair.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

PerfectDoak said:
I haven't got one. Can't be bothered.
I'd be afraid they'd give me a bad cut and it would take me years to grow out.

If I need a trim, I'll just cut bits off myself. You can't see the uneveness with curls :D

BTW, the uneveness you see in my avatar are 'layers' ;)
I think curly hair is best layered anyway so you don't get pyramid hair.

Thanks for responding.:) You hair looks great in your avatar you did an excellent job. I do my own trims as well but I want my hair in a nice bob/wedge cut but I am doing my research before I do anything I regret.

RainbowCurls

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Thanks for responding.:) You hair looks great in your avatar you did an excellent job. I do my own trims as well but I want my hair in a nice bob/wedge cut but I am doing my research before I do anything I regret.

I think if you're looking for a specific cut/style it is definitely worth looking for a good curly hairdresser though.

Syrah

That's my thing...I want to get a cut also, but i don't like the wedge cuts for curly hair. I have a round face and I just don't think it'd be suitable for my face. Looks great on some - not so great on me.

I live in LA and I've found some natural salons - but same thing - they mainly specialize in puffs, twists and lox. I have none of the above. What's a girl to do?

ArrrBeee

When I need a trim I go to an Ouidad trained stylist in a Plano suburb. She is Caucasian and does a great job. She gave me tips for doing my hair and used a wide tooth comb when combing through.

She only cut what was necessary and I was extremely happy with her work.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I would like to get a professional trim as well but I'm afraid to go to any salon here in KY... I'm afraid they'll straighten the ish outta my hair just to trim it. :nono:

glamazon386

I have one. Believe it or not, most of his clients are relaxed. He specializes in hair color and extensions according to his business card but he's a whiz at straightening natural hair. I let him trim my hair and he did a great job. He's the only person I trust to cut it as well as straighten it. He trimmed it while wet. IDK about getting my hair cut into an actual style though. I imagine he'd do a good job. Maybe I'll test him out one day.