Do steam treatments NOT work for anyone?

loveisnthehouse

Hmm... okay. Thanks for all the responses ladies and please keep them coming! I had not thought that I may be using too much conditioner... I am tempted to try and buy a stand up steamer from Sally's because if it I don't like it then I can hopefully send it back. For tomorrow though, I will try using less conditioner and see how my hair turns out.

davisbr88

When I first used it, it worked really well for the first couple of months, but then it kind of stopped doing anything spectacular. I get the same results with overnight DC'ing, which will definitely free up some space in my one-bedroom when I get rid of it next week.

Mrs. Verde

Thank you for the suggestions. :) I'm going to keep trying it. I haven't noticed a part that's fallen off. I'm going to look at the metal bar and see if it looks like a piece is missing. I'm also going to Sallys this week to buy those clips.

BeaLady
Here are the clips

simone103

I own a steamer and I have mixed feelings on whether it's really necessary or not. I used it mostly during this summer and can't say that I really noticed much of a difference in my hair - except my hair did shed a little bit more than usual. When I think about it, I don't think I needed to use it in the summer time because it's warmer and there's more humidity outside and generally my hair is more prone to dryness during the winter anyway.

It's probably more useful if you live in a climate where the winters are harsh and the air is dry. I just can't see someone needing a steamer and they live in an area that is humid for most of the year and the winters are very mild. I think if a person has hair that is prone to dryness they should address first what is making it that way before they invest in a steamer. I noticed with my hair that when I stopped using shampoo to wash it and used a conditioner instead the dryness was gone.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
*raises hand*
UM, ME.

When I first got my steamer, my hair was actually feeling worse after DC treatments. It turned out that I was steaming for too long (2 hours :look:...don't look at me like that, it felt really good under there :grin:) so I cut back to 30 min, and that improved the situation a ton.
But even with that, my hair isn't that much better when I steam. It feels moister and softer, but not $110 moister and softer. Maybe $50 moister and softer.

I still use it though because I paid for it + my new growth seems to enjoy it + it's very therapeutic. I carry tension in my scalp when I'm stressed, and the steamer followed by a scalp massage does wonders. But when it finally breaks down, I don't plan on buying another one. I may get a heat cap instead, and call it a day.

Alta Angel

My steamer is definitely the best hair-related purchase that I have made. I have been steaming my hair once a week for thirty minutes for about 1 year and 6 months with Design Essentials Stimulations Conditioner. The steamer has paid for itself in the first month of use since steam treatments are $25 at my salon. Anyhoo, during my first months of transition, I honestly did not see much difference. After about 2-3 months of steam treatments, my transitioning hair was less prone to breakage and held moisture longer. About 1 year in I discovered Porosity Control and my hair has never looked back.

I moisturize with Kimmaytube's Leave in once per week and Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier 3xs per week. I mist a light spray of distilled water, castor oil, and jojoba oil daily. Before, I was applying a leave-in creamy moisturizer daily or more.

silenttullip

I don't have one and well... Until I really see a need for one it's not happening. Now I do plan to get a bonnet dryer or foldable dryer but my turban and plastic caps do me just fine :)